Somerset levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
jeltz said:
Out through Haydon, Holcombe and Stoke St Michael to The Horse and Jockey at Binegar, then back through Emborough and Chilcompton. This was the route the meal was very good, but in our Lycra we did get some odd looks from the other customers.

You got your Garmin then?

jeltz

Veteran
Speck said:
You got your Garmin then?

Hehe, yep decided I'd treat myself to a 40th Birthday present and got the 605. That was the 1st ride out with it. Still learning its capabilities, though.

Domino

Veteran
Hopefully up for a ride on 10th Jan. I got back from 10 days in St Lucia on Wed and had my first ride in a while yesterday. Bloody hell it's cold! (Nice tan though :sad: - goes with my white hair :laugh:). I'm so unfit I need at least a good couple of weeks to get back into it. I was going to go out today but after nearly coming off on ice yesterday I gave it a miss as the local road where the sun didn't get to was like an ice rink.

spinner

Went for a ride on the levels today: Well tried to ~ I didn’t even make it across the road from my house before I discovered they hadn’t been gritted and I was on an ice rink. The neighbours got a rather entertaining spectacle as I slid down the road sideways, anyway picked myself up and limped back home. Nothing hurt (other than my pride :sad: :laugh:).

Snowing here too...

Domino

Veteran
My last ride took me on the road from Wedmore to Wells. There's quite a few of those big square drains on that route which I try to avoid at the best of times. (wtf is it with somerset and those drains - never had em in Brum!) There was one though where water had collected and froze so I took it at a very wide berth. I took up prime position well in advance when some nutter in a Ford Ka decided they needed to cut me up and force me back onto the ice. Luckily I kept it level and stayed upright. White knuckle ride. Gits!

BlueDog

Veteran
My last ride of 2009; didn't get off to a flying start due to the usual Somerset congestion on the roads.... And then having to tackle the flooded levels between Godney and Glastonbury. Cold, but a great ride back through Ham Wall, Shapwick Heath and West Hay nature reserves.

Davidc - Yep, up for a Sunday ride - weather permitting....

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I rode out to Glastonbury, checking bits of my event, on Christmas Eve, and it was icy. Rode several miles on crunchy translucent frozen stuff. I'm in Scotland at the moment, but might be up for a Levels ride.

BlueDog

Veteran
Hi Maggot,

No problem with your route for Monday, as it's all dried up now - Ark marks the spot for info and I'm sure you must be well familiar with the picture with Glastonbury Tor on the left. It was also frozen - The poor ducks:biggrin::biggrin:

Incidentally, I was thinking about getting a decent front light for riding over the levels at night, but just how spooky is it:hyper:;)??

vorsprung

Veteran
On the 1st of January I did 100 miles, Uffculme, Taunton, A361 to Greinton, A39 back to Bridgwater, A39 to Dunster, up the hill to Wheddon X, down the slightly icey Exe Valley to Tiverton and home
On the Somerset levels part of the ride it was sunny but all the puddles were frozen. No ice on the road however.
This week I rode into work in Taunton Mon/Tues but last 3 days have been too cold, snowy and icey

Davidc

Guru
I'm looking forward to when this 'orrid cold slippery weather ends - haven't been anywhere, not even shopping, by bike since last Tuesday. Withdrawal symptoms are setting in ....

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
User76 said:
Crikey Ian, if you are in Scotland at the moment, come back to Somerset, it's like the Tropics in comparison:ohmy:

I came back and the snow followed me.

The provisional routesheet for the Glastonbury 100 miler is up on my website now. The ice should have gone by June, shouldn't it?

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
User76 said:
Is anyone going to be around on Sunday? Nothing too serious, in fact I can barely remember how to ride a bike! Maybe a trot out to the cafe at Westhay across the levels? No pressure, just a vague idea at the mo.

Weather doesn't look too bad, maybe worth a go. I've not been out for weeks.

Top Bottom