Sky TdF team...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you see his future role as Crackle ?
At Sky. Part of their classics squad next year and going for points at stage races. Who knows though. He's 26 and his results this year have been surprising, so I'd like to see what else he's capable of, maybe a lot more or maybe this year is a one off, let's see. I'd be surprised if he made the Tour squad this year though.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Does anyone other than me think that Wiggo might defect the World Tour to live & race in the USA ??

I think it might be possible as he has popularity there & even with his statement of intent regards the Olympics.

He's a great character but has a flighty/fickle side, this is where my thought.came from.

At Sky. Part of their classics squad next year and going for points at stage races. Who knows though. He's 26 and his results this year have been surprising, so I'd like to see what else he's capable of, maybe a lot more or maybe this year is a one off, let's see. I'd be surprised if he made the Tour squad this year though.
He has been climbing bloody well of late. I don't class him as a sprinter, merely a good all rounder who can sprint too. I think he is a very good prospect for Sky. The limelight is often taken away from his likes due to the plethora of big names already hogging the spotlight at Sky.

MisterStan

Label Required
The full Sky team for the 2014 Tour de France will be: Chris Froome, Richie Porte, Geraint Thomas, Bernhard Eisel, Mikel Nieve, David López, Vasil Kiryienka, Xabier Zandio and Danny Pate.

A few surprises to me, Zandio and Lopez. Lopez because he didn't seem to ride well at the Dauphine and Zandio because I just can't recall what's he's done this year or even where he's been.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Froome alone in the mountains again like last year - portes form is poor, nieve is more of a stage winner than support man, havent seen zandio perform at all this year and although i'm a huge fan of bernie eisel, he's more of a sprint lead out man than he is mountain goat................can see contador licking his lips

Froome alone in the mountains again like last year - portes form is poor, nieve is more of a stage winner than support man, havent seen zandio perform at all this year and although i'm a huge fan of bernie eisel, he's more of a sprint lead out man than he is mountain goat................can see contador licking his lips

i can see Froome holding his own against dirty bertie... Contador will have a weaker team than Sky, they just don't have the strength in depth. Froom and Contador have shown that when it gets tough, they go it alone, the team-mates have been blown away by then.

the drug fuelled usps days are starting to fade and Sky has shown many times that when it goes vertical it is down to the team leader and a couple of able mates for support.

the only time the other eight will be called on en-masse is if it breaks up in echelons or someone does a long lone break.

the team looks good enough, they will never please everyone... to be honest, i haven't seen any teams where i thought all nine riders were top-notch.

as for Wiggins... i like him, but i think he can be his own worst enemy. bleating in the media that he isn't going to get selected, then sulking in the TdS doesn't help. i doubt Brailsford really trusted him to do the job, fearing he'd attack Froome (and split the team a la bertie and pharmstong at discovery) or just sulk along doing nothing.

RobNewcastle

Its always very hard to tell exactly how a team will do. Lopez is a definite ? and im.also not sure what Zandios role is. Disagree completely about Nieve and Eisel though. Nieve is a top climber and bang in form. Eisel is what they missed last year, a steady head with experience and powerful on the flat.....not simply a lead out man. Thomas will get a good workout on the climbs this year.

I don't think its such a weak team really.

Top Bottom