The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good idea to put it at the top of the new thread and I agree with all but one of those points - at least I do on first reading.

The second point (joining in any month) doesn't really make sense since within itself.
- If you can join at any time, why do you then have to rejoin in the following January after missing a month? i.e. that is internally inconsistent as a rule.
- What's the point in joining at any time since the threads (for each year) describe it as a calendar year, so there's no point joining half way through since it starts again (as defined by annual threads) the following January?

EDIT: My take on those contradictions would be that it should be a calendar year only, January-December, though first /posting/ after January, and listing a ride for every month prior to that should be fine.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the subject of joining half way through ...

If you find yourself in the summer fit enough for 100k a month, and need a bit of extra motivation, then why not join half way? Sure you won't manage the whole calendar year but if it gives you motivation to keep going then that's a good thing, surely.

If someone was unaware of the challenge or injured in January, or something like that it seems a bit mean to keep them out of the challenge. I myself didn't join until mid-late last year. For the previous couple of years I kept missing February, but getting into the challenge at the end of 2014 meant that I kept going through 2015. Just one month to go (fingers crossed).

Regarding inconsistency - I can try to reword that - unless there is broad disagreement - to say that you cannot rejoin during a year after missing a month. Obviously some rules are needed or else it becomes the "log a 100k ride when you feel like it" challenge.

I see your point. How about wording it something like this then, explaining the rationale within the rule?
- You may join the challenge in any month during the calendar year (since the idea is to provide motivation to complete at least one 100km ride per month, every month), but you can only join once per calendar year (since a key element of the challenge is to encourage consistency). i.e. If you miss a month, you should wait until the following calendar year to rejoin.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think we should also officially change the way that we are supposed to report rides in the challenges. The current way is supposed to be by editing the original post but that isn't in keeping with the way we have all been doing it which is by copying our previous post and adding the latest ride to the copy. The updated version is then posted to the bottom of the thread. That way, new ride reports pop up naturally rather than us having to go back up the thread to see if anything has been added.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think we should also officially change the way that we are supposed to report rides in the challenges. The current way is supposed to be by editing the original post but that isn't in keeping with the way we have all been doing it which is by copying our previous post and adding the latest ride to the copy. The updated version is then posted to the bottom of the thread. That way, new ride reports pop up naturally rather than us having to go back up the thread to see if anything has been added.
I think only the tuff guys in the Imperial challenge edit their posts, which requires special permission from teecher to do after a certain period of time. We all do it by quoting a previous post re-posting. Which is working well I think.

I agree with Colin and Dogtrousers: change it 'officially'. I like seeing people's progress and being prompted to look at it by the alerts. The downside is that referencing how people are doing is less easy, but that's a small loss for the more dynamic, active feel of posting a new post for every ride.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
.I'm done! Neck started hurting at about the 45 mile mark, but knew i wasn't going to get a better chance to finish this thing than today. Not sure whether I'll do another challenge next year. Might concentrate on club rides on Sundays, and get some more sightseeing trips in instead of grinding myself into the ground for distance targets. Was a great experience, though. Everyone should try one of the challenges once. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good show @Donger

I too finished this weekend. I even made myself a medal.
upload_2015-12-13_23-17-8.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well done to all who have completed the challenge so far :bravo:.
I am becoming slightly concerned that December is as usual, disappearing in a puff of smoke. I don't see me getting any opportunity to do 100km before Christmas; and then before you know it there's only a few days until the end of the year :ohmy:. I really need to get my finger out; don't want to be falling at the final hurdle ^_^.

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay, the challenge is to do at least one 100km+ ride each month for a full year, Chat related to the rides goes in this thread and details of the qualifying rides go in the other thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-2015-metric-century-100km-a-month-challenge.172280/ (There will likely be a fresh thread for 2016).

Hope that helps.

So I'm still a bit confused :smile:

Is it;

100km (cumulative rides) in a month
100km (cumulative rides in a day) a month
No. of 100km contiguous rides in a month

I'm doing ~49km rides, morning and evening which is close to 100km in a day, but not continuous single rides of 100km.

To me, "metric century a month" would mean accumulating 100km over a month.

I'm also thinking of challenging myself to a cumulative megemetre in January.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
So I'm still a bit confused :smile:

Is it;

100km (cumulative rides) in a month
100km (cumulative rides in a day) a month
No. of 100km contiguous rides in a month

I'm doing ~49km rides, morning and evening which is close to 100km in a day, but not continuous single rides of 100km.

To me, "metric century a month" would mean accumulating 100km over a month.

I'm also thinking of challenging myself to a cumulative megemetre in January.
It is to do 100km in a continuous single ride at least once a month. Whether it's allowed to be culmulative on the same day I'm not sure - the Imperial century challenge allows reasonable stops (say, a lunch break) within a ride but doesn't allow seperate rides morning and evening to count as one. However looking back at the original rules it doesn't specifically say that about the metric one.

What does everyone else reckon?

It's at least one ride of 100km, in one day, each month (as Rickshaw Phil just said).

As to a cumulative megametre ....... that would be one million metres. That's ...... quite ambitious really :eek:

@Rickshaw Phil Personally, I'd prefer that long breaks (morning ride then evening ride) weren't allowable, but I'm not overly bothered and the key thing is that it be in one day OR continuous. i.e. starting at 2200 and finishing at 0300 should count.

Top Bottom