Shearer and Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
User482 said:
Quite. That was the only point I was making. Still, PaulB got a chance to display his egregious inverse snobbery...

Red noses just like to bang on about how many European Cups they have won :biggrin:

drone, drone, drone

Four of them were won in the years 1977 -84 when an English team won the trophy just about every year ... inlcuding the mighty Notts Forest (twice) and Aston Villa. Of course no other English teams had the opportunity to win it for a few years after that due to Heysel.

Mind you, at least you had to actually be Champions of something to get into the competition in those days. Nowadays a distant fourth counts as being a 'Champion'.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Chris James said:
Four of them were won in the years 1977 -84 when an English team won the trophy just about every year ...(except Everton) inlcuding the mighty Notts Forest (twice) and Aston Villa. Of course no other English teams had the opportunity to win it for a few years after that due to Heysel. Didn't take long, did it? Ifitadnabinfereysel. It's in-bred into them now.

Mind you, at least you had to actually be Champions of something to get into the competition in those days. Nowadays a distant fourth counts as being a 'Champion'.

I've had the Jehovah's Witnesses at the door already today so I've no wish to hear or read any more made up fairy stories, thanks.

PaulB

Legendary Member
User482 said:
Quite. That was the only point I was making. Still, PaulB got a chance to display his egregious inverse snobbery...

Well no actually. My point was in response to your cockney-centric snobbery relating to "the provinces".

U

User482

PaulB said:
Well no actually. My point was in response to your cockney-centric snobbery relating to "the provinces".

I made no such comment. My comments all refer to football clubs rather than places. Take that chip off your shoulder.

Chris James

Über Member
PaulB said:
I've had the Jehovah's Witnesses at the door already today so I've no wish to hear or read any more made up fairy stories, thanks.

What is made up or a fairy story about English clubs being banned from Europe due to the Heysel 'disaster'?

Surely it is reasonable to point out that, after you taking the mick saying no London teams had won the European cup, the league champions Arsenal were denied entry to the competition in 1989 due to Liverpool getting them banned?

Especially since English clubs had won the competition 7 times out of the 9 years before they got banned, so it wasn't as if the English champions didn't stand a good chance of winning it.

Chris James said:
Red noses just like to bang on about how many European Cups they have won :biggrin:

drone, drone, drone

Four of them were won in the years 1977 -84 when an English team won the trophy just about every year ... inlcuding the mighty Notts Forest (twice) and Aston Villa. Of course no other English teams had the opportunity to win it for a few years after that due to Heysel.

The irony of that for Everton supporters is they would have been in it next year with a team who stood a chance. I well understand that might leave a bitter taste. Not the most glorious moment in Liverpool's history, though of course it's never as simple as that.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Completely off topic, but I think you might find that it was Ned Flanders, not
Kent Brockman who asked Homer: Are you cycling two abreast?. The episode was on TV a few days ago, and a young Homer and Marge had been picked up in a car by the Flanders.

Andrew

Chris James

Über Member
User482 said:
I made no such comment. My comments all refer to football clubs rather than places. Take that chip off your shoulder.

To be fair, if it wans't for the fact that you live in Bristol and I thought from previous postings that you originally came from Lancashire ???? then I might have prickled at the word 'provincial'.

Whilst it can be used to imply non sophisticated, its most normal usage, especially by people from London, means anyone and anywhere outside the capital.

Which would include the vast majority of all football league clubs, including most, if not all, of the founder members and with the exceptrion of Arsenal, all of the most successful clubs in football history.

Chris James

Über Member
Crackle said:
The irony of that for Everton supporters is they would have been in it next year with a team who stood a chance. I well understand that might leave a bitter taste. Not the most glorious moment in Liverpool's history, though of course it's never as simple as that.

Yes, we were banned from the European Cup for 85/86 AND 87/88. As well the UEFA Cup for 86/87 and 88/89. It was particularly galling as our fans were praised by the Rotterdam police for their good behaviour, including playing footie with the local police.

Having said all that, most teams in the eighties had some fans who were just intent on cauisng trouble.

Chris James

Über Member
cisamcgu said:
Completely off topic, but I think you might find that it was Ned Flanders, not
Kent Brockman who asked Homer: Are you cycling two abreast?. The episode was on TV a few days ago, and a young Homer and Marge had been picked up in a car by the Flanders.

Andrew

Don't worry about that, we went off topic ages ago. the words Newcastle and Shearer probably haven't featured for two pages!

U

User482

Chris James said:
To be fair, if it wans't for the fact that you live in Bristol and I thought from previous postings that you originally came from Lancashire ???? then I might have prickled at the word 'provincial'.

Whilst it can be used to imply non sophisticated, its most normal usage, especially by people from London, means anyone and anywhere outside the capital.

Which would include the vast majority of all football league clubs, including most, if not all, of the founder members and with the exceptrion of Arsenal, all of the most successful clubs in football history.

Right on both counts. I grew up in a place called Ramsbottom (just down the road from PaulB) and have lived in Bristol for the last 10 years. I support West Ham because of family connections - my dad and granddad are both from London.

I wasn't aware that "provincial clubs" was normally taken to mean teams anywhere outside of London. I was thinking of those sorts of mediocre teams that view the arrival of someone like West Ham as a chance to kick them up the air, and avoid playing football at all costs. It can be pretty depressing stuff. In any case, my meaning ought to have become clear in my subsequent posts.

Don't know why certain posters are so bloody loyal and supportive to their home team, when said home team is made up of so many alien and foreign players!

This, of course, applies to virtually every team in the four professional leagues, but a little bit of modesty and self-restaint wouldn't go amiss!

And some chip-removing would be nice, too!

rich p said:
Not enough foreigners in the Seagull's squad!

How are Oslo Academicals doing these days Dayvo?

On the radio this morning, they were going on about how good the national team is (they beat Finland in a friendly 3-2) and seem glad that they are ranked 41st in the world!

Egil 'Drillo' Olsen (play the long ball) is their manager again (as in the man who took Wimbledon down and out of the Premier League several years ago.

Football's crap here! As it is in most places! :tongue:

Top Bottom