The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Either brave, stupid or arrogant. I'd say that Klopp misjudged this one unless LFC aren't interested in the FA Cup this season - in which case they should've done a MUFC and not competed at all.

With LFC prime contenders in the race for the PL title another game can easily cost a few points as we all know.

CFC have taken a lot of flack re fixture decongestion (!) as though it's our fault that the Xmas fixture list favoured us. I think some of these managers need to grow up a bit. Top teams with big squads ought to be able to take these things in their stride. If a squad is really good they should be able to fire on 3-4 fronts at the same time - I'm not saying it is easy but that's the nature of the beast if you either are, or have ambitions to be, a top European side.

When fans whinge about these things I generally refer them to the absolutely amazing 1999 MUFC squad and their 'treble' - despite them not being my team I'd rate that as the best ever season by any modern day UK team ever.
A loss would probably have been better. We could then shake our heads sagely and say "the kids did their best". Now he is between a rock and a hard place: play the kids again with little senior back up or throw the first team in. We'll see. I imagine it depends on this week, a comfortable win in the EFL cup will ease things

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
LFC cannae win anything. Full. Stop.
Would you and @AndyRM stop tempting fate please. The media lovefest when LFC win a throw in is bad enough, silverware going their way will be unbearable.

I suppose I should also play fair and point out that Everton plummed new depths on Saturday by going out in the 3rd round at home, but depriving themselves of the "weakened team" excuse by playing a more or less full strength side. We were the better team (albeit in a poor game) until we scored, then did the usual panic stricken implosion when Leicester reacted.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Would you and @AndyRM stop tempting fate please. The media lovefest when LFC win a throw in is bad enough, silverware going their way will be unbearable.

I suppose I should also play fair and point out that Everton plummed new depths on Saturday by going out in the 3rd round at home, but depriving themselves of the "weakened team" excuse by playing a more or less full strength side. We were the better team (albeit in a poor game) until we scored, then did the usual panic stricken implosion when Leicester reacted.

I was a bit upset that Everton let Leicester win as I didn't want them on a roll for their next Premier League match! ^_^

Tis ok, they had a good 15 years from mid-70s to early 90s. And a couple of lucky years since.

MarkF

Guru
For a while it looked like we were going to concentrate on the league. Great second half keeps the momentum going and still challenging on two fronts. Come on you Leeds ^_^

Are you spending this Jan now the (half) takeover is done? Funny soundbites coming out of Valley Parade, I think Ched Evans is going to pitch up. :eek:

I actually don't like to see Leeds doing badly, but am getting a bit worried they might do well, I don't like that either. :blink:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Does anyone really care about the FA Cup that much any more? It's turned into a second rate competition, on a par with the League Cup of the sixties and seventies. In it's heyday no manager would dream of fielding anything less than his strongest side, now the first three rounds are little more than reserve matches. And going by crowd sizes many fans feel the same.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Are you spending this Jan now the (half) takeover is done? Funny soundbites coming out of Valley Parade, I think Ched Evans is going to pitch up. :eek:

I actually don't like to see Leeds doing badly, but am getting a bit worried they might do well, I don't like that either. :blink:

Hopefully we will invest and make a serious bid for promotion but to be honest I'm just glad we aren't having to look at a relegation fight.

I have a soft spot for all Yorkshire clubs apart from Hull.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Does anyone really care about the FA Cup that much any more? It's turned into a second rate competition, on a par with the League Cup of the sixties and seventies. In it's heyday no manager would dream of fielding anything less than his strongest side, now the first three rounds are little more than reserve matches. And going by crowd sizes many fans feel the same.

FA Cup is brilliant until you get knocked out. Without it we wouldn't have great moments like this:

Roadhump

It isn't what it was. I remember as a lad (in the 70s) the FA Cup was really special and final day was something to look forward to, and regardless of who was playing we would watch the telly all day to see the build up and then the match, and then they would have highlights of the Scottish final afterwards.

I don't think it is as bad as you suggest though, even though many clubs put out weakened sides, it is still one of only 3 available domestic trophies (unless you count the titles of leagues below the Premiership, and things like the FA Vase if they still have it?). Fans still want to win it and probably put more importance on it than the clubs themselves, certainly the big clubs, but that is IMO the result of clubs chasing the big money, which only comes via high league placings and CL qualification.

Having said all that, it is still usually one of the megarich clubs that wins it despite fielding weakened sides in many rounds.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The FA Cup was massive because the final was one of only a handful of matches shown live on TV, and the only one where you could watch two English league sides. We've now got more live games in one week than we had in a whole season before Sky came along so the cup has lost much of it's status. I only take an interest now if West Ham reach the sixth round, as for the final I'll watch if I've nothing better to do (Hammers appearances excepted). Other than that it is just an interruption to the league program.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
upload_2017-1-10_17-26-22.png

Everyone jealous?

Roadhump

The FA Cup was massive because the final was one of only a handful of matches shown live on TV, and the only one where you could watch two English league sides. We've now got more live games in one week than we had in a whole season before Sky came along so the cup has lost much of it's status. I only take an interest now if West Ham reach the sixth round, as for the final I'll watch if I've nothing better to do (Hammers appearances excepted). Other than that it is just an interruption to the league program.

Good point about live TV games, which I hadn't thought of.

For many years, the group of mates who I go to watch Everton with have an end of season day out in town on FA Cup final day. Several other mates who support Liverpool also join us as well as a City fan and a Villa fan - unless Everton happen to be in the final in which case we go to Wembley, but that hasn't happened since 2009. We dish out prizes for our prediction competition, which usually consist of large alcoholic drinks, have a meal and get very drunk, so cup final day, for us at least, is still a big day, but I know that doesn't mean it is important to others.

I don't think the football powers that be (and TV companies again) have helped either by making it a 5 o'clock kick off in recent years. I don't know why they did that, but I think it has been another decision that makes the game that used to be an annual national showpiece, traditionally kicking off at 3.00 pm, appear a bit less important again.....plus, whereas on our end of season day out we used to be able to eat around 6.00, we now have to wait until about 8.00, it is just so inconsiderate :cursing:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To revitalize the FA Cup and make the League Cup more relevant to all sides a real incentive needs to be offered. I would favour automatic qualification into the Champion's League for the winners of both competitions. Ok, so the third and fourth placed league finishers would lose out, but why should they go anyway? They're champions of nothing, they're just 3rd and 4th best losers.

Top Bottom