The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you'll find this debate is and has been going on for a long time on most cycling Fora and public sites where there is a wide body of opinion and experience.
Happily, I know that it's also going on in real life, in places like highways authority casualty reduction working groups and, in my limited experience, all of the cycling groups now oppose helmet compulsion and promotion at long last - even ones from British Cycling finally seem to accept that it's not evidence-based, makes cycling seem dangerous unnecessarily and hinders take-up outside extreme sports types who don't mind buying a load of kit and armour.

I wish BC's events managers took the same approach and allowed freedom of choice at all BC-supported non-UCI events instead of the current yes-sometimes-but-mostly-no but that's something I suspect BC's dysfunctional democracy will have to sort out.

CaadX

I think you'll find this debate is and has been going on for a long time on most cycling Fora and public sites where there is a wide body of opinion and experience.
Questions about people's knowledge to support their views is pretty normal part of any discussion/debate
You've made an incorrect assumption about a question I asked.
Most of us are not interested about whether you wear a helmet or not.

Why ARE you wasting your time here? You clearly don't like our honest answers
Because he enjoys the sport.

Usually in your case I would agree . Not this time however.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaadX

Happily, I know that it's also going on in real life, in places like highways authority casualty reduction working groups and, in my limited experience, all of the cycling groups now oppose helmet compulsion and promotion at long last - even ones from British Cycling finally seem to accept that it's not evidence-based, makes cycling seem dangerous unnecessarily and hinders take-up outside extreme sports types who don't mind buying a load of kit and armour.

I wish BC's events managers took the same approach and allowed freedom of choice at all BC-supported non-UCI events instead of the current yes-sometimes-but-mostly-no but that's something I suspect BC's dysfunctional democracy will have to sort out.
Questions about people's knowledge to support their views is pretty normal part of any discussion/debate
You've made an incorrect assumption about a question I asked.
Most of us are not interested about whether you wear a helmet or not.

Why ARE you wasting your time here? You clearly don't like our honest answers.
You are talking to a BC events organiser what would you like to say exactly ?

Last edited by a moderator:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You are talking to a BC events organiser what would you like to say exactly ?
Would you ask BC to support freedom of choice?

But I know there are already other organisers who have done that. It doesn't seem to be many organisers who oppose freedom of choice. It seems to be some pro-compulsion BC event managers who write the mandatory so-called "guidelines" that events must follow.

CaadX

Indeed Road Race series and Sportive also Time trials but thats a different kettle of fish.

Should of taken my offer earlier before it all got to heated I knew I should of gone earlier, but I thought Adrian was about to get an

But I know there are already other organisers who have done that. It doesn't seem to be many organisers who oppose freedom of choice. It seems to be some pro-compulsion BC event managers who write the mandatory so-called "guidelines" that events must follow.
You ve sort of got it half right and it does depend on the organisation remember not all events are held by clubs tho' I wish that were so. We have a directive from BC which is applied really by the UCI . In our case it is decided by committee

CaadX

Sorry missed the first part, I support freedom of choice.

I

CaadX

@CaadX Do/What evidence do BC consider for/against helmets that they use in their positioning? What evidence does the UCI use to convince BC?
As far as I know The UCI use no evidence, its a directive BC pass that on to us. As I understand it, it is intended for high speed events where any impact would be a glancing type blow. Basically going down at speed on tarmac. Its all very grey. Why its enforced in other events is beyond me. I suppose the wiggle and chain reaction type of events is because they sell helmets.

CaadX

Interesting in our case is we enforce the no helmet no ride on our sportive as I said it is decided by committee, and its female led, and guess who that would be ?

CaadX

See I think the whole helmet debate is a smokescreen we get tangled up in, its s bloody democracy freedom of choice is what matters.

Then again our committee is a form democracy too nothing is simple.

CaadX

My dilemma with RR is the type of accident that usually occurs roadrash or grazing is the injury likely to occur not an impact a helmet maybe of some use. If there hero's where them ' well they've got to be right for me right ?' comes from.

If you are all happy with the way your campaign is going fine. I look at the swelling ranks of junior and youth riders and they all like little MAMILS with helmets to match to me, while at the same time more and more raliegh ti caps and toe clips are being hung up.

Cyclings dynamic is changing and its accelerating. Just keep the freedom of choice at the fore front and do not get too hung up with the helmets themselves. Is all I am saying.

I do hope I have not offended anybody with a couple of the rants.

Apart from you Mugshot lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom