Store loyalty card - odd goings on (now a reply from store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't see why there should be a fuss.

A retailer gives points to shoppers, but some shoppers don't want them and we think an enterprising staff member is claiming them instead.

So what? The retailer would have given those points away anyway so nobody is worse off.
Not unless you count your details ending up on some else's card as no problem. Not a single point is given away free, something has to be given in return.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I would demand Haribo as compensation....

Brandane

Legendary Member
Been to a well known store today. Bought some goods and went to till and asked it I had or wanted a loyalty card. "No thank you"

I was then told that they have to scan this 'dummy' card.

Well I checked my receipt later and found for some reason that my loyalty card statement (that I don't have) has over 1000 points on it with a cash value so far of over £10.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this as I know what mine are.

Has Sam Allardyce got himself another job already?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
[QUOTE 4491554, member: 45"]Isn't this fraud?[/QUOTE]

Of course! Any employee of any company knows that it's inherently dishonest to benefit in any way from taking what's intended to be a customer's benefit, and gaining personally from that. And they all know what will happen if they get caught.

It's small beer of course, and there's no complainant at this stage. It's up to the OP whether he's bothered enough to turn his internet complaint into a real one. That's really all this boils down to. We can argue the morals of it all day, but many people take a liberty at times in their work, and it all hangs on whether someone will make a fuss of it or not.

jefmcg

Guru
Not unless you count your details ending up on some else's card as no problem. Not a single point is given away free, something has to be given in return.
What details? There would be no identifying data stored with the transaction. It would be madness to store card details with loyalty data, as it then becomes a target for hackers. Last 4 digits, maybe, but that's not identifying without a lot more information.

classic33

Leg End Member
What details? There would be no identifying data stored with the transaction. It would be madness to store card details with loyalty data, as it then becomes a target for hackers. Last 4 digits, maybe, but that's not identifying without a lot more information.
No points given then.

System records what was bought & how it was paid for, when, where.

Each "Loyalty Card" issued, carries the details, name & address, when first issued. How else do they identify the card holder, assigning them points & sending vouchers out through the post.

Then ask yourself why did they do away with the Chip & Pin style cards. Barcode scanners were already in use. Wasn't just that killed them.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Each "Loyalty Card" issued, carries the details, name & address, when first issued.

I doubt that very much. Why would it need to have name and address? Do you think your credit cards contain those details?

TVC

[QUOTE 4492119, member: 45"]They need to know where you live, how far you travel to shop, what you buy, when you buy it, why you buy it, etc. So they can build and monitor the profile of their shoppers and target them.

And I'm sure that attempts have already been made by health insurance companies to make arrangements to get hold of your data so they can monitor how often you eat bacon....[/QUOTE]
I think Dave is saying that your personal details are not stored on the card, just your identifier number, your personal information is on the main database.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The thing that puzzles me about this story is the cashier asking before swiping the card. If no one had said anything, would anyone have noticed?
That's why I think it's a scam by the store manager, who has cooked up a story that looks customer-centric and that is just about plausible enough to get past dozy staff and customers.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
That's why I think it's a scam by the store manager, who has cooked up a story that looks customer-centric and that is just about plausible enough to get past dozy staff and customers.

I can't see that myself. It assumes that his staff are all dolts and there's a lot of them to assume that, or that they are all in on it, which also falls apart because it only takes one of many to blow the scam to head office? Multiple 'blanks' as well and not just unissued cards as those simply raise more suspicion?
Presumably store managers are also reasonably well paid in the first place and have far more to lose than a (possibly part-time) cashier? Though of course that never stopped some people....

I'd have thought it more likely that one bent cashier feels the dummy explanation is less likely to arouse suspicion than the beep when the card goes over the reader?

Questions questions....Bah, pity we probably will never find out.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
[QUOTE 4492119, member: 45"]They need to know where you live, how far you travel to shop, what you buy, when you buy it, why you buy it, etc. So they can build and monitor the profile of their shoppers and target them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course they do.

But that only requires that the card carries a unique identifying number (like a credit card), with a computer somewhere that can tie that number to your account details. There's absolutely no need for those other details to be carried on the card.

[QUOTE 4492119, member: 45"]Each "Loyalty Card" issued, carries the details, name & address, when first issued.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom