Store loyalty card - odd goings on (now a reply from store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, the system believes who ever holds the "dummy" card got points. The system also believes the holder of the "dummy" card bought whatever it was Sore Thumb bought.
Payment type, enter on till. Card use then has to be approved. System would flag any error, the two card details not matching, up to the operator.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
[QUOTE 4492659, member: 45"]Are you sure that the store doesn't tot up the points that you would have if you were using one of their cards, as an incentive to register?[/QUOTE]

No. My purchase on that day was only shown as over 50 points. Why would it show a specific loyalty card number and a total of over 1000 points.

How can a company know what I have bought in the past from them?

They did not ask for my details and I have not given them to me. I did not use a loyalty card either.

So there is no way the store can tot up what I have bought from them in the past, if I have not used a loyalty card. As this is the idea of a loyalty card.

It's simply that the cashier used a dummy card which I believe was a loyalty card and they used whatever points I had earned on this occasion and put into onto their card.

It was a specific loyalty card as the cards last four numbers are printed on my receipt.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Payment type, enter on till. Card use then has to be approved. System would flag any error, the two card details not matching, up to the operator.

???????

I paid on my debit card, the cashier used their loyalty card to claim the points I would have earned on my purchase.

My debit card is not linked to ANY loyalty card.
I did not use a loyalty card.

I don't understand what you mean by two cards details not matching?

No debit card is linked to a loyalty card.

For eg.

I could use my debit card and use a friends or my wife's loyalty card in a store.

That's how this cashier has done it.
Any customer that doesnt have a loyalty card they can just put these points onto their card.

It's not that difficult.

The card the cashier used was NOT a dummy card, they just called it a dummy card to make me think that using this card was required by the store to allow the purchase to go through.

This so called dummy card was actually a loyalty card being used by the cashier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
[QUOTE 4492766, member: 45"]It's fraud and theft...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...warding-himself-14-million-Nectar-points.html[/QUOTE]

Interesting article.

Was wondering how points you have to take before it's seriously considered as a crime.

I suppose some people only see it as points on a loyalty card but you then use these points as a cash amount to buy goods from the store.

It might not be a great deal of money on the card that was used on my purchase but how many other cards might this person have? Might just be the first card or it could be one of many.

classic33

Leg End Member
Flagged to the operator? The operator with the "dummy" card? That operator?
That operator
???????

I paid on my debit card, the cashier used their loyalty card to claim the points I would have earned on my purchase.

My debit card is not linked to ANY loyalty card.
I did not use a loyalty card.

I don't understand what you mean by two cards details not matching?

No debit card is linked to a loyalty card.

For eg.

I could use my debit card and use a friends or my wife's loyalty card in a store.

That's how this cashier has done it.
Any customer that doesnt have a loyalty card they can just put these points onto their card.

It's not that difficult.

The card the cashier used was NOT a dummy card, they just called it a dummy card to make me think that using this card was required by the store to allow the purchase to go through.

This so called dummy card was actually a loyalty card being used by the cashier.
At which point the loyalty card gets updated, with another set of details being added to it.

In this case, yours.

Buck

Guru
At which point the loyalty card gets updated, with another set of details being added to it.

In this case, yours.

Not correct. The card is not linked to any debit or credit card at all. The loyalty card system runs parallel to the payment system not in conjunction with. It doesn't link to a debit or credit card, it just builds a points total from the eligible total on any transaction.

The loyalty card will most likely be unregistered or if the cashier is even more naive, it will be registered to them or a "friend". .

Regardless of the amount of points taken or otherwise, this is theft and @Sore Thumb you need to decide if you want to advise the store of this or let it lie.

classic33

Leg End Member
The system is there for their benefit, not yours. An unregistered card wouldn't work. Requires a valid name & address.

keithmac

Guru
We have a Tesco loyalty card and the points are really quite valuable by the end of the year when we buy the kids Chrismas presents, they also off money against holidays etc.

I can imaging a rougue till operator swiping their own card could be very well off at the end of it (buying TV's etc on offer with the "points").

The reason they may have asked is if you really did have your own loyalty card and they bagged your points they would have been caught red handed!.

The loyalty card is not linked to any debit or credit card, we use two different cards, and cash using the same loyalty card with no issues.

To me it sound like the till operator is on a good little earner ;).

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
That operator

In this case, yours.

You can put any name and you can create many email addresses as you want onto a loyalty card.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...warding-himself-14-million-Nectar-points.html

A bit like that article where he used DJs names

I did not give any of my details to the cashier.

If the cashier was able to get any of my details from my card and then used these in the loyalty card like you appear to suggest, then I would not just be speaking to the company I would be contacting the police as well, as this would require Very specific knowledge and equipment to achieve.

TVC

We have a Tesco loyalty card and the points are really quite valuable by the end of the year when we buy the kids Chrismas presents, they also off money against holidays etc.

I can imaging a rougue till operator swiping their own card could be very well off at the end of it (buying TV's etc on offer with the "points").

The reason they may have asked is if you really did have your own loyalty card and they bagged your points they would have been caught red handed!.

The loyalty card is not linked to any debit or credit card, we use two different cards, and cash using the same loyalty card with no issues.

To me it sound like the till operator is on a good little earner ;).
We use our nectar card all year and it pays for the main Christmas shop in Sainsbury's, so you can easily save up some proper cash.
In this case the cashier would most likely be doing it once or twice a week so it doesn't flag up as being outside the ordinary. If they had cards from several family members then they could spread the earnings without suspicion.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
At which point it's no longer a "Dummy Card", as they said.

It's obviously not a dummy card. The person just said that to make me think that the use of the card is needed to allow the transaction to go through. Ig standard store practice/policy.

They said "I have to use this dummy card"

As the card has a assigned number to it and also had previous points on it as recorded on my receipt it is obviously not a dummy card. It's obviously a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom