The 2015 Night Ride thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'll definitely come along for the beer, but I reckon you are on to a loser.

If people are organising things, that includes picking the date. So I suspect that, in the absence of the benign dictator, a system of people just fixing things up and announcing them, in the manner of the Whitstable crew, is more likely to prevail than an attempt by one of us mere mortals to impose a top-down calendar.
I see the Slag-fest (mine's something darker, by the way) as more of an opportunity to share ideas than an attempt to dictate. A little bit of steering will be the best bet.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Rest assured, the overly gassy Slagg has left the menu.
They have Kernel now IIRC!

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Like so many on here my cycling adventures have been totally transformed by discovering FNRttC. For me I just love the cycling along dark country lanes enjoying talking to friends and strangers or just enjoying a bit of me and my thoughts. Its people who make me return and I am not that fussed about where it finishes as long as there are those lovely 'Friday Peeps', delightful quiet country lanes to discover, a reasonable breakfast and train station near by to get home from. Discovering new lanes and destinations has always been a highlight such as the Manchester and York rides (no seaside in Hull....) @dellzeqq has shown us the magic formula so lets keep his vision and the aspirations and make him proud.

Fridays, and one Thursday, nearest to full moons are
6 March
2 April
1 May
5 June
3 July
31 July, blue moon
28 August
25 September
30 October
7 November

Maybe if we decide on dates now then those who are happy to lead a ride can put their suggestions against a date for the majority to choose their preferred options if more than one is submitted.

Last edited:

AKA Bob

Perhaps amend the first post to show the planned dates and fill it in with destinations?

Maybe we forget all ideas of new destinations and stick to the old favourites and just keep FNRttC as it has evolved in 2015 and use the next 12 months to consider ways of giving it a gentle 'facelift' and enter 2016 with a considered and approved game plan?

hatler

Guru
Maybe we forget all ideas of new destinations and stick to the old favourites and just keep FNRttC as it has evolved in 2015 and use the next 12 months to consider ways of giving it a gentle 'facelift' and enter 2016 with a considered and approved game plan?
That would get my vote. If you try changing too many things at once the end result could get messy.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Mix and match perhaps? Reduce Brighton. Boot out Burnham because the cafe don't like us. Keep Whitstable because the halfway and cafe are both lovely. Keep Felpham likewise, if The Cabin remains on board. Fill gaps with experiments. That sort of thing.

can't we do Felpham with Gatwick as a halfway stof, if the Cabin Café jumps ship?

Anyway, I've added the Brigthon ride on March 6 and the Whitstable one on May 1 to the date list on page 1 of this discussion.

AKA Bob

The whole concept depends on how inclusive the rides are. Is it a select group of regulars using CycleChat to communicate which would mean many of our destinations may not be so 'keen' to have us as the 'cycle pound' will be a lot weaker because of small ride numbers or if Simon allows us to use FNRttC branding with him as the Chairman and operations run by a 'board of directors' we should be able to keep places like The Cabin and Stock on board? This would also allow more new comers to discover the wonders and delights of being sleep deprived on a bicycle......

StuartG

slower but further
Southend is important. Its the accessible ride for newbies. They are the future and we can maybe afford to backpedal elsewhere. Otherwise we just degenerate into another cycling clique.

I fear from the chat so far we are concentrating on the rides WE would like to do and not the ones for the people who have yet to realise they are Fridays. And of course although Southend is short it might need to be planned with more care particularly encouraging first timers - yet gently sifting out the no-hopers. A DZ speciality.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Mix and match perhaps? Reduce Brighton. Boot out Burnham because the cafe don't like us. Keep Whitstable because the halfway and cafe are both lovely. Keep Felpham likewise, if The Cabin remains on board. Fill gaps with experiments. That sort of thing.
Whatever we say on this thread - this is what will happen. People who want to organise something - either based on an existing ride or on a new concept - will do it. If no-one steps forward to organise Saaaafend it won't happen.

I get the impression that DZ will continue with the insurance, because it doesn't seem a lot of effort. The membership is done by the CTC online, and if we need a whip-round to pay the £75, my efforts at getting you all to pay less for a curry last Friday suggest it'll be a piece of cake.

I'll edit the first post to start a register.

Top Bottom