Store loyalty card - odd goings on (now a reply from store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On the top of the receipt it tells me the cashiers first name.
Don't know about supermarkets, but in my work clerk ID on tills is not always the till operator's real name, sometimes we have fobs or clerk numbers that belong to employees that are off or have left.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
We use our nectar card all year and it pays for the main Christmas shop in Sainsbury's, so you can easily save up some proper cash.
In this case the cashier would most likely be doing it once or twice a week so it doesn't flag up as being outside the ordinary. If they had cards from several family members then they could spread the earnings without suspicion.

Nope.

Although now you mention it, I would definitely recommend keeping close tabs on the whereabouts of the card in the weeks running up to Christmas ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: TVC

marinyork

Just been having a look on the Internet and it seems that this type of using customer points when they don't have a loyalty card and then putting onto their own card seems acknowledged by the sector. Quite a few articles on it.

You're an incredibly disbelieving person who hasn't listened/believed much of what has been said on this thread, but glad you are now convinced. There are however far more lucrative ways of doing it than what you have likely come across.

marinyork

The receipt will tell the manager which till and who the cashier was via numbers. I thought it sounded dodgy but thanks to Google now know a cashier swiping their own cards is a known issue.

Likely you are someone who does their job properly and hasn't bumped into any of these colourful characters. Just keep your head down and carry on doing things right, there will be a few at your store that will get sacked for this sort of wheeze. You've obviously never bumped into them, which is a good thing.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
I put in a complaint to the store and I've had a reply from them.

They will be looking into the matter of urgency and will be conducting an internal investigation.

But.......

They they say because this is an internal investigation we won't share anything further with you, thanks for your complaint.

I've said I understand this but for transparency, to show an investigation and action has been carried out I want to know the final outcome.

I am concerned as this could be seen as fraud and it also affects my confidence in your staff and company.

Thought and can they now just tell me nothing when it has happened not just to their company but to me?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

They will be looking into the matter of urgency and will be conducting an internal investigation.

But.......

They they say because this is an internal investigation we won't share anything further with you, thanks for your complaint.

I've said I understand this but for transparency, to show an investigation and action has been carried out I want to know the final outcome.

I am concerned as this could be seen as fraud and it also affects my confidence in your staff and company.

Thought and can they now just tell me nothing when it has happened not just to their company but to me?

You are Norris from Corrie AICMFP

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
You are Norris from Corrie AICMFP

Sorry don't watch soaps so no idea what that means.

However it was not just the loyalty card, but I had concerns that my debit card might have been cloned. I felt I needed to report as I was concerned that if I was suspect that it might have happened and did not complain then I would only have myself to blame if I have funds taken out of my account.
The company have informed me that my debit card/account is safe. Obviously if this is not the case then I'm covered.

But it does look like the company are treating it seriously but won't tell me anything further.

TrishE

Über Member

But.......

I had to complain to northern rail about one of their employees and was told the same thing.

I don't complain as a rule, not everyone who complains is like Norris from corrie sometimes there isn't any other option.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Payment type, enter on till. Card use then has to be approved. System would flag any error, the two card details not matching, up to the operator.
No my kids have asked to use their Boots cards on things I've paid for them (bit of a cheek when I have a Boots card too - which does say my name on it). The till just prints out the points that are on the card that is swiped onto the receipt.

Buck

Guru

But.......

This now becomes an internal matter and the store will now be bound by Data Protection and confidentiality.

If for example, they investigate and dismiss the individual for gross misconduct they would not/should not tell you this. In my world I would write to you and thank you for your assistance in this matter and advise you that the matter has now dealt with in line with our company procedures.

The company would compromise itself and leave itself open to legal challenge if it were to provide any information beyond this.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru

But.......

So how does this work when you make a complaint say, about a NHS service or professional.
They tell you outcome and info regarding investigation.

They never say thanks very much for the complaint can't tell you anything further. Don't they break data protection when they appear to be open and transparent?

If the NHS never told you an outcome, no one would ever believe they investigated it.

Just seems strange.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry don't watch soaps so no idea what that means.

However it was not just the loyalty card, but I had concerns that my debit card might have been cloned. I felt I needed to report as I was concerned that if I was suspect that it might have happened and did not complain then I would only have myself to blame if I have funds taken out of my account.
The company have informed me that my debit card/account is safe. Obviously if this is not the case then I'm covered.

But it does look like the company are treating it seriously but won't tell me anything further.

My meaning is this. It's not quite a victimless crime but it's pretty damn close. Of course you can argue that the supermarket will have to pay out against redeemed points and that cost is ultimately passed on to the customers.

What they did isn't impacting on you so why be the instigator of a process that will, in all probability, lead to the individual being fired. Of course it's their fault as they perpetrated the fraud, but why instigate the investigation? I personally wouldn't want to do that. As I've mentioned upthread, people do this for reasons other than greed

So how does this work when you make a complaint say, about a NHS service or professional.
They tell you outcome and info regarding investigation.

They never say thanks very much for the complaint can't tell you anything further. Don't they break data protection when they appear to be open and transparent?

If the NHS never told you an outcome, no one would ever believe they investigated it.

Just seems strange.

You mean when you make a complaint against a public body, vs a complaint against a private company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom