Sky TdF team...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beardy01

No wiggins........thought it was in its incummbancy a british team for british riders???? I know thats changed over the yrs but surely some of it should be retained. Wiggins is better than some of those in there. Froome could come unstuck...... but hes kenyan anyway!!!!!

The Couch

Über Member
.... i doubt Brailsford really trusted him to do the job, fearing he'd attack Froome (and split the team a la bertie and pharmstong at discovery) or just sulk along doing nothing.
Bertie still won that year though (and nevertheless how little assistance he got from Lance, he did still have him around in the mountains to discourage other teams)

Hont

Guru
Anyone else half hoping Froome breaks a collar-bone just to see Sky flap around with no plan B? :evil:

The only reason Wiggins was left out was team politics and I can't help feeling they've denied us some entertainment in doing so. :tired:

Bertie still won that year though (and nevertheless how little assistance he got from Lance, he did still have him around in the mountains to discourage other teams)

pharmstrong never rode to help anyone else - the fact that the team was split into two camps, with only a couple of riders helping Bertie, was only nullified by there being no real competitor... and, as i have said about bertie (and froome), he can fight alone.

having Wiggins in the team would be an issue and i doubt the combined egos would be able to cope. better to have riders who are willing to ride for their leader... it what they are paid for, shame Wiggins (and Froome in 2012) don't get that.

Sky want to win the race with their leader - as do the other GC contenders - nationality doesn't come into it. other teams have left out British riders, they have also left out French riders (lest we forget, all but 3 of the stages will be contested away from this island). i doubt any of them has a plan B if their leader gets injured - there is no room for two leaders in a team.

Hont

Guru
There is no room for two leaders in a team? If you're one of the leaders maybe. But I can't immediately think of an occasion where it's hurt the team's ambitions to win the race. Roche/Visentini, Cunego/Simoni, Hinault/Lemond, Armstrong/Contador, Froome/Wiggins. Never actually resulted in someone from a different team winning.

The fact is that Wiggins and Froome are already in the same team with the same ambitions so something's got to give whether Wiggins is at the tour or not. Might as well take him. If you've gained a knighthood for managing a sports team you should be able to manage that scenario surely?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If you've gained a knighthood for managing a sports team you should be able to manage that scenario surely?

So could it be other factors are coming in to play? It could be one of the riders has done the ultimatum thing behind closed doors, seems a bit sensationalist but then we are in prima donna territory. It could be that as there are so many races in the calendar and no-one is expected to do them all that they are keeping their powder dry for the other races. Although if the argument is that Wiggins isn't good enough for those when Froome is spent then why is he right for this one?

Might Sky think that having someone in their team carrying National and Commonwealth champion status is worth not sending him to the Tour?

Somewhere someone is counting beans and deciding what the best strategy is. We're talking about Team Sky here, that's basically their USP. If they really feel that they can't turn round to two of their riders and say 'ride in this and give us your best for the team' then one of them won't be there next year. If they are, then there is some other reason behind keeping them all. Maybe they like the headline inches?

woohoo

Veteran
Somewhere someone is counting beans and deciding what the best strategy is. We're talking about Team Sky here, that's basically their USP.

I think that is basically most teams' U(?)SP. IMO it probably had to be Wiggins or Froome (and I think they are more similar in attitude than either would like to admit) and the choice came down to who would stand the better chance of winning. Any other team, given the choice, would have gone the same way. It is a pity that Wiggins isn't riding the TdF in the year of the UK stages, but that's life.

I've not been able to run or cycle since Feb with patella pain and mine isn't even fractured.

That your rugby and cricket careers over as well?

beardy01

I think wiggins could have been a benefit to froome i dont really believe he could have lived with him, as much as it would have been good to see, but it smacks of froome and sour grapes. Like someone said earlier wiggo would certainly have brought some entertainment

I think wiggins could have been a benefit to froome i dont really believe he could have lived with him, as much as it would have been good to see, but it smacks of froome and sour grapes. Like someone said earlier wiggo would certainly have brought some entertainment

Yes Wiggins has the physical ability to be a good teammate to Froome but he's just not a team player, he can't be relied on to commit to the goals of the team. Brailsford has made the right decision.

There is no room for two leaders in a team? If you're one of the leaders maybe. But I can't immediately think of an occasion where it's hurt the team's ambitions to win the race. Roche/Visentini, Cunego/Simoni, Hinault/Lemond, Armstrong/Contador, Froome/Wiggins. Never actually resulted in someone from a different team winning.

The fact is that Wiggins and Froome are already in the same team with the same ambitions so something's got to give whether Wiggins is at the tour or not. Might as well take him. If you've gained a knighthood for managing a sports team you should be able to manage that scenario surely?

the team may have still had a rider win the race, but the discord isn't something that is good in the team. it may be entertaining for fans and book writers, but for the manager and other riders, it's a nightmare that isn't welcome at an already stressful time.

Brailsford has a knighthood for team managing and he has managed the scenario in a very good way, by preventing it happening. it is a no-brainer...

beardy01

Yes Wiggins has the physical ability to be a good teammate to Froome but he's just not a team player, he can't be relied on to commit to the goals of the team. Brailsford has made the right decision.
Not sure about that but time will tell!!!!but it would be gd to see wiggo put froome under pressure like in 2012 tdf , cycling shoe on the other foot and all that!!!!

Top Bottom