Store loyalty card - odd goings on (now a reply from store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
The thing that puzzles me about this story is the cashier asking before swiping the card. If no one had said anything, would anyone have noticed?

The person did 'not' ask to use the card. They said we need to use this dummy card and then swiped it.

Because I did not use a loyalty card they used or should I say told me he used a dummy card. I think it was not a dummy card but another loyalty card.
Because on my receipt it has the balance/statement of the card that they swiped.

It has the total point which was over 1000 and a monetary value of so far over £10 and also told me how many points were issued on this occasion.

So I think they are just using another loyalty card to get the points themselves. But they are actually saying they have to use a dummy card. I just find this dishonest.

TVC

If that is the case then it is more than dishonest, it could be defrauding their employer (someone else may correct me on the actual offence). The ball's in your court then, either you contact the store manager and query your receipt or you let it go.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
If that is the case then it is more than dishonest, it could be defrauding their employer (someone else may correct me on the actual offence). The ball's in your court then, either you contact the store manager and query your receipt or you let it go.

I think the main evidence is, being told they need to use a dummy card and I have a full points statement on my receipt.

How did I get a points statement with over 1000 pints and only just over 50 on this occasion if I never used a rewards card.

I used my debit card and this also does concern me a little that if they are using a dummy card is my debit card safe too?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, of course they do.

But that only requires that the card carries a unique identifying number (like a credit card), with a computer somewhere that can tie that number to your account details. There's absolutely no need for those other details to be carried on the card.

There isn't but for years names were displayed on loyalty cards and still many old ones in circulation. People are forgetting that the weakness is not just the card themselves but the coupons dished out.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think the main evidence is, being told they need to use a dummy card and I have a full points statement on my receipt.

How did I get a points statement with over 1000 pints and only just over 50 on this occasion if I never used a rewards card.

I used my debit card and this also does concern me a little that if they are using a dummy card is my debit card safe too?
Given that they know how the shopping was paid for, Cash/Credit/Debit card.

Chances are you could through exactly the same routine the next time, same person, with no increase in points.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Given that they know how the shopping was paid for, Cash/Credit/Debit card.

Chances are you could through exactly the same routine the next time, same person, with no increase in points.

I not sure what you mean?

The points has nothing to do with my debit card.

If another cashier had served me and I used my debit card my receipt would not even have a loyalty card balance on it as I never used a loyalty card.

The only reason I have a loyalty card balance on my receipt is that I think that employee swiped one through but called it a dummy card.

classic33

Leg End Member
I not sure what you mean?

The points has nothing to do with my debit card.

If another cashier had served me and I used my debit card my receipt would not even have a loyalty card balance on it as I never used a loyalty card.

The only reason I have a loyalty card balance on my receipt is that I think that employee swiped one through but called it a dummy card.

How did you get the 1000 points and not notice. Chances are this isn't the first time this has been done, if you don't have a loyalty card? Central system wouldn't work in this case.

The only piece that ties in with them all, allowing the points to be shown on your receipt, would be the payment method. Use cash the next time and I doubt your total will increase.

How did you get the 1000 points and not notice. Chances are this isn't the first time this has been done, if you don't have a loyalty card? Central system wouldn't work in this case.

The only piece that ties in with them all, allowing the points to be shown on your receipt, would be the payment method. Use cash the next time and I doubt your total will increase.

He didn't get the points, he believes the points printed on his receipt are from the "dummy" loyalty card that the cashier used. Not linked to his payment at all.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru

I don't think you understand.

If I use cash or debit card would make no difference. This has nothing to do with my debit card or even cash

The loyalty card for the store statement on my recept is to a specific loyalty card.
The loyalty card last 4 numbers is shown on my receipt.

The loyalty card already had over 1000 points on the card. What I paid for on this occasion increased this loyalty card by over 50 points. The loyalty card statement showed a cash value of over £10.
This is shown in the form of a loyalty card statement on the bottom of my receipt.

I did not use a loyalty card and a loyalty card is not liked to my debit card in any way.

The reason I have a loyalty card statement and points on the bottom of my recept is that I believe the cashier said that they needed to use a 'dummy card'. I don't believe this was a dummy card, (whatever that means.)

I think the cashier was using a loyalty card and when a customer does not have a loyalty card they are topping the points on their card.

When they top up their loyalty card on what I have paid for it shows up on the bottom of my receipt.

So in effect I have NO points. It's points on Someone else's loyalty card that is shown on My receipt.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

My guess is, as explained up thread, that the 1000 points have been gradually accrued by the store employee, getting a few points here, a few points there each time the "dummy card", held by the store employee, is swiped.

<x post with Phil Dawson & Sore Thumb>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom