The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
He'll go to PSG or Bayern, he's done Portugal, England, Italy, Spain. He's a big loss IMO, who wants to look and listen to ugly buggers like Gary Monk and McClaren droning on about nothing much.
Maybe he's had his day? It happens to the most successful managers, Clough and Ramsey to name two that spring immediately to mind. There comes a time when your methods become stale and easy to deal with, after a certain age it's difficult to re-invent yourself.

U

User482

Maybe he's had his day? It happens to the most successful managers, Clough and Ramsey to name two that spring immediately to mind. There comes a time when your methods become stale and easy to deal with, after a certain age it's difficult to re-invent yourself.

There was a good article in the Guardian which argued that nearly all of the most successful managers have a peak period of 8 years or so - Fergie was very much the exception to the rule.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I know football managers lead a stressful life, but Mourinho looks to have aged alarmingly in the last few years. Personally I don't think he looks a well man, his face has become bloated and his eyes are dead.

Spoken without a shred of medical knowledge, of course. Just an observation.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know football managers lead a stressful life, but Mourinho looks to have aged alarmingly in the last few years. Personally I don't think he looks a well man, his face has become bloated and his eyes are dead.

Spoken without a shred of medical knowledge, of course. Just an observation.

He's been badly affected by his fathers ongoing problems* - he's a big figure in his life.

*Brain haemorrhage earlier this year and one or two strokes.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Me and son in law were discussing this sacking today @SpokeyDokey after our ride out..not been announced when we were chatting.
son in law is a big man u fan..he would love to see José at old Trafford..it wont happen but he has a hell of a good rep..and he will be at the top again

I would of loved to have him at Utd before LVG but not now. I don't think it's a loss to Chelsea the change was needed before the transfer window imo. I will be gutted if Pep goes there though i want him at Utd at the end of the season.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Chelsea have paid out over seventy million quid in compensation to managers they have sacked since Abramovich took the club over. That's without any settlement Mourinho will get.
And he's worth £7bn at least (possibly less I haven't looked it up) so it's 0.1% of his net worth. I doubt he cares and his wage bill must be far higher. It's RA's toy, he's not in it as a business.

SpokeyDokey

Chelsea have paid out over seventy million quid in compensation to managers they have sacked since Abramovich took the club over. That's without any settlement Mourinho will get.

A big number in the 'real' world but not in the insane world of football.

That's about 3 months of Chelsea's current annual turnover or well under half of our current annual wages bill - and the £70m is an accrual over a dozen years or so.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If Roman ran the rest of his businesses like he does Chelsea (putting aside the highly dubious way he made most of his fortune), he wouldn't be a billionaire, he'd barely be deemed an oligarch. He's a particularly wealthy version of those with more money than sense as seen on TV programmes like 'The Auction House' or 'World's Most Expensive...'. Agents and other clubs have seen him coming, time and again. All those severance payments. Di Matteo and Ancelotti both got the sack within months of successful seasons. Money blown on Shevchenko and Torres when they were past their prime, others sold on after languishing as second or third choices only to flourish (Lukaku). One expensive short-term fix after another, time and time again, and he just doesn't get it. Chelsea in his hands is like an expensive trainset given to a petulant five year-old. Many armchair fans have delusions of grandeur (regarding both their own footballing expertise and their expectations of the club), but they don't own their clubs. Guardiola is (many think) highly unlikely to take up a job offer, not least because he didn't like Chelsea's approaches during his sabbatical- either Manchester club would seem more likely to me. Carlo might take up the offer, but if I were him I'd make sure the severance package is very generous.....

U

User482

If Roman ran the rest of his businesses like he does Chelsea (putting aside the highly dubious way he made most of his fortune), he wouldn't be a billionaire, he'd barely be deemed an oligarch. He's a particularly wealthy version of those with more money than sense as seen on TV programmes like 'The Auction House' or 'World's Most Expensive...'. Agents and other clubs have seen him coming, time and again. All those severance payments. Di Matteo and Ancelotti both got the sack within months of successful seasons. Money blown on Shevchenko and Torres when they were past their prime, others sold on after languishing as second or third choices only to flourish (Lukaku). One expensive short-term fix after another, time and time again, and he just doesn't get it. Chelsea in his hands is like an expensive trainset given to a petulant five year-old. Many armchair fans have delusions of grandeur (regarding both their own footballing expertise and their expectations of the club), but they don't own their clubs. Guardiola is (many think) highly unlikely to take up a job offer, not least because he didn't like Chelsea's approaches during his sabbatical- either Manchester club would seem more likely to me. Carlo might take up the offer, but if I were him I'd make sure the severance package is very generous.....

But he doesn't have to: as someone else pointed out uphtrea, the cost to him of running Chelsea is pocket change. Given the club's success during his tenure, there's an argument that his "hiring and firing" policy is the right one. I don't care for it, but they have a trophy cabinet that says I'm wrong.

SpokeyDokey

Hiring and firing appears to work.

Including the incumbent at the turn of the millennium as well as the current:

Athletico Madrid x 16

Chelsea x 13 (JM twice).

Real Madrid x 13

Barcelona x 11

Bayern Munich x 9

That's the top 5 teams as ranked by by EUEFA based on their last 5 years performance in Europe.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

SpokeyDokey

its daft..manager shelf life...

I'm non-plussed about it. It certainly doesn't harm the on-pitch achievements of top European teams.

There are arguments that favour the dynastic approach but, aside from SAF and his mega-haul of trophies, it's hard to put up a good case. Wenger has gone the distance but Arsenal have hardly garnered much silverware over the last decade or so.

Top Bottom