England : Suffolk Suffolk Sunday 100 club, your thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
One of my goals this year is to do a 100 mile ride at least once a month, and seeing as cycling with friends is more fun than cycling alone I've had a little idea...

On the first Sunday of every month I will plan a 100 mile bike ride, and anyone who wishes to join me is more than welcome to. Each ride will have a cafe / pub / food stop at roughly the halfway mark, so in theory these rides should be doable by anyone who can cycle about thirty miles without needing CPR.

Each ride will leave Ipswich at 8am.

Each ride will meet up and depart from the Giles Statue in Ipswich town centre. This is so that nobody has to let us know whether or not they can make each ride or not; therefore nobody has to feel any guilt for changing their mind at the last minute.

Because a list of dates will be posted here these rides would be a good opportunity for Cycle Chat folk from elsewhere to join us if they so wish.

There will be NO obligation to do all the rides, we really don't want these rides to be something that folk feel they are beholden to.

Does anyone else have any ideas to make this plan as easy going and non-committal as possible?

Is this a good, bad or indifferent idea?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you have a plan to do a 100 miler a month. Then I don't think the last Sunday of the month would be the best idea.
There is nothing worse then having a plan of doing a 100 on the day, it's absolutely heaving out and you have to cancel. You then find yourself with no opportunity to do that months ride.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If you have a plan to do a 100 miler a month. Then I don't think the last Sunday of the month would be the best idea.
There is nothing worse then having a plan of doing a 100 on the day, it's absolutely heaving out and you have to cancel. You then find yourself with no opportunity to do that months ride.

Good point! I only chose the last Sunday as it's near pay day :smile:

I'll change it.

compo

Veteran
Are you sure about starting at 7am and riding 100 miles with a cafe stop and getting home for lunch. What time do you call lunch?
Be a bit too fast for me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are you sure about starting at 7am and riding 100 miles with a cafe stop and getting home for lunch. What time do you call lunch?
Be a bit too fast for me.

indeed. In my experience you would need at least 7-8 hours minimum for the complete ride. Everyone cycles at a different pace, especially in the latter parts of the ride. Then there are other factors which could slow the ride. Mechanicals, slow service at lunch stop, weather, traffic, getting to and from the ride start/finish point, etc.

If you are going to plan 100 miles then you plan for the day.

Purely from a personal point of view, and I speak for dr_pink as well, we have no interest in setting targets in our "leisure" cycling. I know a lot on here do which I guess is why Strava is of interest to so many. We ride because we enjoy riding, whether the distance is 30 or 100+ miles, distance has never been a target and on my forum rides I am never sure exactly how far they will be. I understand though how those folks a bit newer to cycling feel the urge to complete milestones so we are happy to go along with wherever another forum ride wants to go.
Regarding your proposed 100 mile ride in March, an early start would mean a silly o'clock start for us, plus we would need somewhere safe to leave the car so it's probably a no then. One hundred mile forum rides are few and far between and because of the distance are a bit harder to keep together and organise, plus you get fewer participants. We wish you luck with it though and hope it isn't too windy which over longer distances can throw your timings way out.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have a lot to learn, which is why it's interesting to chuck these ideas out there and get a response.

Thanks all!

mattobrien

Guru
I will try to join you for as many as possible, wife permitting.

If you want to provide me with some notice that is likely to help with wife appeasement / giving the family notice of my impending absence. Email works well for me as I can't guarantee to remember to check this board as often as I should.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I will try to join you for as many as possible, wife permitting.

If you want to provide me with some notice that is likely to help with wife appeasement / giving the family notice of my impending absence. Email works well for me as I can't guarantee to remember to check this board as often as I should.

Cheers Matt, I'm currently trying to figure out January's 100. Any preferences?

Top Bottom