The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Cinnamon buns and cardamom knots (we've gone a bit Scandi this year!)
20231226_104904.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Again, not baking…. But I guess that you lot will be a receptive audience.

For Christmas Lisa bought me a cold smoker. Once opened we found it was damaged. So another was ordered.

On Saturday I bought and cured a side of salmon in a 50/50 salt and sugar mix for 24 hours. I then smoked it for 8 hours using oak wood dust.

The salmon is as good as any I’ve ever bought.
The cheese is also great.
I smoked a few other bits and bobs.

4F3E3CD5-CB75-47E3-8E08-A769FF9DAEAD.jpeg

1E879E57-7D48-4026-8D2A-D74067D59C34.jpeg

Hmmmm, I'm wondering... I've always got a plentiful supply of sawdust (proper hard & fruitwood, not any treated rubbish) thanks to keeping the heating fed. Instead of dumping that in the green wheelie bin, that would be ideal to "power" a smoker.

But would I get enough use out of one... :scratch:

It's the old cost vs use vs available storage thing.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
OTOH... This looks like a fun DIY project for the summer.

Far too cold to pootle about in the garage right now, and in any case, it's rather full of firewood. But I've got enough suitable things already knocking around to make this work. All I'd need to buy new is the hose and the mini garden incinerator. I'd probably make the cabinet somewhat smaller, purely for ease-of-storage.

That’s all you need. Same as mine really.

It’s funny, I didn’t really know I needed a smoker in my life until I got one!
It’s a thoughtful gift from my wife, and she knows I love messing around with stuff.

That’s all you need. Same as mine really.

It’s funny, I didn’t really know I needed a smoker in my life until I got one!
It’s a thoughtful gift from my wife, and she knows I love messing around with stuff.

I had a hot smoker BITD, that I designed and a neighbour built for me, which fitted atop a kettle BBQ. Both he and I used to go angling, so there was always a ready supply of both trout and eels to smoke. Not allowed to take eels anymore, which is a right shame as they're really tasty, and not many places actually *stock* smoked eels. :cry:

Have cured my own salmon for years (an adaptation of a Hairy Bikers recipe from their 12 Days of Christmas book), but I like the idea of making my own smoked salmon too. A DIY smoker would cost me next to nothing, as I've a load of random bits of timber, plywood and hardware that I can use.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My neighbour is an angler and he, too, has a smoker (hot).

We do a great trade of my bread for his fish across the fence. He knocked the door the other day and handed in a lovely piece of smoked trout. I can’t remember all the ingredients he used but there was cassis and I think brandy, among other things.

He experiments with various flavours and that was his best yet.

My neighbour is an angler and he, too, has a smoker (hot).

We do a great trade of my bread for his fish across the fence. He knocked the door the other day and handed in a lovely piece of smoked trout. I can’t remember all the ingredients he used but there was cassis and I think brandy, among other things.

He experiments with various flavours and that was his best yet.

Mmmm, I love hot smoked trout. :hungry:

Oddly, I find the simpler, the better when it comes to cured or smoked fish. My "standard" cure is, per 500g of fish, 25g sea salt, 17g of golden granulated sugar and just under a level tsp of ground black pepper. I ditched the dill from the Hairy Bikers' recipe because I found it was just too much.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Does dried fast action yeast go off?

I made some shifas (topped flat breads) at the weekend, but my dough was steadfastly refusing to rise much at all, I'd use yeast from an opened tin, so i the used a sealed sachet and did a re-knead in, which worked. the other option is as I tipped it all into the bowl before kneading is the salt hit the yeast as that can counteract it I think??

tom73

Guru
Does dried fast action yeast go off?

I made some shifas (topped flat breads) at the weekend, but my dough was steadfastly refusing to rise much at all, I'd use yeast from an opened tin, so i the used a sealed sachet and did a re-knead in, which worked. the other option is as I tipped it all into the bowl before kneading is the salt hit the yeast as that can counteract it I think??

Yes tin and packets have a use by date and a once opened use by x days. Tins normally say use my 4 months once open.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I keep dried yeast sealed as much as possible and in the fridge. It still gives a rise after several months or longer, but I make sure to use warm ingredients where possible. You can also make a ‘wake up’ starter with your yeast before using in the dough, with warm water and a bit of sugar. Then at least you know if it’s alive.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
the other option is as I tipped it all into the bowl before kneading is the salt hit the yeast as that can counteract it I think??

It really doesn’t matter if they come into contact prior to kneading; it won’t change the level of retardation. TV chefs and bakers always emphasise putting salt and yeast at opposite ends of the bowl but it‘s unnecessary.

Reactions: C R

richardfm

Veteran
It really doesn’t matter if they come into contact prior to kneading; it won’t change the level of retardation. TV chefs and bakers always emphasise putting salt and yeast at opposite ends of the bowl but it‘s unnecessary.

I have recipes that say add the salt to warm water and stir to dissolve, then sprinkle on the yeast and leave to stand for a bit before stirring and adding the flour . It always works.

Yeah, dried yeast eventually loses its "oomph" - which is why I now buy the cheap sachets rather than the larger tins as I'm not baking so much at the moment.

And yes, contact with salt will also fubar it. I tend to put the yeast and salt on opposite sides of the bowl prior to mixing.

Top Bottom