FNRttC Southend on Sea Night Ride Thursday 24th March 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Like Ross, I also discovered a piece of equipment that really works - rainlegs! It was the first time I'd really deployed them in anger, and they are brilliant. They keep the large muscles in your legs reasonably dry and warm without the boil-in-the-bag effects of waterproof trousers. They do look a bit weird though. I really recommend buying the black ones, as opposed to the silly yellow version :laugh:.

All the above is written with deep apologies to anyone who might have turned up at Victoria on a wet night having realised too late that they had left their rainlegs at home.
I always suspected you were a colossal pervert.

saoirse50

Veteran
Like Ross, I also discovered a piece of equipment that really works - rainlegs! I really recommend buying the black ones, as opposed to the silly yellow version.
My favourites were the mock denim ones. They don't seem to do them any more though.
HHTNPPYGFLGIJQI.20080421024602.jpg

AlexB

Veteran
I had a long discussion in the darkness over the merits of Rainlegs. I've no idea who it was, but the audible sceptism in his voice was entertaining.
Thanks for a great ride Titus and Martin. Really enjoyed it and raised how much I've missed doing these recently.

U

User10571

My favourites were the mock denim ones. They don't seem to do them any more though.

Let me guess....
NSTN, Not of these pages?
It is possible to print pretty much anything onto anything, these days.
This thought.
The one of leopard-skin.
How do I rid my mind of it, please?

ETA:
Or zebra stripes.
Art Deco, awheel.
Get in!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Thanks for the positive comments, several people put a lot of effort into this ride and the others this year. The Fridays is a bit like a swan moving elegantly across a lake: on the surface there is a graceful almost effortless elegance to the movement but underneath there's a lot of frantic paddling. Their reward, of course, is knowing the rides are enjoyed. What with setting up the website, emails, social meeja, shirts, programme of rides, The Tour, two mini-tours, recces, subs/Paypal, CTC, etc etc, it's been a busy time but now it should all go reasonably well.

Can you call across to one of the chief little helpers and find out what X is these days?
  • For you, @srw, X is an infinite number. Obvs.
  • Unless you fail to make the halfway stop on @swarm_catcher's magical Brussels-Ostend ride for which you have signed up, with the wonderful family of her relatives making sandwiches and a range of lovely food especially for us and getting out of bed and opening up for us at 3am.
  • In which case X is an infinitesimally small number and you will find yourself volunteered for waymarking on cold nights on an infinitesimally large number of occasions. When it's raining.
  • To convince you how lovely it is, here's a photograph of something we might see, and no, we weren't hallucinating: @StuAff saw it as well.
17328689840_ba63069699.jpg

And @rb58 thanks for the tip about the hood: a black one from Wiggle is on the way, to be added to my (dark blue) windproof jacket for the trans Norway trip in the summer.

Last edited:

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
Well a spot of rain didn't dampen my enjoyment of the ride, many thanks to all who put this together,:bravo: :notworthy:and to all who turned out despite the gloom and doom of the weather forecast.
Good things about riding a recument in rain are, feet tend to keep dry as the soles face travel direction, and upper body stays moderately dry, as the water doesn't hit so hard. However, the riding position creates a lovely paddling pool in the groin area, leaving me with the uneasy feeling of onset early incontinence for most of the ride. I can also report that ski mitts (from Aldi) are fantastically warm, but not at all waterproof, even after I had dosed them with Fabsil. My Altura jacket is as waterproof as a sieve, but it kept me warm, too warm, I had far too much on underneath.
I have never travelled east from London, so this was all new gound, and I loved it, yes even the services, which had apparantly got worse since the last time, (hard to believe, I thought we had got caught in a time warp and gone back to 1973.). Being rewarded with a dry early morning, some lovely Essex back roads, the long easy rush into Southend, and Peroni (a perfect accompaniment to a fried egg sandwich) on the deck soaking up some rays, whilst the rest of the populus regains a (sort of) conciousness, bliss.
Journey home was a bit laborious, involving a fight with my garmin just outside Liverpool St station, it didn't want to play, I was lost. Smart phone (grossly missnamed) also failed to help me towards Paddington, so used the faithfull method, the sun. Unbelievably it worked, and I joined the scrum to get on the train at 2.30pm. and was home at 8.00pm. A long journey, but hey..............
Bloody great. Thanks again.:highfive:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A well-respected member of The Fridays turned up for one of @dellzeqq 's Christmas rides and wore denim jeans underneath. The whole combo looked pretty smart, actually. And miles better than bright yellow, I hasten to add.
And they are very effective at keeping the big leg muscles warm.

Thanks all was a great ride despite baling at the services Bloody Arthritis and maybe water causing rust of my joints still looking forwards to Whitstable and have just purchased a MuddyFox Waterproof Jacket on the recommendation of @User13710
TMN never steers you wrong. I bought a packable Montane jacket a few years ago on her recommendation - very good. :okay:
Hope to see you en route to Whitstable. You and I can swap arthritis stories! Or not. :rolleyes:

SteveF

May I add my thanks to all who organised the ride, to the leader, the waymarkers and of course the TEC/s... and finally to all those who actually did the ride, it was my first one (actually first night ride and group ride) and I thoroughly enjoyed it... It was great to be with a group of people who clearly love their cycling, the damp didn't dampen my spirits, nor that of the people I saw... thanks one and all..

FNRttC.jpg

Top Bottom