Sky TdF team...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wish him all the best. A patella fracture ended David (Sid) Lawrence's cricket career, although his injury was particularly awful.

MikeG

Guru
Wish him all the best. A patella fracture ended David (Sid) Lawrence's cricket career, although his injury was particularly awful.
Sid's problem was the ligament attached to the patella, I think. Just breaking the bone itself might not be too huge an issue, but if the soft tissue around it is damaged, ligaments, tendons etc, then that's a tough thing for a pro sportsman to get over.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
No chance. He doesn't dine at the top table of sprinters especially after riding the giro.

It's all about froome so it will all be domestiques
I have to agree.

I would go further & say that Ben Swift is not a sprinter.

He regularly comes in around 7 > 10 th place even against a relatively mediocre group.

I don't know what his forte' might be, but it's not sprinting, maybe he can change his task within the team.

Shame really, I love to support the Brits & he seems like a nice guy.

MisterStan

Label Required
I have to agree.

I would go further & say that Ben Swift is not a sprinter.

He regularly comes in around 7 > 10 th place even against a relatively mediocre group.

I don't know what his forte' might be, but it's not sprinting, maybe he can change his task within the team.

Shame really, I love to support the Brits & he seems like a nice guy.
Do you think Swift would perform better if he got a nice lead out? I always feel that SKY place too much on the GC and not enough on stage wins, I understand why they do it, but it does make things a little dull at times.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Do you think Swift would perform better if he got a nice lead out? I always feel that SKY place too much on the GC and not enough on stage wins, I understand why they do it, but it does make things a little dull at times.
Yes, probably, but he would still not be a winning sprinter.

The Sky GC issue is why Cav had to get out.

Ben has the wrong build & lacks the strength & aggression to be a World class sprinter, his timing is sometimes poor & I have seen him bail out of the fight early on too many occasions.

I would like him to stay in the sport as a pro, but what role fits ?

Maybe someone else who has a better understanding can suggest what Ben could do.

Swift has been developing quite nicely this year and has put in some strong results, the sort that could see him win classics races or think about challenging for the Green jersey. 5th in the points competition at the Giro, 38th in the mountains competition, 3rd in the points at Pais Vasco, 3rd Milan San Remo, plus a host of other good results. he's probably one of the most promising riders at Sky at the moment.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Swift has been developing quite nicely this year and has put in some strong results, the sort that could see him win classics races or think about challenging for the Green jersey. 5th in the points competition at the Giro, 38th in the mountains competition, 3rd in the points at Pais Vasco, 3rd Milan San Remo, plus a host of other good results. he's probably one of the most promising riders at Sky at the moment.
What do you see his future role as Crackle ?

Edit.

Classics rider ?

I still don't see him as a sprinter, or any chance of a green jersey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom