Suffolk Sunrise May 10th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
buggi said:
This is the ride i broke my collar bone on :tongue:(last year)

it really hurt.

Suffolk paramedics are good looking though! :biggrin:

Did you break it after going over your handlebars after the lunch stop ?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The two slices of lemon cake (following the tomato soup, 3 sandwiches, grapes and two cups of tree) clearly had a medicinal effect as after lunch, for the final 10 miles, I had something more like my normal pedal power available. I actually overtook nine - yep, NINE! - people in the first 2 miles.

No wonder you do so well in cyc Logs, if you drink cups of tree. :tongue::biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Joking apart, Auntie Helen, that was a very good write up. I always enjoy reading the planning part of these rides, your photos are excellent (puts faces to names) and I look forward to reading more. :angry:

And the Lanterne Rouge goes to.....

Great ride report from Auntie Helen, specially the pictures! :biggrin:

Hi, another Suffolk Sunrise rider here. I didn't meet up with any of the other Cycle-Chatters, mainly because we didn't start the ride until nearly 9am due to a misunderestimate of where Woodbridge actually is in relation to Newmarket (we thought it was 30 miles away and it turns out to be all the way over there on the other side of Ipswich! Ah well)

But, when we finally got going it was a really nice ride. Lovely sunshine and NO WIND (it's back now though I notice). The first 15 miles before the ferry were pretty easy, though because we were so late we hardly saw any other cyclists and kept wondering if we'd gone off route - the yellow signage arrows were there to rescue us though (no Garmins here!).

When we arrived at the ferry there was some dicussion of how many people there were behind us - not that many is the answer, as fifteen minutes later a couple of people turned up! An hour's wait for the ferry at least gave me time for a loo break and a banana, but I was starting to go cold by the time we got to the front of the queue and I was very glad it wasn't raining at this point.

Other side of the river the roads became narrower and windier as they went through tiny villages and bits of bluebell wood - this ride goes through some very scenic areas of Suffolk (though were did those hills come from? I'm sure they weren't on the route profile!). At a couple of points the roads are completely returning to nature, with grass growing up the middle and sand-drifts at the edges.

We made sure we followed the signs for the 50 route where it split from the hundred, and soon it was time for lunch. At the lunch stop, bearing in mind we were some of the last to go through, there was an incredible amount of food left - crates of grapes, mounds of sandwiches, and about 400 bananas. We did our best but there was still quite a lot left when we were done.

The last ten miles we actually caught up with some other riders and rode in a group for a while. We overtook two people as well, just in time for the two hilly bits right at the end as the ride came back into Woodbridge. We must have been right at the back of the 50-miler group by this time as on arrival we were greeted by name as we handed our t-shirts and medals.

The organisation (especially the availability of cups of tea!) on this ride was very good, and overall we had a really good day. Next year I shall leave a bit earlier (!) try for the hundred!!

stevevw

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
We also had another "Garmin moment" and I am sure Stevevw can explain how he managed to do 104 miles when he drove to the start as well as how he managed to miss the 80 mile drink stop :biggrin:. I however used "FFFF Nav" which involved following the little black arrows on the yellow rectangles and pleased to report that sometimes the old ways are the best. :smile:

All in all quite a nice ride.

In defence of Garry 2 (My Garmin) the programmed course was from the Action Medical site which differed from the signed course on a few occasions. I can only put this down to human error on the part of those who put the signs out. :biggrin:

The detour did nearly kill me as I thought FFFF must be in front of me when I got back on course so pushed on a bit hard and harder still when I saw a white jersey on some of the longer straights. When I eventually caught FFFF it was not him but a rather nice looking young lady wearing a white cropped top which made the extra effort well worthwhile. :sad: I was so tired I had to follow her for some miles :sad: To be honest when I got to the lunch stop I still thought FFFF was in front and was just about to leave when he rolled in, which was a good excuse to have a bit longer rest.

Magic moments for me where
The beer with FFFF at the end
FFFF and I overtaking two young snakes on TT bikes wearing those pointy helmets et all.
The look on the faces of two young fast things at the finish when they realised that old fat bloke was still with them after they had overtaken me with two miles to go.

4F

stevevw said:
Magic moments for me where
FFFF and I overtaking two young snakes on TT bikes wearing those pointy helmets et all.

Where they the 2 a few miles after we got off the ferry ? :biggrin: I must admit at having a wry smile on face when we passed them :angry:

4F

Auntie Helen said:
Did you pass the Hoxne chaps, either of you?

Some of them were at the 4th drinks stop and I arrived after them and left before them so technically speaking yes :angry: Steve did as he managed to miss this stopping point :biggrin:

stevevw

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Where they the 2 a few miles after we got off the ferry ? :biggrin: I must admit at having a wry smile on face when we passed them :angry:

Yes those two. I must say your turn of speed when you pulled out to pass them was very impressive. I just had to say morning to them on the way past. :biggrin: They where too embaressed to stop at the next drink stop.

Auntie Helen said:
Did you pass the Hoxne chaps, either of you?

All the gear No idea :smile: Not on the road but we both got to the end before them.

Top Bottom