The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Harris tweed is quite a loose weave so not particularly strong compared to say Donegal tweed, sometimes marketed as "thornproof". However an old pal was a scientific officer with the Water Board, and for his role checking up on farmers he needed to look smart-ish but a suit was too city-boy. Harris tweed like a country vet gave him the right gravitas and authority. Anyhow, someone had had a carboy of battery acid leak in the van and it had gone all over his new tweed jacket, and nylon lining completely melted. He swilled it in water and his mum made a new lining and the tweed itself was just fine

I'm not planning to run through a thorn hedge or bath in battery acid. :okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Very pleased with my purchase, as expected the Harris Tweed is quite course, but then the sheep on the Hebrides face some pretty rough weather. Its supposed to be very hard wearing so may well outlast me. The lining is quite cool, with a maps of the Hebrides outlined in it. also has some nice touches in the details.

I bought a course wool Harris Tweed jacket and my 'famous' stripey blazer from Brooke Taverner the other year. Both items are well made and fit me well, especially in the usually problematic are length department.

Dag Hammar

I bought a course wool Harris Tweed jacket and my 'famous' stripey blazer from Brooke Taverner the other year. Both items are well made and fit me well, especially in the usually problematic are length department.

Sorry Accy cyclist but I cannot bite my lip and remain silent any longer. A few weeks ago you referred to your navel but spelled the word ‘naval’. I let that one pass. Today I am confronted with ‘course’ which should have been ‘coarse’.
I follow your ventures in the fashion world with great interest and I only wish I had the same amount of cash to spend on clothing and correspondingly, the wardrobe space. 👍

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry Accy cyclist but I cannot bite my lip and remain silent any longer. A few weeks ago you referred to your navel but spelled the word ‘naval’. I let that one pass. Today I am confronted with ‘course’ which should have been ‘coarse’.
I follow your ventures in the fashion world with great interest and I only wish I had the same amount of cash to spend on clothing and correspondingly, the wardrobe space. 👍

To quote Captain Mainwaring.........

yGDZYGv1y1zumLWYtQxZqLIC7HK8kIegd8Tt5IXrP4gXNoDg&s.jpg

"Well spotted that man.
I wondered how long it would take someone to spot my deliberate mistake". :whistle:

As for cash and wardrobe space. Yes, I have a decent income and see little point in saving lots of money for someone else to spend when I'm gone and my wardrobes are full, meaning many of my clothes are on hangers, hanging off door handles, albeit in a neat and tidy way. :okay:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
To quote Captain Mainwaring.........

View attachment 722906

"Well spotted that man.
I wondered how long it would take someone to spot my deliberate mistake". :whistle:

As for cash and wardrobe space. Yes, I have a decent income and see little point in saving lots of money for someone else to spend when I'm gone and my wardrobes are full, meaning many of my clothes are on hangers, hanging off door handles, albeit in a neat and tidy way. :okay:

When I say my wardrobes are full, I forgot to add with stuff I could do with chucking out, not just stuff I wear a lot. In fact I'd say about a third of my clothes are hardly if ever worn. I need someone to help get shut of them mentally as well as physically as I'm a bit of a hoarder and have a big problem parting with non worn clothes. I'd say I keep most for sentimental value, like the three 1980's shirts I've owned for 40 years and the many football shirts from the 1990's, early 2000's. I suppose I could sell most on fleabay, but I don't want the hassle and all I'd do with the money is er, buy more clothes! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Re: the football shirts, you could get in touch with somewhere like Football Shirt Collective. Some shirts from that era can go for daft money, and a reseller like them would probably be able to help out.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Re: the football shirts, you could get in touch with somewhere like Football Shirt Collective. Some shirts from that era can go for daft money, and a reseller like them would probably be able to help out.
I have a friend who has his own pre-owned football shirt business. He says he makes around £4000 a month. Whether that's pure profit or what he takes in I don't know. I've offered him shirts he says he'd ask £50 for, offering them to him for around £20 each, but he never offers to buy shirts off me, even when I've asked just a few quid for one. I think he buys in bulk off league clubs, buying last year's stuff, then selling each item for a fair profit. I know he bought a load of Burnley training kits and sold them on his website. Anyway, as I said previously, If I sold my football shirts I'd only end up spending the money on more clothes!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wore my newly bought Cordings suit in the retro clothing shop I work in yesterday. I drove there with all the pockets (and button hole) still stitched up, plus with the tags on, in case the shop's owner said it didn't look quite right. I was pleased to hear him say it fitted perfectly and the quality was quote...wonderful. I value his opinion as he's worked all over for many years in the clothes industry.

Vd6QKaUBuIu1CClhmwLd0nSxtE&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
I wore my newly bought Cordings suit in the retro clothing shop I work in yesterday. I drove there with all the pockets (and button hole) still stitched up, plus with the tags on, in case the shop's owner said it didn't look quite right. I was pleased to hear him say it fitted perfectly and the quality was quote...wonderful. I value his opinion as he's worked all over for many years in the clothes industry.

View attachment 723018

I know a gentleman should remove his hat indoors, but as a shop is a public space does the same exemption that applies to certain public spaces apply here as well?

I can't imagine a chap such as yourself getting it wrong. 😊

deuxfois

I know a gentleman should remove his hat indoors, but as a shop is a public space does the same exemption that applies to certain public spaces apply here as well?

I guess it's more about going incognito than conforming to convention.

Scallywags preserve their anonymity behind a hoodie. Accy cyclist goes for more stylish headgear.

grldtnr

If I am wearing a hat, I invariably remove it, regardless of where I am ,although I have say , I don't as yet own a stylish tifter, tho ' aspire to., I wear a motely collection of headwear, from beanies, through to a very practical pith helmet ( don't larf ! It shades me, offers a degree of protection, for example fends of umbrellas on Rainey days, keeps me cool if it's soaked in water first)
My poshest hat is a Donegal tweed 'Irish touring cap' as worn by John Wayne in the 'Quiet Man', like him I believe in walking tall, and carrying a big stick.

Top Bottom