The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaadX

No need to PM. If it's that secret I'm better off not knowing.

The Strava thing? Well I doubt we'll agree on this, but I'll try to explain ....

Cycling is booming, that's a good thing. It's also being marketed hard which is also a good thing, but unfortunately only a certain kind of cycling is being promoted and for want of a better stereotype, it's the MAMIL type that is being targeted. I meet a lot of people new to cycling, who have read the magazines, the websites like Roadcc, Cycling Weakly etc that heavily promotes a very singular type of cycling, the Wanna-be racer; Carbon Fibre bikes, team kit, Sportives, Strava, Training rides, Gels yadda yadda of which wearing a helmet is de-rigeur as being part of the tribe. Most buy this stuff because the media tells them too. And then they tell everyone else that this is how cycling is, you need to wear a helmet because it's dangerous. I overheard such a discussion last week on the plane, being dangerous seemed to be part of the attraction, the machismo.
I've sat next to a recent convert to cycling in the pub (all the kit and no experience) after a ride berating one of the younger riders for not wearing a helmet with all the usual nonsense. The fact is that the kid in question cycled out of his mothers womb, as his mother had cycled out of her mothers, his whole family lived on 2 wheels, they knew about cycling, roadcraft, safety.... they hadn't read it in a magazine or bought it from Wiggle.
So now we have wanna be racers preaching the gospel of the unproven. and tearing around like Bradley Wiggins with little experience collecting segments or going 'training' coming unstuck and thanking their helmets for saving their lives - again completely unfounded.
So yes, in a roundabout way and only in my weird opinion, Strava is part of the problem.
Fashionable ! cycling ! Never ! Well knock me down with a feather .

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So yes, in a roundabout way and only in my weird opinion, Strava is part of the problem.
I think it's the other war round - that Strava is a symptom of the "head down arse up" "everything has to be a competition and I have to go as fast as possible" people.

That would be fine if utility cycling was being given as much attention.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Cycling is constantly evolving and developing.
Mine isn't. I think I may have peaked.

Some people will be left behind or sidelined.
Oh well, I'll just have to live with that, press on ahead without me. I just want to get to work quickly and cheaply, maintain fitness, ride the odd longer ride with a group, solo tour a little. None of my cycling needs a helmet to be safe.

When I resumed cycling four years ago I naively bought a black and red Specialized helmet to match my black and red Specialized bike, so I do understand the marketing and tribal pressure - I fell for it. I'm grateful to those who have taken the time to expand my knowledge and understanding since then. I'm happier now.

CaadX

Mine isn't. I think I may have peaked.

Oh well, I'll just have to live with that, press on ahead without me. I just want to get to work quickly and cheaply, maintain fitness, ride the odd longer ride with a group, solo tour a little. None of my cycling needs a helmet to be safe.

When I resumed cycling four years ago I naively bought a black and red Specialized helmet to match my black and red Specialized bike, so I do understand the marketing and tribal pressure - I fell for it. I'm grateful to those who have taken the time to expand my knowledge and understanding since then. I'm happier now.
One assumes you would still like to have that choice in the future ? If so I would start distancing yourself from this rabble pretty pronto they are not doing you or the rest of us any favours.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
One assumes you would still like to have that choice in the future ? If so I would start distancing yourself from this rabble pretty pronto they are not doing you or the rest of us any favours.

What drivel is this?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What drivel is this?

My time here is done.

Well, apart from the occasional visit to stick a head round the door of this thread and lob in a few insults

If so I would start distancing yourself from this rabble pretty pronto they are not doing you or the rest of us any favours.

:okay:

CaadX

What drivel is this?
I will always have the choice.

I don't know what this means. Can you explain?
Why do you think this debate is being carried out on a backwater on an obscure cycling forum by a handful of people? I will give you one indication of how coherent and interested they are. Ive been her for a few pages taken the insults had my knowledge of the subject questioned been asked how long I've been riding and the fools havn't even bothered to ask if I wear a helmet or not when I ride. A flaming Joke.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why do you think this debate is being carried out on a backwater on an obscure cycling forum by a handful of people? I will give you one indication of how coherent and interested they are. Ive been her for a few pages taken the insults had my knowledge of the subject questioned been asked how long I've been riding and the fools havn't even bothered to ask if I wear a helmet or not when I ride. A flaming Joke.
I think you'll find this debate is and has been going on for a long time on most cycling Fora and public sites where there is a wide body of opinion and experience.
Questions about people's knowledge to support their views is pretty normal part of any discussion/debate
You've made an incorrect assumption about a question I asked.
Most of us are not interested about whether you wear a helmet or not.

Why ARE you wasting your time here? You clearly don't like our honest answers.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

So if it's so irrelevant, how can it be the case that our discussion is, in your words, not doing "the rest of you" any favours?

Top Bottom