Segregated, none-broken, cycle lanes on all A roads by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That to me is heaven. With facilities like that I could take my son out without an anxiety. I especially like the fact that where the lanes cross the road the bikes have priority.
that to me looks like suburbia devoid of meaning, and not the kind of place one would take children to.

and sometimes we come up with good reasons why crap shouldn't be done. As in cycle paths.
So why not just do decent ones instead? There are plenty of examples..erm...abroad. Why just muddle through with the half baked shoot we have now?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yes, in my opinion. And that's why when anybody suggests installing segregated lanes round our way I write a letter to my councillors suggesting that this is a bad idea. And yes they cost a fortune, and no I don't want money wasted on A road upgrades either, or on any dual carriageway. We've a surfeit of roads in this country - it's time to start closing them, not opening new ones.

Now, if you want cycle lanes hither, thither and yon, go and campaign for them. Just don't expect much support from cyclists

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
No. Won't!
you mean you can't

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You want to slow down a section of quasi motorway which only recently had its speed increased from 50 mph to NSL after several side roads were blocked off and replaced with slip roads and an underpass? Can I have some of what you're having please!
that's exactly what I want. And I reckon I've got as much chance if not more than the OP of getting what I want.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
[QUOTE 2261079, member: 45"]Who are we to tell Hans to stop dawdling and get back on the roads?[/quote]
my case reclines on the chaise longue and smokes a large panatella. That is one crap place.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 2261071, member: 45"]Here's an example I've used before. NSL road, no room for overtaking a bike without going right out into the opposing lane. It's one thing to expect a car to slow behind a family of 4 until it can pass safely, and another to expect the opposing traffic to slow to allow the car to enter their lane and pass safely. There's absolutely no reason not to allow cyclists to use the path alongside, and there are obvious benefits. The only argument against this seems to be the alarmist, nonsensical view that once we start using paths like that we're doomed to being thrown off the roads. And there's absolutely no evidence to justify that fear.[/quote]
Not a great example. Unless you're going exactly from Hinton Cross to Ashton under Hill there's no reason to use that road. If you're going somewhere likely - Evesham to Tewkesbury, for instance, there's an alternative route which is just as convenient, about half a mile longer and far more pleasant.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 2261151, member: 45"]It's the type of road I'm interested in, not its location.[/quote]
Find an example which is (a) busy, (b) on a desired route, and (c) has no real alternative.

It's not that easy. The A9 around Perth and Inverness is one decent example

that's exactly what I want. And I reckon I've got as much chance if not more than the OP of getting what I want.
So we're all whistling in the wind? No point discussing it then? Thing is there is a section of segregated cycle path running alongsided the A1 nr Stannington. It ain't perfect by any means but it has commuters, little old ladies and groups of roadies all using it as it connects some quieter more pleasant roads. More (and better) of these for me rather than some pipe dream that major trunk routes are going to 'calmed' so cyclists can use them more comfortably.

Top Bottom