Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I did 3 sessions on a completely flat course and tried to hold it at 200 watt.

I get similar speed to Bob and Andy using Bkool power:
http://www.bkool.com/bkoolSessionHistory/showSessionSummary/2877997

When I use BePro power It takes a lot longer for things to settle in, and it does that at a considerably higher speed (24.24 mph):
http://www.bkool.com/bkoolSessionHistory/showSessionSummary/2878028

The last test was maintaining 200 BePro Watts, but using Bkool power:
http://www.bkool.com/bkoolSessionHistory/showSessionSummary/2878176
Here things seem to settle in at about 22.62 mph at 220 Bkool Watts.
This is really confusing (or is it just me?!)

On test 2, if the Bkool is using 200 watts as the power (based on your power meter), it should surely come up with a slower speed, not a faster one?! How can it think (wrongly) that it takes 220 watts to go 22.62mph (test 3), and yet on the same terrain, when it's being told you're doing "only" 200 watts, that would make you go 24.24mph (test 2)? :wacko:

bobinski

Legendary Member

On test 2, if the Bkool is using 200 watts as the power (based on your power meter), it should surely come up with a slower speed, not a faster one?! How can it think (wrongly) that it takes 220 watts to go 22.62mph (test 3), and yet on the same terrain, when it's being told you're doing "only" 200 watts, that would make you go 24.24mph (test 2)? :wacko:

It is confusing!

If you really want to test things out you could ride auto connected and then manual with ant+ fec

mangowifi

Hi mangowifi - do you mean the time when the races take place?

If so, the chaingang live race takes place at 7pm (with 10 min warm-up) on a Thursday, and there's usually a re-run at 5pm on a Saturday.

You just need to look for the chaingang league stage in the "Live" tab on Bsim (don't start it from the league tab if joining the live race) at 7pm Thurs or 5pm Sat, and join in from there. If you've been accepted in the league group by an admin, your time will then show up in the league results.

Best to look on here before each live race as whoever's going to start the race will confirm details.

If you can't make the live session at those times, you can start the session yourself another time, either from your "League" tab on Bsim or by challenging someone else who's already done the stage and adding some ghosts - once you've set this up, it will also be found in the "League" tab - but the live Thursday or Saturday sessions are more fun if you can make it!

Most questions you may have will be covered in this very useful post by Geoff - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bkool-faq.191965/

Edit: We also usually do a handicap race (either a time or weight handicap to try and level out finishing times) at 8pm on a Tuesday - you'll have to be a member of the handicap league to do this one

Cheers for the info! I will be in attendance, if possible!

LBHIFI

Veteran
It is confusing!

If you really want to test things out you could ride auto connected and then manual with ant+ fec
You think there is a difference how it connects auto vs manual? The second test was using auto where it automatically pics up the BePros. Perhaps I should retry that test using manual?

bobinski

Legendary Member
You think there is a difference how it connects auto vs manual? The second test was using auto where it automatically pics up the BePros. Perhaps I should retry that test using manual?

I, perhaps somewhat naively, think that in order to comply with the ant+fec standards bkool had to write the software and get it tested so it complied with the standard. That way, all things being equal, one turbo will perform much the same as another in an ant +fec environment eg. Zwift or trainer road. It took bkool a long time. My anecdotal experience is bkool pro is pretty accurate in zwift and i have said before my ftp there mirrors my ftp in Trainer road whilst in bsim it is 50-70w higher.
I also think that when i manual connect the differences or foibles we experience are much reduced or even non existant so i THINK a manual connect produces a more accurate outcome and the similarity with Andy's figure MAY reflect this...or not! So much is conjecture:laugh:

Last edited:

LBHIFI

Veteran
I, perhaps somewhat naively, think that in order to comply with the ant+fec standards bkool had to write the software and get it tested so it complied with the standard. That way, all things being equal, one turbo will perform much the same as another in an ant +fec environment eg. Zwift or trainer road. It took bkool a long time. My anecdotal experience is bkool pro is pretty accurate in zwift and i have said before my ftp there mirrors my ftp in Trainer road whilst in bsim it is 50-70w higher.
I also think that when i manual connect the differences or foibles we experience are much reduced or even non existant so i THINK a manual connect produces a more accurate outcome and the similarity with Andy's figure MAY reflect this...or not! So much is conjecture:laugh:
Ok, I just tried test 2 (200 BePro watts) with manual pairing, and I could not select BKool trainer. It was either Bkool or BePro.
It settled at about 21.74 mph and I noticed that the speed numbers were always blue, so I guess it switched to a mode where it calculates the speed based on the power.
And, theboxer, I now also got that message about it not counting in the rankings.

bazzer99

Bear in mind that for the velodrome stage we've just done you'll have to ride the velodrome (by challenging one of our rides?) and then do a minute on the Col de la Madeleine from the league tab and save that too.

This is because you can't actually include the velodrome in leagues for some reason so this is the way around it that Bill has set up.
Just done the Col de la Madeleine bit as well so hopefully am done now too. If not, I'll do the velodrome again this week.Cheers

LBHIFI

Veteran

Yes, apart from using Bkool trainer alone and using external power alone, apparently there's a third "hybrid" mode where they combine Bkool trainer and external power. Looks like that's the mode I should choose if I get in trouble in a velodrome session ^_^.

The test I just did using the external power only, gives the same speed/power ratio as using bkool only: 21.7 mph/ 200 watt.This was also the same ratio as Bob and Andy registered, so it looks like they use the same equation for the none-hybrid modes.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Ok, I just tried test 2 (200 BePro watts) with manual pairing, and I could not select BKool trainer. It was either Bkool or BePro.
It settled at about 21.74 mph and I noticed that the speed numbers were always blue, so I guess it switched to a mode where it calculates the speed based on the power.
And, theboxer, I now also got that message about it not counting in the rankings.

So, very similar to Mine and Andy's findings

150W~19mph-18.9
200W~21.5mph-21.9
250W~23.7mph-23.4
300W~25.3mph-26.1
350W~27.5mph-27.4
400W~28.6mph-30.00

bridgy

Legendary Member
Yes, apart from using Bkool trainer alone and using external power alone, apparently there's a third "hybrid" mode where they combine Bkool trainer and external power. Looks like that's the mode I should choose if I get in trouble in a velodrome session ^_^.

The test I just did using the external power only, gives the same speed/power ratio as using bkool only: 21.7 mph/ 200 watt.This was also the same ratio as Bob and Andy registered, so it looks like they use the same equation for the none-hybrid modes.
I remember reading a post on Zwift saying that they can't use power from a power meter with a smart trainer like the Bkool pro, because the software gets confused with the two lots of power data being reported (or something like that). I wonder if that's what's happening in bkool in this "hybrid" mode?

So in the power meter only mode, does the trainer no longer adjust resistance for slope changes?

Top Bottom