Suffolk Sunrise May 10th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
One pointy helmet chap went past me about the 70 mile mark but I didn't see the second.

I was probably overtaken by FFFF, i.e very, er, big guy with a Cyclechat shirt, although he did later seem to be at every stop when I arrived there:smile: Quite an impressive turn of speed up a hill!

By the time I got to Cretingham, I was starting to struggle and then I was overtaken by a pack of dozen or so assorted bikers who sped on greetingless and who then went straight past someone clearly having some problems with a puncture repair.

I stopped, rather hoping, I admit, that I would be told she was ok, and found a grey haired older cyclist (a bit like me in the age stakes) who was definitely not ok. She'd got the tube partly out but had got completely stuck with removing the wheel.

Like me, she was on her first hundred and had even followed the same beginners training guide. However, she'd never had a puncture before because it seemed the training period was as long as she'd been riding a bike!

While slightly annoyed that she wasn't fully prepared, I couldn't help but admire someone who seemed to have just gone for the 100 from scratch. I changed the tube for her and I hope she made the last few miles.

John

Well done John - you're a winner! Bet she was grateful. :biggrin:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Aperitif said:
Well done John - you're a winner! Bet she was grateful. :biggrin:

I think she was but I was not in much of a condition to be very chatty at that point in the ride - I just wanted to finish by then and I was also out of water and feeling it!

It didn't help that I was a bit p**sed off that a group of geared up and clearly experienced riders had just gone straight past her leaving novice me in an advanced stage of knackeredness to help her out.

I know there's ride support available but they could at least have asked - everyone else did after I had stopped to help, which kind of made up for it. Being a man, I declined all these offers while wishing I had some assistance.

John

stevevw

Guru
Rezillo said:
I was probably overtaken by FFFF, i.e very, er, big guy with a Cyclechat shirt, although he did later seem to be at every stop when I arrived there:smile: Quite an impressive turn of speed up a hill!

John
It could have been FFFF or me that you saw at the feeding stations. If you thought you was seeing double at the lunch stop do not worry we both managed to find that one. ;)

Every person that I passed that had a problem I asked if they needed help and like you I noticed that a lot just rode passed. Good on you for helping out.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Rezillo said:
Your choice of two hill-climbing guys with CycleChat shirts...:
GEDC0284.jpg

Well done for stopping to help the lady; I, too, offered assistance once or twice to people stopped by the side of the road but I think they were just getting food out of their panniers or something ;)

Rezillo

TwoSheds
stevevw said:
John
It could have been FFFF or me that you saw at the feeding stations. If you thought you was seeing double at the lunch stop do not worry we both managed to find that one. ;)

Every person that I passed that had a problem I asked if they needed help and like you I noticed that a lot just rode passed. Good on you for helping out.

Yes, I did think I was seeing double at Peasenhall ;)

That was quite a stack of sarnies they laid on there. All they needed was some freshly cooked bacon from Emmets down the road:biggrin:

I wasn't sure of the protocol for offering help as this was only my second group ride but I asked everyone who was alone but not those in pairs who looked clued up and already had the wheel off.

John

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rezillo said:
:ohmy: Quite an impressive turn of speed up a hill!

hmmm that was probably the only hill I was quick up ;) probably the one before the lunch stop ;)

4F

stevevw said:
The detour did nearly kill me as I thought FFFF must be in front of me when I got back on course so pushed on a bit hard and harder still when I saw a white jersey on some of the longer straights. When I eventually caught FFFF it was not him but a rather nice looking young lady wearing a white cropped top loke was still with them after they had overtaken me with two miles to go.

Steve, I hear Specsavers are doing some good deals at the moment ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
hmmm that was probably the only hill I was quick up ;) probably the one before the lunch stop ;)

could be the way to a thinner you, get your meals placed at the top of progressively tougher hills:biggrin:

good stuff on the ride, looks like a great day, liked the little ferry

buggi

Bird Saviour
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Did you break it after going over your handlebars after the lunch stop ?

yea, did you see it??? was you there??? can you tell me what the f&ck happened coz i can't remember a damn thing. (it was at about 71 miles i think)

4F

Nice, I notice my facial expression is different at the 15 mile shot compared to the 98 mile one. My number was 204, what numbers was everyone else ?

Top Bottom