The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

So the framework for the commission looks all worked out. One year of investigation with a further 4 months as an option, the ability to hand out or reduce bans to UCI license holders, subject to WADA and UCI agreement, monthly reporting to Cookson etc....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cycling-independent-reform-commission-ready-to-go

12 months is not a long time though, having watched previous cases being enacted. One assumes they have a more summary process, relying on co-operation. Let's see what it brings out.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tygart seems to be proactive and getting a bit worried as to whether Cookson and the ne broom is making enough effort
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-to-supply-circ-with-an-unredacted-reasoned-decision

oldroadman

Veteran
Tygart has his own agenda, some of which seems to be keep Tygart in the news. He knows as everyone else that the commission has been working three months, and the sort of stuff they are doing cannot be in the public arena, or they will get zero co-operation and results. The schedule is a year with up to a four month extension. Everyone else is patient, there's no panic, I want to see a proper result and things cleaned up, not a rushed job which gets a few baddies and oushes the rest underground. This has to be done properly, and once. The sport has had too many false starts under the old regime. All the clean riders (and ex-riders) will have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You know, I was expecting to find a lot more to fill this thread with. It seemed like Phat was never out of the news but in this case, I can only think no news is good news.

thom

____
You know, I was expecting to find a lot more to fill this thread with. It seemed like Phat was never out of the news but in this case, I can only think no news is good news.
All we get is news like this, ASO announcing the La Course event with Marianne Vos :

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1418073031790987&set=vb.1391652451099712&type=2&theater

Long may it continue - people empowered to progress cycling without a defensive overlord grabbing the limelight.

U

User169

He was in Liege on Sunday - presented Kwiatkowski with his medal.

oldroadman

Veteran
And did the LBL sportive I think... he's worth following on Twitter, timely updates on what's going on.
I saw that, I bet that not many heads of big international federations are quite so dedicated to their actual sport - imagine Blatter playing lower league football for fun! All power to Mr Cookson, I think he's about the early to mid-sixties, and getting round a hard ride like LBL shows the benefits of a lifetime's exercise. Body fit, brain works well. Just what a UCI president should be, someone who understands what it's like to sit and suffer a bit like the ordinary guys, and then tries to make things better for everyone.

U

User169

Head of the Russian cycling federation is one of those named in the latest round of sanctions against
Putin's mates.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think I was a little conscious of the French distrust of the ''anglo-saxon'' influence on cycling, so I was worried about the reaction to him from over the water. It does seem that Cookson has even managed to leave French keyboard warriors with a lack of conspiracy theories to spout on about. It's not a criterion for judging his performance so far but, to me at least, it indicates something pretty significant.

When someone on this board referred to LA the other day (was it @thom ?) to refer to Lizzie Armistead it reminded me about how, for an age, it would have been impossible to use them for anyone else. And just now I had to think hard to remember the name of the ex-president of the UCI. That's 2 potholes removed from the road....

Top Bottom