The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They were on about the FA Cup on the radio before yesterday's games,saying how they can't remember cup winners and finalists,apart from Wigan, Millwall and Aston Villa and Newcastle, in the last 20 years, as it's always the same teams in the final. I can remember up to about 1991 and then it becomes a haze of Man Utd,Arsenal,and Chelsea.:tired:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

I've looked. The only time Crystal Palace is mentioned is for the venue and the losers.;)

AndyRM

XOXO
Can't agree there @AndyRM - the 'boner' in the heavily weighted ex-LFC punditry teams within Sky, the Beeb & BT is always for 'The History' club.

They are positively orgasmic when discussing yet another momentous night at Anfield and you'd think some of the players could walk on water whilst solving the entire world's problems.

Christ knows how they have got a toe hold into the punditry money trough but it is almost like a LFC closed shop.

I should have said Liverpool were the exception. Probably because I thought that was dying down a bit too after they made a bollocks of winning something for the first time in ages, but then an excitable manager came along and the love fest ramped up again. Very, very tedious.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I should have said Liverpool were the exception. Probably because I thought that was dying down a bit too after they made a bollocks of winning something for the first time in ages, but then an excitable manager came along and the love fest ramped up again. Very, very tedious.
Ahh, never won anything?

ozboz

Guru
Ive just been watching some clips from early FA Cup Finals , one in particular stands out to me , 1956, City v Bitmingham , famous for Bert and his broken neck , the scorer of Citys 2nd was a lad called Jack Dyson , born in Oldham , after his time at City he went on to be a 1st Class Cricketer with Lancashire and did very well , I used to live about 1/4 mile away from him in the mid 70's , but never knew who he was ,

He isn't the only one to play both cricket and football at that level. Dennis Compton springs to mind as well - Middlesex CCC & Arsenal. Represented England at both sports too, and won up two League titles and one FA Cup with the Gunners.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
He isn't the only one to play both cricket and football at that level. Dennis Compton springs to mind as well - Middlesex CCC & Arsenal. Represented England at both sports too, and won up two League titles and one FA Cup with the Gunners.
In 1964 West Ham goalkeeper Jim Standen won an FA Cup winners medal and was also part of the Worcester side that won the County Cricket Championship.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg
Also Viv Richards , and he Boxed as well , all Great Sportsmen ,
But Jack was an unknown really , he lived the last of his days in a council flat on Fitton Hill Council Est, Oldham . He once opened against Leicestershire with a bloke called Wharton, Lancashire won without losing a Wicket !!

Top Bottom