The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Allardyce Must be the most successful manager ever, in making more money being crap than being good.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Makes me really pissed off, thought we were a bit different seems though money talks and Premiership survival at any cost including playing Football.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
No, that accolade goes to Mr R Tinkler at Elland Road 17th April 1971.
Tony Brown was in his own half when he won the ball, by at least five yards.

Colin Sugett was offside at that point, but he wasn't on the ball and it went nowhere near him. When Jeff Astle got it, in order to tuck it away, he wasn't offside.

The linesman put his flag up as Brown got the ball, but the linesman was correctly overruled by Mr. Tinkler. The Leeds players all stuck their hands up and stopped playing at the sight of the flag. This is known as a "schoolboy error".

Knowing what we now know about the Leeds United of the late 60's and early 70's, it's entirely possible that the linesman had been furnished with a buff envelope before the kickoff containing some "holiday money", but the club had not extended the same courtesy to Mr. Tinkler.

Last edited:

Dec66

I once saw Mr. Pardew having lunch with a lady of a certain age in Pizza Express in West Wickham. The lady in question was not Mrs. Pardew.

However, I'm prepared to believe that it was a purely innocent Iiaison, despite his form for that kind of thing, as (1) Pizza Express in West Wickham is hardly the most impressive or discreet place for a millionaire football manager to take a would-be concubine, and (2) she seemed more interested in me than him, given the looks she was shooting me.

I did look rather "buff" that day, if I say so myself ^_^

MarkF

Guru
No, that accolade goes to Mr R Tinkler at Elland Road 17th April 1971.

The worst I've ever seen was the CL semi final of 4 years ago, Dortmund v Malaga. Clock ticking to 90 minutes, Malaga 2-1 up and one foot in the final, Dortmund needed to score twice in added time..............and did so. The winner had at least 3, possibly 4, Dortmund players well offside! I was watching and couldn't believe the goal was given. I'll never believe that the game wasn't fixed.

Dec66

The worst I've ever seen was the CL semi final of 4 years ago, Dortmund v Malaga. Clock ticking to 90 minutes, Malaga 2-1 up and one foot in the final, Dortmund needed to score twice in added time..............and did so. The winner had at least 3, possibly 4, Dortmund players well offside! I was watching and couldn't believe the goal was given. I'll never believe that the game wasn't fixed.
"Dirty" Leeds had form for that sort of thing, which was exposed by (among others) Gary Sprake, many years later.

It's a shame, because they had some outrageously gifted players, who subverted their gift and just became filthy. I mean, at the time, every team had some dirty buggers (Tommy Smith and Ron Yeats at Liverpool, Johnny Morrissey at Everton, Paddy Crerand and Nobby Stiles at Man United, Dave Mackay at Spurs, Peter Storey at Arsenal, Chopper Harris at Chelsea, etc.)... But Leeds had an entire team of them.

It comes to something when Jack Charlton is your least filthy player.

That, in itself, you can kind of write off, saying "well, why couldn't every team be like that?". Factor in the bunging, and it takes on a whole new aspect.

The ultimate irony is that when Leeds reached the European Cup Final in 1975, up against Bayern Munich, they lost. Courtesy of a bent referee.

MarkF

Guru
The ultimate irony is that when Leeds reached the European Cup Final in 1975, up against Bayern Munich, they lost. Courtesy of a bent referee.

Talking of which, I was there...........my late father & uncle, both Leeds nuts took me (Bradford City) to Paris. I remember it vividly, I was well happy at the end and my dad clouted me, most of the return journey was in silence..............I still have both programmes, worth over £100 now.

Top Bottom