Store loyalty card - odd goings on (now a reply from store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
I don't think anyone beleived it was a "dummy" card in the first place?.

Well it worked against me in the store when in a rush, it was only later it clicked in my mind that that seemed odd. It was only then I checked my recept and realised it must have been a loyalty card.

keithmac

Guru
Yeh if you're in a rush it would be easy to let it pass, I'm naturally suspicious but still probably wouldn't want to cause a scene at the checkout!.

Did the card have any writing on it?.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
At the
Yeh if you're in a rush it would be easy to let it pass, I'm naturally suspicious but still probably wouldn't want to cause a scene at the checkout!.

Did the card have any writing on it?.

At the time I did not think 'that's a store loyalty card' it did not obviously look like one.
I think the face was covered in white. So I'm presuming they covered over the face of the card.

Either that or I only saw the back of the card which is white and the black strip on the back.

TrishE

Über Member
I swipe loyalty cards daily at work and I would say it would be a good idea to either phone the store or ask at the customer service desk in store to speak to the store manager. Tell him about the dummy card and show the receipt. Obviously it's up to you but if that employee is dishonest they could be being dishonest throughout the store stealing stock or from colleagues. If it's all innocent you will know why the card was swiped and no harm done :smile:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Ultimately if it is dishonesty then the till operator is the dummy.
Either they will be spotted by another member of staff and reported, by internal security and reported, or by a customer and reported.
In order to rack up any appreciable amount of points they will have to do this numerous times, only one needs to be investigated.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Just been having a look on the Internet and it seems that this type of using customer points when they don't have a loyalty card and then putting onto their own card seems acknowledged by the sector. Quite a few articles on it.

http://www.theloyaltybox.com/blog/s.../loyalty-fraud-what-is-it-and-how-to-stop-it/

Loyalty Fraud by Employees
Loyalty fraud isn’t just committed by consumers, however. Sometimes employees get in on the act. If employees swipe their own cards on transactions for customers who don’t have cards, they can quickly accumulate a lot of points. Often they will wait for promotional transactions that they know earn double points so fewer swipes are required.

Another type of employee fraud involves registering a loyalty card, using it for customer transactions, then redeeming their own points for a customer purchase and pocketing the cash the customer gives them.

Franchise owners that are rated on how many people they sign up for loyalty programs have been known to sign up dozens or hundreds of fake accounts to meet quotas.

TrishE

Über Member
The receipt will tell the manager which till and who the cashier was via numbers. I thought it sounded dodgy but thanks to Google now know a cashier swiping their own cards is a known issue.

keithmac

Guru
Another type of employee fraud involves registering a loyalty card, using it for customer transactions, then redeeming their own points for a customer purchase and pocketing the cash the customer gives them

I wonder what their receipt would look like, or if most would even check it?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom