The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm not sure I really understand the rhetoric that people spout about reading stuff on a forum over personal experience..
Well, I knew even as a newbie that I did not need a helmet. I'm far to cautious to fall off, call me a rubbish cyclist, but on cobbled canal blind bends I simply dismount. In a car crash, what is the helmet gonna help if it can't even sustain a drop from the handlebars? For ice, I've got spiked tyres.
Don't get me wrong, I did fall off about half dozen times in the last 5 years, but at my slow speed no great harm was done.
I started to wear the helmet because the LBS that sold me my first bike insisted.
I stopped soon after, reading the evidence on here.
If anything, I would rather wear elbow and knee protection.
On utilitarian cycling trips the helmet is a hindrance too, you never know where to leave it, carry it to the shops?
I had one stolen by leaving it 5 minutes!

Tim Hall

Interestingly (FSVO Interestingly), the Purbeck Police FB post linked to by Glen says "There is no doubt that the helmet saved his life", whilst the Coastguard one says "thankfully a cycle helmet probably saved his life."

I've had more offs when touring than on the road bike or when commuting .....strapping on 4 panniers and following NCN routes is a recipe for disaster for example. I can imagine its not that dissimilar down the canal south of Toulouse (I did the road route).I'm not sure I really understand the rhetoric that people spout about reading stuff on a forum over personal experience..

Because an informed decision involves looking at the literature, reading up on the facts, and then applying that to their personal experience

That is why someone might not wear a helmet when touring in the Summer, but will wear one when commuting and it is icy

They have every right to make that decision

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Helmet debates are just as big an issue in MTB circles. Most folk wear them for obvious rock, branch and tree interactions, but someone posted a UKGOV petition to make it illegal not to wear one any where . The thread ended up pulled in the end. Some folk had absolute conviction in a bit of polystyrene, even the full face ones. DH has to be the most dangerous part of cycle sport but the helmets won't stop a 60kmh crash into a rock or tree.

It was interesting to watch the bun fight. Just the same camps as with road cycling.

doog

They have every right to make that decision

Of course we do and I have never said otherwise ....I didnt wear one for my last month long tour for example

Why do people simply assume otherwise...is it because I question a few posters on here ? You wear a helmet under certain circumstances as do I...however you choose to ignore that fact or not highlight the reason for your helmet wearing on this thread.

If you put the same effort into the reasons for you wearing a helmet the whole thread might become slightly more balanced rather than an us and them scenario.

doog

On utilitarian cycling trips the helmet is a hindrance too, you never know where to leave it, carry it to the shops?
I had one stolen by leaving it 5 minutes!

Strap the helmet around the front fork/ spokes....it takes some neck for someone to try and un wind it if its in full view, also stops any one wheeling your bike away if you are in a shop for a minute or two.

Of course we do and I have never said otherwise ....I didnt wear one for my last month long tour for example

Why do people simply assume otherwise...is it because I question a few posters on here ? You wear a helmet under certain circumstances as do I...however you choose to ignore that fact or not highlight the reason for your helmet wearing on this thread.

If you put the same effort into the reasons for you wearing a helmet the whole thread might become slightly more balanced rather than an us and them scenario.

....or simply reply to what is posted

You asked a question, it was answered

swansonj

Guru
Helmet debates are just as big an issue in MTB circles. Most folk wear them for obvious rock, branch and tree interactions, but someone posted a UKGOV petition to make it illegal not to wear one any where . The thread ended up pulled in the end. Some folk had absolute conviction in a bit of polystyrene, even the full face ones. DH has to be the most dangerous part of cycle sport but the helmets won't stop a 60kmh crash into a rock or tree.

It was interesting to watch the bun fight. Just the same camps as with road cycling.
Is DH racing one type of cycling where it wouldn't be out of the question, if one decided one needed protection at all, to wear a better specced helmet, perhaps something like a horse riding helmet, with a much stronger outer shell?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've had more offs when touring than on the road bike or when commuting .....strapping on 4 panniers and following NCN routes is a recipe for disaster for example. I can imagine its not that dissimilar down the canal south of Toulouse (I did the road route).I'm not sure I really understand the rhetoric that people spout about reading stuff on a forum over personal experience..
increasing understanding of what the evidence says. It's called risk assessment, it's something I get paid to do in a different context, and it's something I wholeheartedly recommend.

Evidence always trumps anecdote. Personal experience is always anecdote.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Interestingly (FSVO Interestingly), the Purbeck Police FB post linked to by Glen says "There is no doubt that the helmet saved his life", whilst the Coastguard one says "thankfully a cycle helmet probably saved his life."
One bit of the Coastguard post ( their blog, I think) is absolute.

Top Bottom