The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's good to have a signature lacing pattern.

20240219_112752.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran
I use that method, but I've not done it meeting in the middle, just that style to the top. is it not a pain to slacken them off enough to get your foot in?

Not really and it's really more comfortable. I think.
Well I have to think that because I went to the trouble of setting them up that way.
And I use it on "yard boots" that have a zip up the back.
What every gentleman horseman needs and wears.

dicko

Guru
Whatever happened to Drip Dry shirts? When I was in Merchant Marine they were lifesavers just hang them up in my cabin and dry in minutes with no ironing.

winjim

Smash the cistern

Could get something made to measure for that price. If you can find a tailor that is, I noticed that the one who made my wedding suit and who has been around for decades has closed down recently. Unsurprising given modern trends and the part of town they were in isn't exactly the place for formal dress any more.

Whatever happened to Drip Dry shirts? When I was in Merchant Marine they were lifesavers just hang them up in my cabin and dry in minutes with no ironing.

Nothing gets ironed in our house and we seem to get away with it. I can't say I ever feel particularly wrinkled. I probably would for a wedding or a funeral but for everyday wear just hanging things up is fine.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Could get something made to measure for that price. If you can find a tailor that is, I noticed that the one who made my wedding suit and who has been around for decades has closed down recently. Unsurprising given modern trends and the part of town they were in isn't exactly the place for formal dress any more.

As you say, its finding one and finding a decent reliable one at that! There used to be one in nearby Blackburn, but he's not online now, so maybe he's given up. Then there's the fitting, the month long wait, the hassle if it doesn't fit as well as you expected, so you try to get a part if not full refund, the uncertainty if they are genuine and will actually make your part pre-paid upfront suit etc etc. With someone like Cordings, if like me you've bought many items off them you'll have peace of mind that the cloth will be first class, the item will reach you in a few days, not months, you can send unaltered items back, you can see the finished item, albeit it online etc.
https://www.google.com/search?q=men's+made+to+measure+suits+near+me&rlz=1CAEAQE_enGB946&oq=mens+mad

Plus, if you've bought off Cordings before then whatever the item, similar items will have the exact same fit as other's you've bought in that size. For example, that dark brown suit I bought off them the other week fits me almost perfectly, and the 'almost' is due to slight post operation, upper body deformities, not any fault on their behalf. Yes, maybe a made to measure suit would cover such things up, but then maybe not. If I bought the blue suit I mentioned in the same size as the dark brown one, I'd know that it'd fit me in exactly the same way as the dark brown one.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One for @Accy cyclist, I discovered by a quick discount code google that TWENTYOFF will work at one of your fave's, Brook Taverner, which tipped me into ordering a Harris Tweed jacket and some shirts from their clearance sale.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just picked up a jacket from the menders having had a small hand-stitched repair. Seamstress hadn't given me a number as it was such a minor job so I found myself trying to explain to her which one it was. English isn't her first language and the only way I could think of to describe it was 'it was just a quick hand job'. Caught myself just in time...

Top Bottom