The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
To revitalize the FA Cup and make the League Cup more relevant to all sides a real incentive needs to be offered. I would favour automatic qualification into the Champion's League for the winners of both competitions. Ok, so the third and fourth placed league finishers would lose out, but why should they go anyway? They're champions of nothing, they're just 3rd and 4th best losers.
erm... 3rd and 4th placed league finishers would be 2nd and 3rd best losers. :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
erm... 3rd and 4th placed league finishers would be 2nd and 3rd best losers. :smile:
I bow to your pedantry :blush:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Does anyone really care about the FA Cup that much any more? It's turned into a second rate competition, on a par with the League Cup of the sixties and seventies. In it's heyday no manager would dream of fielding anything less than his strongest side, now the first three rounds are little more than reserve matches. And going by crowd sizes many fans feel the same.
It's still a big thing for small clubs like Accrington,but if i was a fan of a "big" club i wouldn't get excited over it. Even then,i've lost a bit of interest in it after the disappointing draw we got for the next round. Once Accrington and Blackburn go out my interest in the FA Cup will be over for another season.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good point about live TV games, which I hadn't thought of.

For many years, the group of mates who I go to watch Everton with have an end of season day out in town on FA Cup final day. Several other mates who support Liverpool also join us as well as a City fan and a Villa fan - unless Everton happen to be in the final in which case we go to Wembley, but that hasn't happened since 2009. We dish out prizes for our prediction competition, which usually consist of large alcoholic drinks, have a meal and get very drunk, so cup final day, for us at least, is still a big day, but I know that doesn't mean it is important to others.

I don't think the football powers that be (and TV companies again) have helped either by making it a 5 o'clock kick off in recent years. I don't know why they did that, but I think it has been another decision that makes the game that used to be an annual national showpiece, traditionally kicking off at 3.00 pm, appear a bit less important again.....plus, whereas on our end of season day out we used to be able to eat around 6.00, we now have to wait until about 8.00, it is just so inconsiderate :cursing:

You need a 'Half-Time Pie' - we never miss a Chelsea match and always have a pie during the break; just like at a proper match. Normally a Pukka although Aldi do a nice Steak & Claret. Lovely!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
@Roadhump Schneiderlin for 22 million good bit of business in today's crazy money terms. Hope he does well there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ma...-news-schneiderlin-12434700.amp?client=safari

Some good news for a change, but another EFC acquisition that has been typically drawn out and difficult to conclude. There is a lot of discontent about the lack of transfer activity to boost a rapidly ageing squad, and even rumours that Koeman is at odds with the board over their dithering and penny pinching, not sure if it's true, but hopefully Schneiderlin's arrival will enable Gareth Barry to spend more time on a few Saga holidays now.

Oxo

Guru
BBC have just announced the sad death of Graham Taylor.
He was a good man.
Turnip Taylor, he was ahead of his time when you consider some recent England players and teams.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
From council according to news, Mayor still has to agree. Ugly looking plan from what they showed on the news!

Yes he has to agree although he'd be hard pressed going against the planners as the project meets all technical requirements.

I think the stadium looks fantastic but then I'm a lover of brutalist architecture. Local resident survey of the design achieved over 70% positive approval.

To me it looks like it will blend in better with the surrounding brickwork than some arty-farty ultra-modern contraption.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
5885949.jpg

RIP GT :sad:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
RIP Graham. Met him on the British Legion Pedal to Paris back in 2010 (he raised £5000!). Nice guy who didn't deserve all the criticism (and worse).

Top Bottom