Side lights on cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, no, no! A million times, NO! Sorry to disagree but that is one of my (many) pet hates with regards to my fellow road users.

Sidelights in a built up area just blend into all the other lights such as street lights, shop windows etc.. In wet conditions they are all but impossible to see in your mirrors. They may not be necessary for vision, but they are most certainly needed to BE SEEN, which IMHO is more important.

As a motorcyclist with a plastic visor to see out of, with no windscreen wiper to clear it, a car with sidelights on becomes invisible in the rain.

As an HGV driver, I NEED to be able to see a car when it is a long way back, as my trailer alone is 45 feet long. A bit of rain on my mirrors, and I can assure you it is VERY difficult to pick out a car with sidelights on. DIPPED HEADLIGHTS only please!

Thank you, but why does this country allow sidelights? Mind you the EU is now going to the other extreme in that all new cars from, I think I read next Feb [but could be wrong on the date] will have to display running lights at all times, now that is bonkers. Motorcyclists not happy.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The trouble is that everything needs to be a compromise.
What is good for one road user type isn't always equally as good for all the other road user types.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thank you, but why does this country allow sidelights? Mind you the EU is now going to the other extreme in that all new cars from, I think I read next Feb [but could be wrong on the date] will have to display running lights at all times, now that is bonkers. Motorcyclists not happy.

A bit of nannying has become necessary because clearly a sizeable proportion of drivers don't know what lights they should be using. So the choice is being made for them. Seems a bit crazy that they will have to be on during daylight hours too, but that is the price we have to pay.

Not an ideal solution, and as a motorcyclist it does concern me slightly. Overall though, I think it will be an improvement on the situation we have just now.

Norm

I think that the history is that dim-dip were brought in because we wanted to make it impossible to drive on parking lights. They were phased out a few years later because the vehicle design regulations were harmonised across Europe, although I can't remember if it was the EU that stopped it or just some specific countries.

And not all motorcyclists are unhappy with permanent lights.

I've spent a lot of time working and driving in Denmark and Sweden where it has been a requirement for years. I am quite happy to have it over here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't think tail lights on the vehicle in front would make any worthwhile difference when travelling into a low sun.

When cycling towards a low sun I get off the bike when I hear a car coming

In low sun I stick my lights on, especially my bike..........

It does make a difference visibility wise even for a car. My 2 x 3w rear LED's help with that. I'm often on a dual carriageway, in low winter sun heading south - on go the lights.

I'm with, if car lights need to be used, then it's full on. I see sidelights as parking lights only.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've seen a few people of late driving around at night with their side lights on and their fog lights. Instead of just their main lights. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ARS*HOLES

+1. Why do car manufacturers waste money on fitting front fog lights anyway, other than to appeal to arrogant, selfish poseurs? They serve no purpose whatsoever even in fog. I have them fitted to my cheapo-matic Toyota and I have tried them in fog. They do nothing that dipped headlights don't already do. It was the same with a VW Golf I used to own, and several other more expensive makes that I have had the use of. So Audi/Merc/BMW drivers, you are impressing no-one. SWITCH THEM OFF!

Cardiac

Über Member
I've seen a few people of late driving around at night with their side lights on and their fog lights. Instead of just their main lights. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ARS*HOLES
Nothing. they are 100% perfectly functional ars*holes.

On the other hand, my car manufacturer (Volvo) has decided that my headlights stay on all of the time anyway. I also have so-called front fog lights, but don't use them.

Stephenite

Membå
No cyclist is happy with the introduction of DRLs. The arms race has begun...

Haha, sheddy. I get your point.

Living in norway i'm used to driving lights (as I call them - running lights or DRLs to others). And want them introduced to the UK. But, i concede that it could make cyclists less noticable. I usually wear hi-vis and the rear-light on when commuting by bike and this seems to stand out enough.

Globalti

Legendary Member
+1. Why do car manufacturers waste money on fitting front fog lights anyway, other than to appeal to arrogant, selfish poseurs? They serve no purpose whatsoever even in fog. I have them fitted to my cheapo-matic Toyota and I have tried them in fog. They do nothing that dipped headlights don't already do. It was the same with a VW Golf I used to own, and several other more expensive makes that I have had the use of. So Audi/Merc/BMW drivers, you are impressing no-one. SWITCH THEM OFF!

Completely agree - I've had cars with fog lights and as far as I can see they are no better than dipped headlights in fog. I can only assume that car manufacturers offer them because significant numbers of buyers still think they work, which must be some kind of throwback from the fifties and sixties when car ownership was growing fast and people had all kinds of stupid yellow lamps on their bumpers with extra switches on the dashboard. I get to spec my company car and I never get fog lights, I'd rather spend the allowance on a winter pack with heated seats and washer nozzles.

When I'm out at night and I see cars coming the other way with fog lights on I flash them the same way as I would if they were on main beam. When they don't switch off I flash them again then give them full beam and sometimes even the horn as I pass them, as long as it's open country with no houses nearby. I know it's dangerous and illegal but I hate the stupid feckers.

subaqua

What’s the point
I think that the history is that dim-dip were brought in because we wanted to make it impossible to drive on parking lights. They were phased out a few years later because the vehicle design regulations were harmonised across Europe, although I can't remember if it was the EU that stopped it or just some specific countries.

And not all motorcyclists are unhappy with permanent lights.

I've spent a lot of time working and driving in Denmark and Sweden where it has been a requirement for years. I am quite happy to have it over here.

see my wikipedia link. :smile:

in brief the EU prosecuted the UK govt for the innovation of Dim Dip becaus it wasn't a harmonised regulation. they were very shortsighted in not going the other way and making part of the harmonisation

subaqua

What’s the point

now thats strange cos on Her Skoda it gives a wider spread of light at a low level, which is really good for illuminating the kerb area. that said i do only use them when the fog levels require , same for rear fog lamps .

now that really annoys me when idiots put them on as soon as it starts raining

GrasB

Veteran
When I'm out at night and I see cars coming the other way with fog lights on I flash them the same way as I would if they were on main beam. When they don't switch off I flash them again then give them full beam and sometimes even the horn as I pass them, as long as it's open country with no houses nearby. I know it's dangerous and illegal but I hate the stupid feckers.
I hope you know the difference between a fog light & a supplementary driving light.

Top Bottom