Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah, saw that thread, made me commit to it. I managed to get mine for 950 including the mudguards and a full 1 1/2 hour fitting session.

The mudguards are bontrager ones.

Just flashed the CC so a pair of Bontrager mudguards on order.
Will fit over the weekend.

How you getting on with your Honky?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[quote="Marty[/ATTACH]

The only decent photo of my real steel - A Genesis Altitude 00. This was taken during my exploration of the lime stone tracks above Wensleydale, and just before a clipless off^_^[/quote]

Lovely, taken at altitude too by the look of it. 'Wallace' would have enjoyed the venue I am sure.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Getting on fine with the bike. Bit wobbly with the cycling though. I'm very nervous at the moment. Not going fast at all.

You'll get used to it Foss.
Soon you will be zooming along at a rate of knots.
The crap weather is not helping any either is it?

fossala

Guru
You'll get used to it Foss.
Soon you will be zooming along at a rate of knots.
The crap weather is not helping any either is it?
The weather doesn't bother me, going past places where people pull out of makes me feel sick with worry if there is a car even sitting there. Maybe I should move it to another thread. Maybe people have tips on how to overcome the anxiety.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have 3 bikes, all steel. This is the one I use the most - I love it. It's also the oldest by a long way; c.1980. I'm thinking of treating it to some flashy bar tape or maybe even a respray, but I also want to preserve it so I'm torn. I'll probably remove the rear brake some time as I don't use it.

KIF_1475.jpg
These sort of bikes are fantastic if you're looking for something to convert into a decent touring bike.

UPDATE.

Here's my newly refurbished and thoroughly fettled Dawes Stratos.

img1626rd.jpg

Before PICS

After PICS

The list of fettling includes;

The frame has been thoroughly cleaned, rust spots treated and touched up with Humbrol enamel #68, it's been Waxoyled internally and the Dawes and Stratos decals have been reproduced and replaced, (the light is reflecting of the Stratos decal on the top tube in this pic).

105 Aero brake levers
Refurbed the bars and wrapped with new Deda bar tape
Refurbed the stem in the original black finish
New 1' threaded headset installed
Reinstated the 105 downtube shifters
Fitted new Blackburn bottle cages
Stripped and cleaned the chainset
BB shell has been faced and the threads chased, and a new UN54 sealed BB fitted
Fitted SPD-SL pedals
Stripped and cleaned both mechs
New KMC chain
Refurbed the seatpost to co-ordinate with the stem
San Marco Rolls saddle fitted, (on trial from deptfordmarmoset)
New seatpin bolt
Crud Road Racers and light brackets fitted for commuting duties
Gatorskin Hardshells fitted with new tubes and new rim tape
New 7 speed cassette
Wheels cleaned and trued, bearings seem OK but will get replaced in due course
Tiagra calipers bought off accountantpete, (the original 105 ones were shot at)
New brake block carriers fitted along with Swissstop green pads
New inner cables throughout, (outers are fine and have been flushed through anyway with GT85)

Still to do:
Cable crimp ends on gear cables, (ran out and need to stock up)
Wheel bearings, (not urgent)
Make a saddle decision
Sort front pad toe in as it was squeaking on today's ride
Consider a different cassette with a rider range than this killer!

I'm glad I chose to just do an easy sympathetic restoration :whistle:

Proof if proof was needed how these things can easily snowball beyond your expectations, but I don't mind as I now know the bike is tip top and fit for many more miles with me in the driving seat.

The only criticism I've got after a quick 11 mile ride today is the engine is pretty poor after a lazy winter ;)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
UPDATE.

Here's my newly refurbished and thoroughly fettled Dawes Stratos.

You've really done a great job on that. Very sympatheticly handled. If you do do change the cassette for a wider range one you might have to change the derailleur too, but you can get a 105 med cage from Chainreaction for £38.

Sorry I forgot to ask you, how are you finding the the San Marco saddle?
Hmmm, not sure TBH. I've only had one quick ride on it, but it feels does feel pretty wide.

I've just bought another saddle off of flying start. It's not exactly 'appropriate' but hey ho, watch this space.

The Rolls is about the same size/shape as the original Turbo saddle that came on the bike, so I might pop that back on and give it a whirl as well now the bikes built back up.

I hate saddles! If money was no object I'd stick a Specialized Romin Expert on it, again maybe not appropriate but that's what I'm using on the CAAD now, and after many saddles attempts I do like the Romin.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
just been given this by a mate? don't know what it really is has Raleigh Road Ace frame decals and a Phillips head badge decal?, it has poor quality fittings, headset, fork ends and crown etc but a 531 decal on the seat tube. It was a second hand purchase by my mate so I have no real clues. Still main thing is it's a 25" and will do as a base for my return to fixed wheel riding, it has a short rear drop out though :sad: . I will see how it rides before I see if it is a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 81

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Colouring and decals put it near or around 1986 - I had a 1986 Road Ace, Blue head tube, pearl white frame, but part blue forks and blue near saddle. Decals are similar to mine was, but in a different place. Had Raleigh on down tube, road ace on top tube.

Maybe it's a respray ?

Only issues I'd have are the 1986 Road Ace did not have mudguard eyelets, the earlier models may have. My bike came with Shimano 600.

Badge wise - they had a tendancy to fall off ! Mine did.

Top Bottom