England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ed!

Ah, so this is who I saw (or rather saw me) in Regents Park. I was on my way back from a skating session in North London.

Lovely day for a ride!

Fly

me too possibly...

waking up fail...

next week..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow, that was hot, hot, hot out there today.
6 of us at HPC this morning. Myself, Mark, Mr V for Vengedetta, Aperitif, Musa and His Royal Sereneness Topcat1.
We knew we would be heading off to Ally Pally so no faffing around deciding where to go.
A lap of Hyde Park with a quick stop at BentMikey's workplace but once again he's was probably still in bed. And we will have to have to have words about all the chalky mess these skaters leave all over the road. ;)

So we sped off to Ally Pally, fighting our way along a very bus congested Oxford Street. In Regent's Park to draft some serious roadies who thought they were fast :rolleyes:. Through Camden Town where I was horrified to see my old work office over looking the canal now a few piles of demolished bricks and concrete.

Then it was the long slog up to Ally Pally. At least the approach road has been very nicely re-tarmacked so lovely and smooth to the top. And a cracking view it was today too.

We decamped into the Cafe to chew the fat, chew some food and do a little bit of people watching. And would you believe it, we saw our very first Cycle Chat jersey in the wild.... and not only that.. it was one of the brand new ones I posted out on Friday. Phil recognised me, but to my embarrassment me not him... and then it clicked. We rode together on a Maldon Speedy Ride for Food last year.

So back down to London Taahn for us. A lovely downhill 'most' of the way and back to Hyde Park. We where going for another coffee but due to the Proms In The Park all the coffee huts were absolutely heaving with people.. oh well.

So I decided to split for home.. took Musa with me and left him to turn for home at the Oval whilst I hit for home along my normal working day commute.

72 miles on the clock for today.. boy it was hot and sunny.
Cheers all for the company.

And oh yes.. we saw Ed in Regent's Park... we recognised the bike before we recognised Ed... the skates should have given us a better clue. :smile:

Topcat Dave was the train driver for this excursion to Arnold Palace. Thanks Dave - it was yet another fine day out.
Same time, same place, and Paul had added less weight to his 'dust bike' - The Venge - in the form of ceramic jockey wheels. Ceramic indeed - £ more than a bone china tea set for a pair of these!
Sunday London Ally Pally.jpgA.jpg

For good measure, he had lightened up a bit since the last outing.
Sunday London Ally Pally 002.jpgA.jpg

Even his shoelaces were trimmed down a bit
Sunday London Ally Pally 004.jpgA.jpg

I wore a base layer and longs as it was a bit chilly early this morning* - the temperature didn't get much warmer as we climbed into the stratosphere of Alexandra Palace, after the carefully choreographed photo call in front of The Albert Memorial. Musa - the Wayne Sleep of our dance company was at the forefront of everything as Dave's photo will undoubtedly show. *Only joking by the way - it was ramping hot...so much so, we had to have two drinks and an extra long chat at the café.
The views were terrific:
'Sitting on Topcat of the World...'
Sunday London Ally Pally 021.jpg

Point of view
Sunday London Ally Pally 012.jpgA.jpg

It looked like Grandad and Grandma Legg were out to play too - but I could have been mistaken...
Sunday London Ally Pally 007.jpgA.jpg

Thereafter we descended. I had a good speed on the counter at times, but there were one or two quite nice stretches of road - just for us! :smile:
No ride to North London is complete without Ian paying homage to Arsenal Football Club shop. xx( Eh Ian?
Sunday London Ally Pally 026.jpgA.jpg

And boom! We were back in Regents Park, doing a bit of a lap...saw Ed and then dodged down to Hyde Park again to say ta ta and make our respective ways out of town. Mark, Dave and I went up to Speakers Corner for a bit of education and perspective. It was all there:
Hammer and tongs at the top of their voices!
Sunday London Ally Pally 029.jpgB.jpg

And in case you wondered what the guy's t shirt indicated:
Sunday London Ally Pally 028.jpgA.jpg

And, there were even a couple of 'pointers' aimed at 'certain folk' who try to derail the Lance Armstrong thread at every opportunity.
View attachment 12485
Sunday London Ally Pally 032.jpgA.jpg

Thanks Dave.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
lol @ the pics.., seems Im not the only one taking my bike weight to the extreme, blooming piss takers :blush: .....As always the weather was great, as was the company. All the people who blew this one off missed a great ride. The views from Ally Pally were incredible, a serious wow moment for me. BTW the jockey wheel bearings are ceramic , not the entire thing, but they are pretty light :becool: and if you boys did not notice every ounce counts when your pulling it up hills. Ian came on some Kona which I seriously thought was ultra cool, it is so modern-retro at the same time, personally I would keep that for best and commute on the van nic.... Can't express how much I like that bike.
Still had the craving to put a certain Di2 loom back in the frame where it belongs, bloody thing looks like its escaped :whistle:
Great day in a seriously cool city.

philk56

Guru
Hi - good to meet with you today. Being from up North London we usually go out into the country, but today thought we would do a few bits around town. Certainly was warm. Must have just missed you in Regents Park. Will get the chain cleaner out before next ride - wouldn't want to dishonour the shirt any further!

U

User10571

Looks like you had a top day out!
Laughing hilariously at the pics of Paul-the-Swiss-cheese-man ^_^
And, 'Teef, you know they'll be narrow gauge laces he's deployed...... don't you.

Just back from an equally hot an' sweaty 82 miles around Billericay / Kelvedon etc.

Some random bloke came up to me in a pub near Fordham and said 'You're Bradley Williams, aren't you?' :rolleyes:
Black sox.
Innit.

lol @ the pics.., seems Im not the only one taking my bike weight to the extreme, blooming **** takers :blush: .....As always the weather was great, as was the company. All the people who blew this one off missed a great ride. The views from Ally Pally were incredible, a serious wow moment for me. BTW the jockey wheel bearings are ceramic , not the entire thing, but they are pretty light :becool: and if you boys did not notice every ounce counts when your pulling it up hills. Ian came on some Kona which I seriously thought was ultra cool, it is so modern-retro at the same time, personally I would keep that for best and commute on the van nic.... Can't express how much I like that bike.
Still had the craving to put a certain Di2 loom back in the frame where it belongs, bloody thing looks like its escaped :whistle:
Great day in a seriously cool city.

Sir, I am shocked! I felt sure that each tooth was a minature Netsuke, willing to grasp your titanium gas chain on its way around the circuit of sworks. (Actually, it was my lazy English to blame, sorry.:blush:)

King Musa of Kensington with his Princes is lovely, Dave. And I like the pic of the flags in Jermyn St.

Hi - good to meet with you today. Being from up North London we usually go out into the country, but today thought we would do a few bits around town. Certainly was warm. Must have just missed you in Regents Park. Will get the chain cleaner out before next ride - wouldn't want to dishonour the shirt any further!
Phil - you were so lucky.
Ian was glaring at your bicycle with intent...and a moment away from a quick-draw babywipe!
Actually, he was considering defrocking you for disgracing The Shirt. This would involve having your CycleChat logo sliced off and your sleeve ripped from your arm, followed by a dishonourable discharge from the café - with no scones.
But he was in a generous mood on Sunday! :smile:
Sunday London Ally Pally 008.jpgA.jpg

Get your ducks in a row for next time...like this, or it could be your 'swansong'

Top Bottom