The 2015 Night Ride thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Strange to say, I'd been considering a Chester-Caernarfon ride as an alternative to Manchester-Morecambe on the basis that they're both lovely towns (Chester and Caernarfon that is) and there looks to be some scenery en route. A mid-way food stop might be an issue though, as would the lack of a train station in Caernarfon. It's ~10 miles to Bangor and I think those heading south would have to change at Crewe. Shudder.
@kimble, who, let's face it, knows an awful lot of things, has this to say on the subject: "Friends don't let friends change at Crewe". Wise words.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm looking at touring round Ireland next March. Unfortunately this will mean changing trains either at Crewe or Warrington Bank Quay (which is worse then Crewe IMHO)

kimble

Veteran
Shirley there are direct ATW trains between Bangor and Mordor Central, thobut. Okay, the bike capacity is a little underwhelming, and the last time I used one I ended up having to make two unscheduled changes as various pieces of rolling stock became unserviceable, but it does at least avoid Crewe.

2wheelsgeth

Rebuilt, but not yet better than ever
I was hoping to do some FNRttCs next year, having missed out on nearly six months of cycling, I thought it would be a fun way of getting some miles in my legs for Velothon Wales/London-Paris/Ventoux/whatever else I decide to do in an ill-advised moment of over-enthusiasm. If I promise to join CTC and not be too much of a pr1ck*, can I?

*Disclaimer - my idea of not being too much of a pr1ck may vary from other peoples', my cycling ability can go down as well as up etc

I like your 2015 turbowear, Adrian. Well, I think you'd look as distinguished...
2b092fe4-141e-4509-9595-89a8b351dfb2-1360x2040.jpe

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I have done my best to wade through 15 pages of this thread, and am delighted to report that some of it is not utter bollocks. Are there any actual definite dates for night rides next year?
I have a note of a possible Whitstable ride with @Trickedem and the @swarm_catcher Ostend ride in May. Are there any more?

I'm very happy to organise one, perhaps Brighton as I am sort of local to that area. But I'm in Patagonia in January and February so will miss any planning that happens during that time.
And I'm in for the Cherbourg to Caen one in May but is there any talk of other Fridays tours? I wasn't on the Southend ride.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have done my best to wade through 15 pages of this thread, and am delighted to report that some of it is not utter bollocks. Are there any actual definite dates for night rides next year?
I have a note of a possible Whitstable ride with @Trickedem and the @swarm_catcher Ostend ride in May. Are there any more?

I'm very happy to organise one, perhaps Brighton as I am sort of local to that area. But I'm in Patagonia in January and February so will miss any planning that happens during that time.
And I'm in for the Cherbourg to Caen one in May but is there any talk of other Fridays tours? I wasn't on the Southend ride.
Yes, there are more dates....see post #1.... :smile:

sagefly

Veteran
Sorry, just to clarify (I was rushing because the Butler had just hit the dinner gong ...).
Of course volunteers, compulsion would be silly.

In terms of Oxford to London specifically; there's no good reason why it has to stop in Acton, the final miles into say HPC or other are easy and with little traffic on a Saturday morn between 7 and 8 am..
Hill-wise, it really depends on the route taken (there are many variations). OK you have to get up over Chinnor or similar but other than that there are few hills of any note. Chinnor hill now has ToB fame to boot! If people can do L2B, then O2L is certainly no harder.

Anyhow, as you were.
I've sounded out a decent pub for breakfast that also has good secure space to park the bikes up, if that food\beer option is required.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Aha. Thanks @StuAff
Silly me, starting at the most recent posts and working backwards. Apologies.
Right - when I get back in March I'll sign up for things.
Will there be a Christmas-time London ride with Added Architectural Awesomeness followed by beer? Or is that history?
And do I see no sign of a week-long Fridays Tour involving Johnny Foreigner and Scrufulous Peasants? Or indeed, a Cheerful & Friendly White Van Man? (Not that I'm naming names at all, @ianmac62)
Is there any thinking about this?

Top Bottom