Should i ask for compensation for my bike and loss of earnings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After Wednesday's incident when another cyclist fell over and then knocked me over as well, do you think i should ask him to pay for the damage. Also what about my so far two days off work? He only apologised and said "accidents will happen". He hasn't contacted me to see how i am or anything. The bike damage is a tear in the saddle and a scratched right shifter. I don't know how long i'll be off riding for or how long it'll be before i can climb a ladder, to work again.

AndyRM

XOXO
Do it properly, consult a solicitor.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Post one on other thread was that you were overtaking him and he wobbled over to his right, ergo you hadn't left enough room to anticipate that. If a car overtook you that close then you'd be on hear moaning about it.

You have to put it down to a riding accident, especially as you were both part of the same group. If you choose to pursue him via a solicitor then you'll need to find some new friends as well as a new group once word gets around.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes i've thought about that, but a month's lost pay will be a problem. I think if he was going to offer damages he'd have been in contact by now.

That was my only point - the attitude of the others needs to be considered.

I agree you are going to get nothing from the other guy without a fight.

Agreed. I suppose my advice was a little blunt, and I don't know the nature of the relationship so it could be that a chat would be easier than going litigious right off the bat.

As was mine.

Post one on other thread was that you were overtaking him and he wobbled over to his right, ergo you hadn't left enough room to anticipate that. If a car overtook you that close then you'd be on hear moaning about it.

You have to put it down to a riding accident, especially as you were both part of the same group. If you choose to pursue him via a solicitor then you'll need to find some new friends as well as a new group once word gets around.
And you won't be Accy Cyclist any more.
Probably St Ives Cyclist

You voluntarily joined a group ride where another rider accidentally fell over knocking you over at the same time. Unless you're going to claim malice or gross negligence by the other rider I think 'them's the breaks' is most applicable here. You can ask for damages and you can expect nothing.

potsy

Rambler
Tricky one this, do you know the guy?

Maybe have a chat with him first, see if you can get a feel for whether he would be willing to contribute something towards the repairs and your loss of pay.

Sounds like an accident to me and not a lot of blame could be put on him if him or others say you passed too closely.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Some strong opinions here so be warned if it isn't what you want to hear....

Idiots like you stop a lot of volunteers organising things for the benefit of others. Idiots like you mean the rest of us end up paying disproportionate inflated insurance premiums when we try to protect ourselves against REASONABLE losses. Idiots like you are making a fortune for the pseudo-legal industry, ever wondered why all the adverts on the radio for reclaiming PPI/had bad guts on holiday/been involved in a trip, slip, fall/bought a timeshare and don't want to pay your bill anymore, are playing endlessly.
Grow up and be a big boy. Cycling is safe but like many things in life (in fact everything) it is not entirely risk free. From your description it would seem the other rider was not negligent. These things happen, get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom