England : Suffolk Suffolk Sunday club - Ride 1 - January - A gentle start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Elsewhere I have been discussing the idea of trying to manage at least one 100 mile ride per month as a personal target for 2013. Reactions were 'mixed' so I decided to share details of the rides as I plan them and if anyone wishes to join me than that's just lovely, if not then never mind. So here are the details for the first ride:

Date - Sunday 27th January 2013
Start time - 7am (unless enough folk want a later start)
Start & end point - The Giles Statue by Costa Coffee in Ipswich town centre
Route - click here...
Length - 102 miles in total, but done in three 'stages', so just do what you fancy (see below)
Food / café stops? - There is no specific café stop but we will be passing plenty of places suitable for hot drinks and food, and we'll be in no hurry, so will be happy to stop as the group decides.
Target average speed - NONE!

The route might look a little batty but I have planned it this way so that nobody has to commit to doing a long ride, we loop back past the start point roughly every thirty miles, at which point anyone who doesn't wish to ride the full hundred can bid us a cheery farewell.

We're all a bit out of shape following the Christmas break so this will not be a fast ride; I've got shore leave from family duties till late-afternoon so I won't be in much of a hurry.

There's no need to commit to this ride here on this thread, but if you let us know to expect you we'll make sure you're with us before we head off. So far it's looking like there will be at least four of us.

If you've not ridden with a bunch of other people before this could be a nice gentle way to start, the route is reasonably flat and we're not wandering too far from Ipswich.

This is a zero pressure ride!

Click here to RSVP (or just say you're coming below!)...

Huzzah!

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The section in Felixstowe from Walton Avenue to Trimley is "offroad" so for that I would suggest instead Dooley Road > Grange Road > Walton > Trimley St Mary. 7 start is fine for me

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The section in Felixstowe from Walton Avenue to Trimley is "offroad" so for that I would suggest instead Dooley Road > Grange Road > Walton > Trimley St Mary. 7 start is fine for me

Thanks, there's a section of that part of the ride in which I was hoping to bow to your superior local knowledge :smile: The last time I cycled to Felixstowe I came home party on a footpath next to the A14, thinking there must be a better route!

4F

Thanks, there's a section of that part of the ride in which I was hoping to bow to your superior local knowledge :smile: The last time I cycled to Felixstowe I came home party on a footpath next to the A14, thinking there must be a better route!

You have 2 options from Trimley back to Ipswich. One as shown on your map but taking the single carriage way section / or footpath next to the A14 and then through Levington, or head towards Kirton but then before you reach it take a left at Innocence lane and then left again into Bucklesham coming out at St Augustins roundabout. Personally I enjoy the Bucklesham route to Ipswich more as it is often quieter but whatever you decide won't effect me as I will head off at Kirton anyway ^_^

4F

Skin is waterproof.

mattobrien

Guru
I think mud guards will be essential, otherwise all the crap from the road will get thrown up on to the following rider. That said, coming without mudguards guarantees a position last on the road and all that benefit from not being in the wind.

I am not sure I can spend a full 100 miles in the wind, with Mr Culture tucked up in my rear wheel last our last 100 :whistle:

Not too much squawking in my house re the length of ride and the possibility that MiL may be visiting tomorrow, with that in mind does anyone fancy extending it to 150 or maybe 200 ;)

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I am not sure I can spend a full 100 miles in the wind, with Mr Culture tucked up in my rear wheel last our last 100 :whistle:

It was only for the last 100 of the ride :smile:

40mph gusts now forecast so I think we'll all take a pragmatic approach to the full 100, at least we loop back through Ipswich every thirty miles so nobody has to get caught out and fed up miles from home.

4F

I would prefer earlier to be honest but will go with the majority decision. I will meet you at the giles statue in town

Top Bottom