FNRttC Southend on Sea Night Ride Thursday 24th March 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There is a midway stop, it's just not where Stu thinks it is. :whistle:
Would that be the (open-air) spot I picked, or the spot the rest of last year's ride picked? :smile:

Great stuff! Has anyone got photos from the breakfast venue they'd be happy to have go on the website? Would love one from table-top vantage point with a few beers in the foreground and the sea behind. Just to make the true seaside destination obvious, à la Whitstable!

@mmmmartin you're not getting out of contributing either... ^_^
How about your post #303?

I'm preparing a collection of "members' ride reports" to go into one article in the BLOG part of the website (where I've put previous ride reports). So far I have a link to @saoirse50's fab post on her own blog (expanded account from her post here) and a slideshow of @topcat1's Flickr photos.

If you haven't spotted OUR BLOG yet (I know @jiberjaber has as he has subscribed to it via Blogger! :okay: ), it's on the right hand side bar, underneath the list of rides and tours but above the Rides Archive. Any Fridays member who'd like to write a little something to go on the BLOG is most welcome - just drop an email to the usual address. (I'll cross post this over to the FNRttC Website thread but suspect this is the most-checked, most-read FNRttC thread just now!)

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
The only photo I took all night...... I think @Mice may of taken some with beer, coffee and view.

Attachments

• IMG_20160325_111936.jpg
    IMG_20160325_111936.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 67

SandySnake

Public warning - riding with the FNRttC can be addictive!

Thank you all for a great experience of my first night ride to the coast and my first experience of riding in London after dark. A friend who was riding an arrow to York this weekend had advised me to ignore the rain and just keep smiling - that wasn't hard. As a newcomer it can often be a bit daunting to spark up a conversation but with a few choice questions - how many rides have you done, which is your favourite destination and why, did you have far to travel to get to London, I found my self chatting with lots of people with some much to tell me and the miles just glided by. I spent some time at the back providing light for a puncture repair just before the service station stop, I spent time as a waymarker on a couple of occasions (one with Stu) and I made sure I spoke with most of the 'old hands' including Titus and Martin during the ride. I'm trying to convince a few friends to join me on the next ride to experience what is a truly well planned and well run mass cycle event. In my opinion they will be missing out on a great experience if they value their beds ahead of a ride with the FNRttC group.

Attachments

• DSCF2021.JPG
    DSCF2021.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Southend-on-Sea-20160325-00058.jpg
    Southend-on-Sea-20160325-00058.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 79
Public warning - riding with the FNRttC can be addictive!

Thank you all for a great experience of my first night ride to the coast and my first experience of riding in London after dark. A friend who was riding an arrow to York this weekend had advised me to ignore the rain and just keep smiling - that wasn't hard. As a newcomer it can often be a bit daunting to spark up a conversation but with a few choice questions - how many rides have you done, which is your favourite destination and why, did you have far to travel to get to London, I found my self chatting with lots of people with some much to tell me and the miles just glided by. I spent some time at the back providing light for a puncture repair just before the service station stop, I spent time as a waymarker on a couple of occasions (one with Stu) and I made sure I spoke with most of the 'old hands' including Titus and Martin during the ride. I'm trying to convince a few friends to join me on the next ride to experience what is a truly well planned and well run mass cycle event. In my opinion they will be missing out on a great experience if they value their beds ahead of a ride with the FNRttC group.
Hi @SandySnake sounds like you'll be back!
Please may we use that breakfast photo in the write-up on the FNRttC website? (Feel free to say No if you'd rather not.) Thanks!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did the wet weather gear work? I've got a new altura jacket that seems ok but it's now hands and feet I'm after keeping dry.
Important caveat: that ride wasn't that much of a test for wet-weather gear in terms of waterproofing or temperature, frankly.
Not long got some Pearl Izumi gloves- these, but got them from the outlet store at Gunwharf Quays- which did an excellent job on Thursday night. Bit of water got in the tops, runoff from the jacket I'm sure, but the hands stayed warm and dry. I had two spare pairs of gloves, didn't need them. Sealskinz socks (mid thermal merino) & Shimano MW80 boots again did the job, feet bone dry as well.

Top Bottom