The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Here are the navy blue Maudsley Oxfords I bought last Monday. I polished them with some neutral polish, but I think they came up far better when I bought some Timpson navy restoration polish.

nc_ohc=xA99jf5rcXEAX-Yev5d&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=WfT4kUUh3vIAX_XTy1_&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=YZ8PMqxoHC0AX-bUYHM&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

I paid £235 for the navy blue ones and the light tan/green suede spectator shoes further down, both in the sale. They also gave me 2 pairs of laces for free.

nc_ohc=SSrNswodI_UAX9svg-P&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=zSQJJnbjkTYAX95W9Hk&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=q8GMwvUJtg8AX_kgl-u&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=Xorj60K3uPQAX_O9wd0&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=fguMJXT6D0wAX8gbkDB&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=tzmF-aEe-boAX9ys50Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=flHKoE7Du2IAX9av4oz&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

I've just covered them in the restoration high colour pigment polish again. I'll leave it for a few hours then buff them up. 3 or 4 polish applications should bring them up to an almost mirror shine. I'll start on the light tan spectator shoes soon, using a neutral polish rather than a light tan one as I want to keep them that light tan shade. If I use light tan polish from past experiences it'll make the shoes mid tan, which I don't want as I have many mid/dark tan shoes/boots, but non the shade of the spectator shoes.

I've worn the navy Oxfords now for a week, on and off and I haven't had a single breaking in problem, unlike the month of agony a new pair of Loakes would give me.

nc_ohc=bJ5NSDikfowAX-dCjOX&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Not great photos, but you can see the little hole in my ankle a pair of Hyde Loake boots caused while breaking them in 4 years ago!!

nc_ohc=Zd_hZHkciAYAX-djdkE&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=LE9DpOvs8P8AX943e7g&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Those all look very nice but sadly for me well over-budget. On account of being skint / fattening / not entirely sure of what I want I'm still relegating most of my clothing choices to used / NOS items from ebay.. although I'm definitely cultivating a fetish for linen :smile:
I might buy it yet, but I already have a pair of Cordings camel moleskin pants I've had for a few months and not even tried on yet, though I do know they'll fit as I have the same pants in the same size, but in red. If I buy that Cordings olive linen suit it'll most likely make that light grey Next suit I've only had a year and worn just a few times redundant. I'm not going to buy it just yet as I'm not 100 percent certain I want it. Yes, I want it because I like it, but do I want another clothing item is more the question and the answer to that is a definite no!!:rolleyes:

If you @wafter, or anyone else for that matter were to buy that Cordings linen suit would you buy the olive or the sand one? I like the sand one, but isn't it a bit 'The man from Del Monte'?

It's nice, bit I think I'd be worried all the time while wearing it about getting marks on it, whereas the olive one wouldn't show slight marks up like the sand one would. 🤔

I did think about the royal blue one, but I think it's a bit summer wedding(ish) or maybe looks a bit like a uniform suit, like something out of Butlins or Pontins maybe. :whistle:

jk734-blury-loc-4_1.jpg

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
I might buy it yet, but I already have a pair of Cordings camel moleskin pants I've had for a few months and not even tried on yet, though I do know they'll fit as I have the same pants in the same size, but in red. If I buy that Cordings olive linen suit it'll most likely make that light grey Next suit I've only had a year and worn just a few times redundant. I'm not going to buy it just yet as I'm not 100 percent certain I want it. Yes, I want it because I like it, but do I want another clothing item is more the question and the answer to that is a definite no!!:rolleyes:

If you @wafter, or anyone else for that matter were to buy that Cordings linen suit would you buy the olive or the sand one? I like the sand one, but isn't it a bit 'The man from Delmonte'?

It's nice, bit I think I'd be worried all the time while wearing it about getting marks on it, whereas the olive one wouldn't show slight marks up like the sand one would. 🤔

I did think about the royal blue one, but I think it's a bit summer wedding(ish) or maybe looks a bit like a uniform suit, like something out of Butlins or Pontins maybe. :whistle:

View attachment 724048

Well you know what the man from Delmonte said.

grldtnr

PS, don't go 'dissing' LANX shoes folks, they are decent shoes ok!!!:okay:

If I am spending that much on shoes. I'd do it proper, Loakes for me all the way.
I was disappointed with a pr of 'officer' boots once, I was wearing them daily on my 'postie' round, they did require a fair bit of maintenance, but soleing & heeling, but eventually it was too much for the uppers, , should have bought 'ammo' boots !!

grldtnr

That's not a beard, Accy. That's just a scruffy oik that couldn't be arrissed to shave for three days.

I fancy 'waxing' my moustache, although I do wear a full set, have done for 20 odd years or more, used to clean it off at Easter, but shaving at stoopid o'clock in the morning before my shift was just too much hassle, besides kept the chill off the chin!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If I am spending that much on shoes. I'd do it proper, Loakes for me all the way.
I was disappointed with a pr of 'officer' boots once, I was wearing them daily on my 'postie' round, they did require a fair bit of maintenance, but soleing & heeling, but eventually it was too much for the uppers, , should have bought 'ammo' boots !!

The LANX shoes worked out at £117.50 a pair You couldn't buy Loake shoes or boots for that. Besides, I wanted a pair of navy blue shoes and as far as I know Loake only do the usual brown, tan, black colours, nor do they make spectator shoes. Loake are ok, but they aren't very adventurous.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member

If you @wafter, or anyone else for that matter were to buy that Cordings linen suit would you buy the olive or the sand one? I like the sand one, but isn't it a bit 'The man from Delmonte'?

View attachment 724048

You really don't want a blue suit!

trigger.jpg

Top Bottom