The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaadX

Of course .... Why wouldn't I?
She s fine out on bike preaching the virtues of the helmet to anyone that cares to listen bless her.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed Road Race series and Sportive also Time trials but thats a different kettle of fish.
Actually, if your club imposes a helmet requirement on TTs, then it's one of the rare ones. CTT don't require helmets and I thought they were against member clubs requiring them but I'm not 100% sure as it's not my type of riding.

We have a directive from BC which is applied really by the UCI . In our case it is decided by committee
UCI's rule only applies to racing, but BC and some of its clubs apply it far more widely, to charity rides and even social rides :sad:

Sorry missed the first part, I support freedom of choice.
Good to know, but would/have you asked BC to?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you are all happy with the way your campaign is going fine. I look at the swelling ranks of junior and youth riders and they all like little MAMILS with helmets to match to me, while at the same time more and more raliegh ti caps and toe clips are being hung up.
Yeah, but that's in a racing club bubble, isn't it? BC and club rules explain most of that and I suspect fewer BC clubs care about not being able to just get on a bike and ride without donning strange clothes so it's much harder to challenge the entrenched helmet-pushers inside that bubble... but outside that, I'd say helmet-wearing is actually falling at the moment, at least where I'm cycling (mostly West Norfolk, Cambridge and London).

CaadX

Actually, if your club imposes a helmet requirement on TTs, then it's one of the rare ones. CTT don't require helmets and I thought they were against member clubs requiring them but I'm not 100% sure as it's not my type of riding.

UCI's rule only applies to racing, but BC and some of its clubs apply it far more widely, to charity rides and even social rides :sad:

Good to know, but would/have you asked BC to?
Havn't got the hang of splitting the quotes.

Firstly that is why i said TTs are a different kettle of fish helmets are not enforced.

Secondly that is down to the individual organiser on how they choose to run their event they do not have to run it in conjunction with BC for instance TTs however in that case consent fronm the police etc. comes into play.

If I went to BC it would have to be with the consent of the members I'm not sure I would be confident of getting that consent.

CaadX

Yeah, but that's in a racing club bubble, isn't it? BC and club rules explain most of that and I suspect fewer BC clubs care about not being able to just get on a bike and ride without donning strange clothes so it's much harder to challenge the entrenched helmet-pushers inside that bubble... but outside that, I'd say helmet-wearing is actually falling at the moment, at least where I'm cycling (mostly West Norfolk, Cambridge and London).
I don t want to get into another squabble, but I do ride a lot outside the 'club bubble' as well I have to young sons who we take riding on cycle paths mtb etc and the evidence I am seeing is not the same as you are.

CaadX

Both, I know plenty of ladies that don't and plenty that do.
Its interesting because 100% do and I'd say out of competition about 75% of the men do.

Why they do ? Because they are believers I suppose, much like christians believe god created man and woman. I think its called blind faith.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Lolcano_2c40de_1161451.gif

CaadX

I don't really want to go into the politics of BC god knows I've had enough of it over the years. It is tough to run an event of any size without them as they hold all the aces.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Its interesting because 100% do and I'd say out of competition about 75% of the men do.

Why they do ? Because they are believers I suppose, much like christians believe god created man and woman. I think its called blind faith.
In the club I helped found and run I'd say it's close to 100% for both men and women. We have no rules or advice about helmets. Neither are we a sporting club.
Oxfordshire I would say is relatively low in helmet wearing overall and that I think reflects the diverse cycling population and high utility usage. I also think there is a slight decline in helmet wearing overall as I think maybe the 'sportive' bubble is bursting and people are finding other kinds of cycling exist.

If I go on a 'Friday's' ride or a Yacf ride the percentage of helmet wearers drops significantly.

Top Bottom