The 2015 Night Ride thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And @theclaud promised faithfully (or I may have got the wrong end of the stick) that she'd do Cardiff to the Gower on a day I'm not otherwise booked.
Well, there are clouds gathering over my 2015 diary already, but if at all possible I will do this. If all goes well I'll be able to offer a lift from London to Cardiff & back to one rider+ bike* providing they don't mind returning on Sunday afternoon after I've caught up on my kip.

* or possibly 2 if extra roof carriers or a Brompton are involved.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think that at some stage in the evening we all pestered TC about "her" ride..to the extent that she promised good weather just to get rid of me.:smile:
I've heard, both from TC and from DZ that those quote marks aren't entirely fair - all DZ did this time around was tell TC what date it was going to be on.

OP
OP
srw

srw

And, inspired by a post elsewhere in this forum proposing a day ride, I'm wondering whether a North Wales ride from somewhere like Chester to Anglesey might be a bit of fun - we have friends with a house overlooking the estuary who (if the house is in adequate repair) might be up for a bit of hosting.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
And, inspired by a post elsewhere in this forum proposing a day ride, I'm wondering whether a North Wales ride from somewhere like Chester to Anglesey might be a bit of fun - we have friends with a house overlooking the estuary who (if the house is in adequate repair) might be up for a bit of hosting.

Strange to say, I'd been considering a Chester-Caernarfon ride as an alternative to Manchester-Morecambe on the basis that they're both lovely towns (Chester and Caernarfon that is) and there looks to be some scenery en route. A mid-way food stop might be an issue though, as would the lack of a train station in Caernarfon. It's ~10 miles to Bangor and I think those heading south would have to change at Crewe. Shudder.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Strange to say, I'd been considering a Chester-Caernarfon ride as an alternative to Manchester-Morecambe on the basis that they're both lovely towns (Chester and Caernarfon that is) and there looks to be some scenery en route. A mid-way food stop might be an issue though, as would the lack of a train station in Caernarfon. It's ~10 miles to Bangor and I think those heading south would have to change at Crewe. Shudder.
Can I observe in passing that "scenery" on a night ride isn't necessarily a selling-point. It's either a euphemism for "hills" or else it's actually scenery. Either way, in the dark it's not immediately attractive.

subaqua

What’s the point
or ride to pwllheli and then do the 5 hr train trip to new street . yes I have done it , and no , never ever again despite the nice scenery

thom

____
Can I observe in passing that "scenery" on a night ride isn't necessarily a selling-point. It's either a euphemism for "hills" or else it's actually scenery. Either way, in the dark it's not immediately attractive.
Mid-summer, you might only need lights for half the ride. I think I remember Horley half-way stops seemingly in broad daylight..

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
or ride to pwllheli and then do the 5 hr train trip to new street . yes I have done it , and no , never ever again despite the nice scenery

Having researched my ride (the day one alluded to upthread) I was amazed to find a direct Colwyn Bay - London train which might be useful for someone's putative night ride. I guess that is coming from Holyhead so probably stops Bangor too

subaqua

What’s the point
Having researched my ride (the day one alluded to upthread) I was amazed to find a direct Colwyn Bay - London train which might be useful for someone's putative night ride. I guess that is coming from Holyhead so probably stops Bangor too
yeah North Wales isn't as bleak public tranport wise as some would have you beleive. was better before Beeching as you could go on the Ruabon- Barmouth line.

i like the old railways as they are nice routes . I might try and arrange a N Wales ride.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Looks like north Wales is the new London :smile:.

Ah - we know a thing or two about desperate marketing in Wales...

Swansea 001.jpg

swansonj

Guru
The romance of scenery on a bike is surely imbued through senses other than just the eyes. Otherwise a turbo trainer in a dark room would suffice.

Top Bottom