Show us your Commuting Bike !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Rather usefully the engineers at my place let me raid their stocks of stainless steel bolts and have even cut down to size longer than required ones if the diameter was suitable. Usually six mm. Managed to replace rusty ones on my handlebars for nice round headed hex key ones. What size do you need? Gez

I got mine from Stainless Automotive Fastenings, very reasonable and every conceivable size you'll need. Their products are not as shiny-polished and tarty as some, but the prices reflect this.

johnnyh

Veteran
The workhorse on the canal path yesterday - panniers left at home and just a stuff sack and bungee for clothes.
OK, I know I've replaced all but the frame and forks, but 4 and a half years and many thousands of commuter miles under its belt and it has been great value. (£250 notes when I purcahsed it)
532791_10151739675685580_647395579_24255693_25111752_n.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The workhorse on the canal path yesterday - panniers left at home and just a stuff sack and bungee for clothes.
OK, I know I've replaced all but the frame and forks, but 4 and a half years and many thousands of commuter miles under its belt and it has been great value. (£250 notes when I purcahsed it)
532791_10151739675685580_647395579_24255693_25111752_n.jpg
Hello this is my first post on this site. I was flicking through the posts and i saw your Carrera virtuoso. I have recently dug mine out(deep red in colour) after it's been gathering serious dust in the shed for about 7 years. I've power washed it and i'm waiting for a bloke who comes to the house to service bikes to replace rusted bits etc then i'll get some touring tyres fitted and i'll have a nice bike to go where my Scott road bike wont.
I must have done 17,000+ miles on my Carrera. It was a great bargain at 250 quid 13 years ago!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
yep, when I got mine the first thing I did was set it up properly, but that aside it has been flawless.
Mine is 3 years old and used as a commuter/winter club bike and still makes me smile when i rideit,its done at leats 10,000 miles and i have had to replace the BB and a new wheel as i dented the rim on a pothole and the freehub was in need of a grease so it worked out easier to just replace the wheel.Apart from that its just been new chains,cassettes, pads and a recable of the brakes to keep it running smoothly.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Yes since i blasted all the years of muck off i've been told that you have to be very careful where you blast.:surrender: I was careful not to hit the "delicate bits" head on, i did them at an angle and only for a second or so.
The bike came up like new, apart from the usual scratches and chips. I've had the gear shifters replaced by(excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge please)those things that sit on top of the bars, like the old 3 speed bikes had. The mechanic said the original shifters had corroded and would cost about £100 to buy and fit. He's put me a couple of "chunky(ish)" tyres on and stopped the slight wobble on the back wheel, so my old faithful has been restored/saved and i'm buying a cycle computer to record all the long journeys i'll hopefully be making over the Summer and beyond.
It's cost me £65, a lot cheaper than buying a replacement, and as i have many happy memories of my Carrera i feel like i'm renewing old aquaintances!:hugs:

Herr-B

This arrived on my doorstep this morning, didn't have time to get it all ready before I had to leave for work. :sad:

Still need to adjust bars and seat, and inflate the rubber. Hoping it's nice weather this evening. :thumbsup:

ribblebuilt.jpg

Top Bottom