The best thing about being retired is...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sounds pretty good, I think it would suit me down to the ground.

I'm 23 and I've been working for two years now, almost exactly. Am I nearly there?

Find a job you enjoy and you will never go to work again, it is up to you.

Lee_M

Guru
I've tried to retire 3 times in the last five years, and have been tempted back 3 times.

Each time it has made a very positive impact on my bank balance and a very negative impact on my mental well being.

I think the next time will definitely be it.

Problem is I worry if I've got enough money to keep me going until I die, so I always think - another chunk won't hurt, but then spend a big chunk of that chunk on a toy as a reward for going back!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Retired at 48 and got bored after a year - I now potter about at my little business for about 20 hours a week for 30 weeks of the year. Keeps me sane.

I guess I am now halfway between being retired and being employed.

Best thing about being retired(ish) is I can do what I want when I want.

Worst thing is the looming presence of the Grim Reaper...

Worst thing is the looming presence of the Grim Reaper...

The worst thing is that Father Time is waiting for us to slip up at any time and won't hesitate to take us.

Or not.

I like him best at Lord's Cricket Ground cos he could either be starting an 'innings' or ending it.

upload_2016-12-5_17-1-12.jpeg

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I have 9 1/2 working days to go......

Although I'm intending to take a month off before working two days a week for a few months to ease myself in gently.

It's all a bit strange though - it feels like only a few weeks since I left school!
I hope you enjoy it, when it comes. It may feel like a few years since you left school, but anyone getting to retirement has earned it in my book. Enjoy.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
...waking up naturally each day.

No pressure to be up.
No alarm to jolt into wakefulness

Just a gentle, relaxed drift into a new day.

Bliss!

Problem for me is that I wake up naturally about 6.00 am each morning, almost regardless of what time I go to bed.....alarm clock - who needs one of them?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Problem for me is that I wake up naturally about 6.00 am each morning, almost regardless of what time I go to bed.....alarm clock - who needs one of them?
I tend to wake up naturally around 7.30 - 8.00.
Then I have a lie in, with two cups of tea, check out the Internet and news, then get up around 9.00 - 9.30.
I'm rarely up and about outside the house before 10.00.
I find this is my natural rhythm.
Some days though, I'm just bone idle......

Top Bottom