The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've decided to join. I've done 4 metric centuries so far this month alone -- but the one prior to that was last May so decided I need to do better! Will get myself organised.
Do the revised rules allow for joining mid-year? Or do I need to wait til January before I can start recording/posting? Obviously I will be doing my best to get the kilometer-age in, regardless of whether it counts or not. ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've decided to join. I've done 4 metric centuries so far this month alone -- but the one prior to that was last May so decided I need to do better! Will get myself organised.
Do the revised rules allow for joining mid-year? Or do I need to wait til January before I can start recording/posting? Obviously I will be doing my best to get the kilometer-age in, regardless of whether it counts or not. ;)
:welcome:
Join away! If you miss a month then you'll need to wait until Jan to join again tho.

:welcome:
Join away! If you miss a month then you'll need to wait until Jan to join again tho.
:smile: Presumably, you miss a month (any month) and you have to start all over again, right? Otherwise, it's not a 12 month challenge...

ETA: I think I've found what I hope is the latest reiteration of the rules (starting with your msg#422 @Dogtrousers). In which case, I will start logging now but of course be aiming to complete Jan-Dec to qualify for *shiny* silver star. :dance:

Edited AGAIN to add: I can't include any past rides, right? It all kicks off TODAY? :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:smile: Presumably, you miss a month (any month) and you have to start all over again, right? Otherwise, it's not a 12 month challenge...
Purists declare that it is Jan to Dec, full stop!

These challenges are supposed to be fun and an encouragement to do longer rides. I can't see how fun or motivation would be be increased by being told in February that you had to wait until the following January for your rides to count!

Clearly though, being able to skip months in the middle of a challenge year would make a complete mockery of it, so I say start when you like and go for 12 consecutive months, restarting if you miss a ride(s) mid-challenge.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Purists declare that it is Jan to Dec, full stop!

These challenges are supposed to be fun and an encouragement to do longer rides. I can't see how fun or motivation would be be increased by being told in February that you had to wait until the following January for your rides to count!

Clearly though, being able to skip months in the middle of a challenge year would make a complete mockery of it, so I say start when you like and go for 12 consecutive months, restarting if you miss a ride(s) mid-challenge.
Yup, agree on the above points. I think these are the de-facto rulez.

Often people will reach a peak of riding mid-late in the year, so it's nice to be able to join in a monthly challenge then, to be able to take a running start at the calendar year challenge next year.

But if you miss a month, then you are out for the rest of the calendar year (otherwise there'd be no incentive to keep logging if you could just take a month off)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Edited AGAIN to add: I can't include any past rides, right? It all kicks off TODAY? :smile:
Hmmm. Not sure. I don't know what the rules (de facto or otherwise) are on this.

There is a rule in the original thread somewhere that says you have to nominate your participation ahead of time. That seems a bit over-strict to me. I don't see why you shouldn't log your most recent ride (esp as we were on the same ride and I have logged my participation!).

However, I'd be a bit miffed if, say, Steve Abraham turned up and dumped in his personal backlog of 100k rides.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmmm. Not sure. I don't know what the rules (de facto or otherwise) are on this.

There is a rule in the original thread somewhere that says you have to nominate your participation ahead of time. That seems a bit over-strict to me. I don't see why you shouldn't log your most recent ride (esp as we were on the same ride and I have logged my participation!).

However, I'd be a bit miffed if, say, Steve Abraham turned up and dumped in his personal backlog of 100k rides.
I would find that absolutely hilarious!

ColinJ: (Say) 16 points.
Steve Abraham: (Say) 1,073 points.

It would give us all a target to aim for the following year ... :laugh:

Fubar

Guru

I start in August 2013 to get myself going for the following year - haven't missed a month since... :becool:

Phew! Just in time for day length to preclude it, at least for me, I've managed my first 200km. Most chuffed, though it really brings home that once in a while some flatter terrain would be nice! What a bit of luck to have actual summer weather in October :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Phew! Just in time for day length to preclude it, at least for me, I've managed my first 200km. Most chuffed, though it really brings home that once in a while some flatter terrain would be nice! What a bit of luck to have actual summer weather in October :-)
Well done!

THAT ...
- 1st October 221.9km, 2 points (Tebay, Melmerby, Hartside, Alston, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Brough, Hawes, Ribblehead - 3,358m)
... certainly was NOT a flat one! :okay:

Thanks very much, Colin. The first 80km or so was sort of vaguely flat, if you miss out the two lumps at 30ish and 50ish, but beyond that, no, not really flat at all. On the upside, there are some really good downhill bits which go on a long time ^_^

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
October in the bag. I did have a 200k Audax lined up for today but for a number of reasons I bottled out and did a solo ride from home.

One of the best rides of the year. I started from Dartford in thick mist, crossed the M2 bridge over the Medway then worked my way upstream crossing as many bridges as possible. I managed 15 bridges. An imperial ton and just shy of 2,000m of climb. I'm well proud of that route.

Medway Bridges

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh, and I discovered a horrible hill. Priory Road out of Forest Row. It's not all that steep, only 3 or 4% and is 3.5km long. It has a new nice looking road surface that should be great, but it felt like it had been covered with glue. I think actually the problem was my legs, but I need an excuse.

Top Bottom