England : Suffolk Suffolk Sunday 100 club, your thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
If you aren't planning a gruelling pace, the I think a 7am start with a 2pm finish is possibly more realistic.

Will check availability with management, although best not to ask when having just returned from a ride...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If you aren't planning a gruelling pace, the I think a 7am start with a 2pm finish is possibly more realistic.

Will check availability with management, although best not to ask when having just returned from a ride...

I've negotiated a 2pm return, which means according to the rules I can reasonably return as late as 3pm or earlier than 2pm to set up good karma for the next shore leave request.

martint235

Dog on a bike
We'll leave 7am or 8am and aim to be back by 1pm or 2pm.
Just to throw my twopenneth in (I'm afraid you're too far away for me to join you, although you never know come summer). To start at 7am and finish at 2pm, you will be fairly motoring. As an example, I did 125 miles yesterday leaving home at 6.30am, joining Ianrauk at 7.30am. I got home at 3.45pm and neither me nor Ian are what could be described as slowcoaches over this kind of distance.

Personally, and I won't be offended at all if you completely ignore me, I'd set a target return of 4pm from say a 7.30am start. This adds a bit of enjoyment to the ride rather than turning it into a game of attrition particularly if you run into an unexpected headwind or something. You may still get back at 2pm which would then be a bonus rather than returning at 3.30pm and missing your target. (I told SWMBO I'd be home around 3 yesterday, got a text at 3.15 to ask where I was!!! I count 3.45 as around 3!!)

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Just to throw my twopenneth in (I'm afraid you're too far away for me to join you, although you never know come summer). To start at 7am and finish at 2pm, you will be fairly motoring. As an example, I did 125 miles yesterday leaving home at 6.30am, joining Ianrauk at 7.30am. I got home at 3.45pm and neither me nor Ian are what could be described as slowcoaches over this kind of distance.

Personally, and I won't be offended at all if you completely ignore me, I'd set a target return of 4pm from say a 7.30am start. This adds a bit of enjoyment to the ride rather than turning it into a game of attrition particularly if you run into an unexpected headwind or something. You may still get back at 2pm which would then be a bonus rather than returning at 3.30pm and missing your target. (I told SWMBO I'd be home around 3 yesterday, got a text at 3.15 to ask where I was!!! I count 3.45 as around 3!!)

Ta, it's all a learning curve. For my last 100 I was out of the house for nearly 7 hours and hit some brutal headwinds http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/94589287

It wouldn't be too harsh to say I'm more enthusiasm and optimism than anything else at this stage :smile:

mattobrien

Guru
That day works for me. If I get dropped by you speedier guys, I honestly won't mind.

Don't worry, I wouldn't class myself as speedy at the moment.

It ought to be light enough to ride by at 7am in a few weeks time. I set off at about 7:15 today and didn't need lights to see.

Andrew, have you told Simon about the Suffolk CC 100 mile compulsory jersey yet?

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
But my wife got me a replica yellow jersey for xmas! I'm working on the big sideburns as we speak!!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Date has been cleared for me. I will probably be on the fixed and it is quite a few years ago that I did a 100 on it so I will see how the distance goes on the day.

mattobrien

Guru
Tony haven't you got your other bike fixed yet? I have pretty much got a full sora groupset in a box, you are welcome to have a rummage through for some or all of the parts.

Andrew, I have put the date on the calendar which means stage one is complete, nit sure it has been noticed yet though. Whether I get a pass for the full 100 I will have to see nearer the time

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Matt, thanks for the offer. No it is in a various stage of rebuild as I am also going to take the opportunity of replacing all the cables whilst it is in its current state. To be honest whilst I have enjoyed riding the Fixed so much I have not been in a rush to get the geared back

Top Bottom