The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Bad luck.

Without being patronising, if you haven't got the money the Premiership is a friggin' miserable hell hole to be in. Promotion from the Championship is a bit of a poisoned chalice for most clubs.

Spent about £40m in the summer - our problem is the current injury list ...

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

= 9
A Bruce Thigh Muscle Strain 21st Feb 15
J Chester Dislocated Shoulder no return date
R Brady Illness 24th Jan 15
A Hernandez Groin Strain 10th Feb 15
N Jelavic Knee Injury 10th Feb 15
L Rosenior Hamstring Injury Apr 15
A Robertson Ankle/Foot Injury 15th Feb 15
M Diame Knee Injury no return date
R Snodgrass Knee Injury May 15

Last edited:
Doesn't look good does it. Squad looking more than a little thin at the moment.

AndyRM

XOXO
If you take the media view of the 'traditional top four' being Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, then their last victory was a couple of seasons ago: a two goal victory at Anfield, though Liverpool went on to finish 7th that season.

AndyRM

XOXO
Interesting thought - what's the 'modern' top 4.

CFC + MCFC + Arsenal + ????

While Chelsea and Man City are still being bankrolled they've got to be there, and Arsenal's financial prudence (along with Wenger's intelligence) has kept them there for many seasons so those three make sense.

Fourth spot is a fight between Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool these days. West Ham and Southampton have shaken things up a bit this season, but I can't see their efforts being sustained.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Fourth spot is a fight between Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool these days. West Ham and Southampton have shaken things up a bit this season, but I can't see their efforts being sustained.

That would be the safe bet, but Southampton continue to surprise everyone. After being plundered, especially by Liverpool, at the end of last season most people expected them to struggle this season, but Koeman has worked wonders with them. If it isn't going to be my team spoiling the party then it would be great to see someone like Southampton (or West Ham) gatecrash the top 4. Unfortunately, money is everything now and even if Southampton do make it this season it won't be long before another (mega money) club lure Koeman away, leaving them needing to repeat the brilliance of their last 2 managerial appointments yet again and at the same time helping to perpetuate the dominance of the media darlings.

AndyRM

XOXO
That would be the safe bet, but Southampton continue to surprise everyone. After being plundered, especially by Liverpool, at the end of last season most people expected them to struggle this season, but Koeman has worked wonders with them. If it isn't going to be my team spoiling the party then it would be great to see someone like Southampton (or West Ham) gatecrash the top 4. Unfortunately, money is everything now and even if Southampton do make it this season it won't be long before another (mega money) club lure Koeman away, leaving them needing to repeat the brilliance of their last 2 managerial appointments yet again and at the same time helping to perpetuate the dominance of the media darlings.

Agreed. I expected Southampton to be pretty much relegated by now. Koeman is a genius and I hope he stays.

AndyRM

XOXO
When it comes to bankrolls LVG seems to be doing his best to buy Man utd. back into the 'top 4'. How much more is he going to spend in this transfer window?

He's not doing a very good job of it. Worst start to a Man Utd season since the 80s, level on points with Moyes after the same number of games, despite having spent a bushel of money on players who haven't done very well. Compared to the battering Moyes took at the hands of the media, Van Gaal gets a remarkably easy time of things.

U

User482

3-0 ^_^

Coming on top of the cup replay against Everton that rounds off a good week, ends the mini slump and consolidates a top half position. There's always the danger of the season of two halves, a good start then it all goes tits up from January on because key players are tired or injured.

The first half was like watching us last season... thankfully we got better and thankfully Hull can't shoot straight.

I tried and failed to get a ticket for Bristol City on Sunday. :sad:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
He's not doing a very good job of it. Worst start to a Man Utd season since the 80s, level on points with Moyes after the same number of games, despite having spent a bushel of money on players who haven't done very well. Compared to the battering Moyes took at the hands of the media, Van Gaal gets a remarkably easy time of things.
Surely that's because Moyes plateau'd at 'Just Not Good Enough' whereas VG started off catastrophic but has since improved dramatically. I'd be quite surprised if they didn't end the season as one of The Four - something I never felt while Moyes was in charge.

AndyRM

XOXO
Surely that's because Moyes plateau'd at 'Just Not Good Enough' whereas VG started off catastrophic but has since improved dramatically. I'd be quite surprised if they didn't end the season as one of The Four - something I never felt while Moyes was in charge.

It's difficult to compare the two to be honest. Would Moyes' side have improved had he been financially backed the way Van Gaal has? Does Van Gaal have the pressure of following one of the greatest managers of all time?

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Just about to leave the house, meet the lads in the pub for a couple of pre-match pints and then off to Goodison for what is likely to be a cold, dour exercise in getting past a Tony Pulis inspired omnibus. These games sometimes surprise us though so here's hoping - unless the surprise is the Baggies turning on the style....COYB!!!

Top Bottom