Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Colouring and decals put it near or around 1986 - I had a 1986 Road Ace, Blue head tube, pearl white frame, but part blue forks and blue near saddle. Decals are similar to mine was, but in a different place. Had Raleigh on down tube, road ace on top tube.

Maybe it's a respray ?

Only issues I'd have are the 1986 Road Ace did not have mudguard eyelets, the earlier models may have. My bike came with Shimano 600.

Badge wise - they had a tendancy to fall off ! Mine did.

Cheers, I have looked at this bike more closely and think it is a Raleigh but an entry level job which has received a make over with more expensive type decals stuck on it. I think my mate might have got turned over when he bought it I certainly now don't think it's 531. I am glad I didn't pay for it. I might keep it to put on a turbo trainer if I ever get one but don't think it will spend much time on the road. so back to the drawing board for a fixed wheel smoker as I have found out I am a bit of a snob in what I will ride on the road and don't fancy this much now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here we go - this is the 1986 model road ace - I had the same.

http://www.lfgss.com/thread69197.html

Cheers, I have looked at this bike more closely and think it is a Raleigh but an entry level job which has received a make over with more expensive type decals stuck on it. I think my mate might have got turned over when he bought it I certainly now don't think it's 531. I am glad I didn't pay for it. I might keep it to put on a turbo trainer if I ever get one but don't think it will spend much time on the road. so back to the drawing board for a fixed wheel smoker as I have found out I am a bit of a snob in what I will ride on the road and don't fancy this much now.

why not use this as a starter frame, buying the bits and bobs you need and wait till a frame that floats yer boat comes along and swap stuff over, you may be a suprised how attached you get to a bike you start from scratch with.

just a thought

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
why not use this as a starter frame, buying the bits and bobs you need and wait till a frame that floats yer boat comes along and swap stuff over, you may be a suprised how attached you get to a bike you start from scratch with.

just a thought
I know what you mean, I have built up many frames in the past from scratch and have been very attached to them and suppose I really should give this one a chance. I miss my 1950s Hobbs fixed wheel which was a real beaut with Chater Lea fittings and think I may be comparing this to it. I do need a fixed wheel as I have to put some speed in my legs and don't fancy turning my Saracen into one so with my budget I think you may be right as you never know what is round the corner.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The mudguards are bontrager ones. Here are pictures of how they where fitted (they also did that for free).
The front mudguard was bent, this is needed to clear the disc brake. The rear didn't need any "adjustments".

Hi Foss.
Well got the Bontrager Guards last week.
Managed to fit them today. A bit of a faff having to get cutty with a hacksaw and bendy with a vice. But got there in the end.
'Scuse fuzzy pics.

SDC13408.JPG

SDC13410.JPG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice to see them looking good. How are you finding them now they are fitted?

Don't know mate. Maiden run with them tomorrow. And it's looking like they will be a welcome addition.

T1PAU

Similar to a sturmey hub.....well it's got cogs and stuff inside it!
and the cars similiar to your old Dutton...in that it's got four wheels and an engine.

Top Bottom