The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
So

Butcher number 2, who makes the better and cheaper pies, said pretty much the same, "grey meat" but the seasoning mix has lots of salt to keep the pink. The next time I am at the catering wholesalers ill have a look for pork pie seasoning! Edit: found it online.

https://butchers-sundries.com/products/pork-pie-seasoning?_pos=1&_sid=fed3934c0&_ss=r

Butcher 1 is quite tame and may well let me have a cupful if i ask.

Anyway.... Butcher 1's Pie

1696686217183.png

Butcher 2's Pie

1696686270865.png

To bring it back on thread a bit, I made some Naaaaaaaaa Breads - They're a bit like Naan Breads but differed so much from any sensible naan bread recipe that i cant really call then naan breads.
Still washed the warm up curry down well.

1696686412664.png

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Its just salt and white pepper!!!

Tom B

Guru
Its just salt and white pepper!!!

Butcher 1 mentioned salt, pepper, mace and something else I forgot... I'll ask again next time I'm at his shop.

Mace seems quite a popular thing to mix with pork, I remember once trying to make my own Cumberland sausages and it was in the seasoning for that, and for a stuffing mix once made.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I honestly can’t remember the last time I made a sourdough. I stopped because my wife doesn’t like it and it’s too much for me to eat quickly enough before it goes stale.

However, her friend has asked me to make one so I thought I’d practise it first to see if I can still get my timings right. Plus, I had a starter to make.

It was looking fine when I put the shaped dough into the fridge last night but as soon as I turned it out onto the peel, it started to deflate. In fact it was quite flat and sad looking when I put it in the oven.

After 30 minutes, I was pleasantly surprised to see it had risen fairly well and was a reasonable looking loaf. Now I just need to wait for it to cool so I can do the taste test. Smells good and tangy though!

20231022_115213.jpeg

I think my slash should have been a little deeper.

Always Cross

Veteran
I make 4 tin loaves at a time if they are big ones I cut them in half and freeze them. If I make sourdough too strong the wife won’t eat it so I cut it in half for the freezer.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Following on from my non baking chilli jam, here is my chilli sea salt.
All made with my own dried and ground chilli of varying degrees of heat ( the hottest being bhut jolokia).

Some will be given as Christmas presents, some won’t!

I recently bought a little hand grinder from Amazon for 6 quid. It’s a very pleasant piece of apparatus.
IMG_7025.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

Svendo

Guru
Following on from my non baking chilli jam, here is my chilli sea salt.
All made with my own dried and ground chilli of varying degrees of heat ( the hottest being bhut jolokia).

Some will be given as Christmas presents, some won’t!

I recently bought a little hand grinder from Amazon for 6 quid. It’s a very pleasant piece of apparatus.
View attachment 712190

View attachment 712191

Do you grow herbs 🌿 as well as chillis 🌶️ ? 😉

Top Bottom