Store loyalty card - odd goings on (now a reply from store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sure I can see that. So you just have to decide whether to say nothing or say something. In saying something you're raising the prospect of the cashier being fired. It's your call

They'd still get fired even if they did ask permission and said can I have your points.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
I'd imagine they'll be smited alright, when they try to redeem a quantity of points that suggest they spent 105 times their annual salary on groceries. I can't imagine said store hasn't considered this. Possibly it was a relative / friend of said store member, that might be harder to track.

marinyork

I'd imagine they'll be smited alright, when they try to redeem a quantity of points that suggest they spent 105 times their annual salary on groceries. I can't imagine said store hasn't considered this. Possibly it was a relative / friend of said store member, that might be harder to track.

Or the dummy card is exactly what has been said and hasn't been registered yet and will be registered under a completely bogus name when it is with no name displayed on the card. Unfortunately one of the reward card schemes is sadly absolutely notorious for laxness.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Could be wot it said on the tin
No it couldn't. There's no way a major retailer would release POS software that forced the scanning of a dummy card.

My money is on the store manager being incentivised to maximise points collected (because some bright spark at head office reckons it's a good way of increasing sales) and finding a creative way to game his bonus plan. If I'm right, it's fraud.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A cashier in my local Shell station was doing this and earning a fortune in discount vouchers for his own benefit. He was fired.

The cashier in the store will get caught eventually, either from someone reporting him or a system flag. Either way his sacking will be his own doing.

GC

No it couldn't. There's no way a major retailer would release POS software that forced the scanning of a dummy card.

My money is on the store manager being incentivised to maximise points collected (because some bright spark at head office reckons it's a good way of increasing sales) and finding a creative way to game his bonus plan. If I'm right, it's fraud.
It's unlikely but it could. All I'm saying is, don't assume.

marinyork

The cashier in the store will get caught eventually, either from someone reporting him or a system flag. Either way his sacking will be his own doing.

Or more likely greed.

marinyork

It's unlikely but it could. All I'm saying is, don't assume.

Heard people call unregistered cards dummy or blank cards loads of times. Some retailers let you scan points on a dormant card that may or may not be registered later because it's good for uptake. They know that 95+ out of 100 people aren't going to bother if they say they are interested, give them something physical in their hand and you might have 10 or 15 out of 100 signing up - not that that means they use it or don't lose it. Funnily enough by amazing coincidence the storage of blank cards was somewhat more closely guarded on some sites.

Some retailers use insanely outdated POS systems which are wide open to theft, fraud and abuse. It's only really the last year or so that more of them have been moving away from these extremely unsatisfactory state of affairs. These systems let people do a wide variety of barcode wheezes. It's what you get when technophobes rule the world. I don't miss any of this.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A cashier in my local Shell station was doing this and earning a fortune in discount vouchers for his own benefit. He was fired.

As a teenager I worked weekends at a petrol station. Around half of the customers declined the wadge of Pink Stamps that their fuel purchase had earned them, so I didn't feel at all guilty about sticking them in my own book. Mind you, it needed about a million of them to have enough for anything decent from the catalogue.

But it made the 20p an hour that I was paid go a bit further.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Been to a well known store today. Bought some goods and went to till and asked it I had or wanted a loyalty card. "No thank you"

I was then told that they have to scan this 'dummy' card.

Well I checked my receipt later and found for some reason that my loyalty card statement (that I don't have) has over 1000 points on it with a cash value so far of over £10.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this as I know what mine are.
Of course its a dummy card.

With a dummy account

And a dummy amount of points

Illustrating a dummy amount of cash

To entice a dummy to go in and ask for their own card.

Its a marketing tool.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
I have the receipt with time and date and also the first name of person who served me.

It also has the loyalty card points added, total points and the monetary value. It's over 1000 points.

It also has on the receipt the last 4 numbers of the loyalty card. It's not going to be too difficult to add everything together and when this person is on duty and where the card was used.

I think was bugs me a little over this is the person said they have to use this 'dummy' card, and the dishonesty of it.

I now have to make a decision of what to do.

classic33

Leg End Member
Heard people call unregistered cards dummy or blank cards loads of times. Some retailers let you scan points on a dormant card that may or may not be registered later because it's good for uptake. They know that 95+ out of 100 people aren't going to bother if they say they are interested, give them something physical in their hand and you might have 10 or 15 out of 100 signing up - not that that means they use it or don't lose it. Funnily enough by amazing coincidence the storage of blank cards was somewhat more closely guarded on some sites.

Some retailers use insanely outdated POS systems which are wide open to theft, fraud and abuse. It's only really the last year or so that more of them have been moving away from these extremely unsatisfactory state of affairs. These systems let people do a wide variety of barcode wheezes. It's what you get when technophobes rule the world. I don't miss any of this.
There's a set of training cards supplied with each system, including a reset card(used more by smaller shops).

Why would a bank also supply a working credit/debit card that doesn't require registering before use. Card & PIN are supplied seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom