Smashed into a stationary car and broke off wing mirror. Ouch,ouch,ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

.stu

Über Member
Wing mirrors on modern cars are flippin expensive things. Next car I get will have a button wot I can press so it can retract its wing mirrors before I drive it into the garage. Not that a skilled individual like myself would ever need such a thing ... :whistle:
Theoretically, wouldn't have using said wing mirror prevented it's untimely demise?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
£280 for a wing mirror, more like £20 from a scrapyard and getting £260 out of you

£280 to replace a cycle wheel. I can get a complete bike for £60 in Toys-r-us

(see what I did there?)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, I don't think I am going off topic here as the OP's contributions seem to be encouraging a debate about the pros' and cons' of liability insurance for cyclists?

I have been considering insurance myself for a good while (probably over a year :whistle:) and the suggested BC Ride membership sounds almost ideal except for 2 sticking points which forum members might be able to help me with?

Having briefly read the T&Cs I see that incidents between BC members are not covered. This is fine in as much as I consider it is intended to avoid claims following conflicts in a competitive environment. My problem is that as a mainly utility rider who does around 80%+ of my mileage on the commute with the rest on family and forum leisure rides. I can easily foresee a situation where I am randomly involved in a collision with another BC member (whether they are riding or driving) while on the commute or out and about in the countryside. The T&Cs specifically exclude this from the cover. I have just rung their help/info line and BC have confirmed that my understanding is correct but it is considered on a case by case basis and such an incident 'may' be covered once the situation has been reviewed by their legal panel??? Now I may be worrying about a slim chance here but I consider my scenario to be not insignificant given the growing popularity of cycling and BC membership. If I were to take out the Ride Membership I would like to know exactly what I am insured for, nor what they 'might' choose to cover!

The second issue I have is that I have 2 young sons age 8 and 11 that are also becoming keen cyclists and I enquired about the availability of a family membership (It would be foolish and hypocritical of me to insure myself but not them?). Single membership is £32. Family membership has to include 2 adults (no problem, my wife cycles maybe 1/2 a dozen times a year) and costs £72! Is it me or does that seem a bit steep?

What is the legal position on liability responsibility of minors? I know as a parent I may feel morally responsible to put right any damage they do but if something serious happened due to the actions of my young children would I or they be legally liable?

So what do I do? BC Ride membership sounded ideal until I looked in to it. :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BC Silver here, and it's worth it for the legal cover and access to Leigh Day Solicitors. Haven't needed the third party, even when leaving a head shaped dent in a taxi (my fault). As for minors, then they can't be held liable.

If you were to say crash into a BC member's car by accident, then I'm sure they would cover you. It's more a mistake on the road like on a club run. There was that case where some club rider tried to sue another rider for not pointing out potholes.

Just get ride - it's cheaper than Silver.

subaqua

What’s the point
OK, I don't think I am going off topic here as the OP's contributions seem to be encouraging a debate about the pros' and cons' of liability insurance for cyclists?

I have been considering insurance myself for a good while (probably over a year :whistle:) and the suggested BC Ride membership sounds almost ideal except for 2 sticking points which forum members might be able to help me with?

Having briefly read the T&Cs I see that incidents between BC members are not covered. This is fine in as much as I consider it is intended to avoid claims following conflicts in a competitive environment. My problem is that as a mainly utility rider who does around 80%+ of my mileage on the commute with the rest on family and forum leisure rides. I can easily foresee a situation where I am randomly involved in a collision with another BC member (whether they are riding or driving) while on the commute or out and about in the countryside. The T&Cs specifically exclude this from the cover. I have just rung their help/info line and BC have confirmed that my understanding is correct but it is considered on a case by case basis and such an incident 'may' be covered once the situation has been reviewed by their legal panel??? Now I may be worrying about a slim chance here but I consider my scenario to be not insignificant given the growing popularity of cycling and BC membership. If I were to take out the Ride Membership I would like to know exactly what I am insured for, nor what they 'might' choose to cover!

The second issue I have is that I have 2 young sons age 8 and 11 that are also becoming keen cyclists and I enquired about the availability of a family membership (It would be foolish and hypocritical of me to insure myself but not them?). Single membership is £32. Family membership has to include 2 adults (no problem, my wife cycles maybe 1/2 a dozen times a year) and costs £72! Is it me or does that seem a bit steep?

What is the legal position on liability responsibility of minors? I know as a parent I may feel morally responsible to put right any damage they do but if something serious happened due to the actions of my young children would I or they be legally liable?

So what do I do? BC Ride membership sounded ideal until I looked in to it. :sad:

CTC affiliate through Dell wot does the FNRttC ;)

or CTC full family membership for £50 for 18 months if you DD it.

compo

Veteran
LCC for me £19 per year. (concessionary)
BC for me £32 (no concession available)

I guess I will stay with LCC.

Some dude bashed my wing mirror while doing similar...I gave him a right earful as he was trying to ride off...I don't think his English was very good given his bemused look when I asked if he was insured....no damage (was waiting at the lights leaving Cheam Tesco carpark minding my own business)

I clonked a wing mirror while trying to manoeuver into the bike lane on the A24 off the Ewell roundabout - 4x4 was across the lane, made a right racket, apology and driver seemed unperturbed, she even apologised
Um, you seem to have neglected your most notable encounter with a wing mirror

And that's a good example where having insurance means you don't have to even consider the driver making a claim against you. On less thing to worry about.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that one :whistle:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom