Safety razor advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I bought a safety razor a while back. The blade is replaced by turning the handle, which should open up the head in a clamshell manner. Mine doesn't, cos it's stuck.

I tried spraying some GT85 into it, without luck. I've also soaked it in vinegar, thinking it might have been caused by timescale clogging the thread, but still no joy.

Any ideas as to what I can try, before I bin it?

ETA: "limescale", obviously, but I kinda like that error.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Timescale... I love productive text!

Try soaking it in some water with bicarb and a bit of lemon juice.

Become a hipster.
This doesn't necessarily mean grow a beard. Hipsters who are clean-shaven would go artisanal.

AP-Donovan-Straight-razor-78-cut-throat-mahogany-silver-badger-shaving-brush-and-strop-0.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not trying to be your mother but., when you apply increasing force to it, first think "will I slice my fingers if this breaks / opens suddenly?" A razor blade cut would be nasty to say the least.

If you fail with it, I suspect the other style where it simply unscrews into top bit, middle bit and handle, is less likely to jam solid. Mine haven't at any rate and I can vouch for the Edwin Jagger ones as v nice well, made and work well- £20 a pop, but you only ever need one (though I have a 2nd for my going away bag) - and as you know, the blades themselves cost buttons.

subaqua

What’s the point
Not trying to be your mother but., when you apply increasing force to it, first think "will I slice my fingers if this breaks / opens suddenly?" A razor blade cut would be nasty to say the least.

If you fail with it, I suspect the other style where it simply unscrews into top bit, middle bit and handle, is less likely to jam solid. Mine haven't at any rate and I can vouch for the Edwin Jagger ones as v nice well, made and work well- £20 a pop, but you only ever need one (though I have a 2nd for my going away bag) - and as you know, the blades themselves cost buttons.
waterpump pliers or tricians grips keep fingers away from sharp hurty parts :smile:
water-pump-plier-bj-L.jpg

Top Bottom